Episode 158 - NO LESS A MAN

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 158 - NO LESS A MAN

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:45 am

Date: March 15, 1964

Summary: People in Virginia City question Roy Coffee’s ability to act as sheriff. Ben and Adam try to help Roy.

Written by: Jerry Adelmann
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Ray Teal as Sheriff Roy Coffee, John Kellogg as Wagner, William Zuckert as Browning

Slideshow courtesy of January

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 158 - NO LESS A MAN

Post by January » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Is 63 years of age old? Not in today's world? I guess it depends on what you do for a living. How 'bout if you were a lawyer. Let's say your mind was 100% intact and you are winning case after case and you are getting praise after praise about what a great job you're doing!

Is it the same for law inforcement officers? How about lawmen in the 1860's? Any difference there?

I have mixed feelings about what was shown in this episode. Although I'm a huge fan of Sheriff Coffee and this episode "No Less A Man". It showed how brains won over braun. At the time the episode was filmed, the actor playing Sheriff Roy Coffee was 63 years old. We can assume that the character was about that age too. :yes

Are you feeling safe on the streets of Virginia City with someone that probably can't out run a bandit? In the fight between brains and braun, are we OK with having an aging sheriff that still has all his wits about him? Do we keep this sheriff because we love and adore him?

Would Sheriff Coffee have been so successful without the help of the Cartwrights?

What's your thoughts?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:51 am

I'm close to Roy's age. I'm not ready to give up my life yet but in the mid-1800's people didn't live as long. If you feel like you can do things-keep going. My auntie is in her 80's and still works. It depends on the person and how they're feeling. Virginia City was a growing town so Roy needed several deputies to help him but no, he shouldn't have been forced to step down if he didn't want to.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
MegDJanuary

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:54 am

If Bonanza was set 100 years in the future, and Roy Coffee was the head of the local PD, then I would have had complete and utter faith that the best man was doing the job. Because of his integrity, foresight, strength of character. But this is Virginia City, in the 1860s, a tough Western town, where a few younger sprightlier deputies may have come in handy - to do his running and shooting for him.

Seems to me that the townsfolk were a bit mean to want Roy out after just one incident though. If there had been a succession of Roy failings then I could see why they'd want him to go.
These users thanked the author Sierra Girl for the post:
January

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:56 am

63 was old back then but Bonanza often showed sheriffs who were old and/or overweight. Their sheriff's and marshals weren't in the mold of Matt Dillon or Wyatt Earp. And even today, 63 CAN be old--it al depends on the person and their lifestyle.

This episode is following on the heels on a an incident that took place in the antecedent action--Coffee was shot by a drunk. Even Adam says it shouldn't have happened. Roy also has doubts about his abilities and that's why he loses his temper. He wouldn't have been able to succeed with his plan without the C's help and if one thing had gone awry, Coffee's plan wouldn't have worked at all. If the gang hadn't summarily given up and held out for a day or longer, the banker in the vault would have suffocated. Better if the safe/vault would have been left open and the doors barred while they were packing up the money. But that's just me--I always analyze what I see as to what's credible and what isn't. (Like Gone Girl--OMG--so much that is ridiculous about that plot but it was still a good movie.)

But I do enjoy this episode, the tenderness between Adam and Roy and the revelation as to why Roy chose to become a sheriff makes me smile. And it's obvious how much it takes for Adam to tell Roy what the town council wants to do--he's angry about Roy jumping on him when he's checking the rifles but works to contain it so that when he reveals the reason that he checking weapons, etc., he's not sounding as if he's responding out of anger.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
January
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

lovemychico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 345
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Amazon Buyer
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019

View all badges

Post by lovemychico » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:13 pm

This is one of my favorites that I do not get tired of watching. I love the way Adam handles the situation with Roy in this episode. Is 63 too old? I think it depends on the person's lifestyle and how that person is coping with life. Could Roy have handled it without the C's? Well the Adam did help him fix the windows in the bank (bars over them) and at the end the C's did fire their guns and help with the capture of the robbers. But I am sure that Roy was brains behind the capture. They evened each other out and helped each other in a time of need.
These users thanked the author lovemychico for the post:
January
Joe's Southern Gal. I am his favorite!!
"But Pa, I Love Her" :hearts
:bejules Proud member of BHA
Proud Owner of Joe's pants, Lafe's Auction June 2016

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:24 pm

We only saw deputies when they were needed for the plot, but in a city the size of Virginia City back then, Roy would have had lots of deputies to manage; I think Roy was perfectly capable of being the sheriff.

That said, I do like Roy; he was a real character, not just the "insert sheriff here" lawman. He was grumpy, often yelled at Ben and the boys, but you could tell he had a real friendship with Ben and a fondness for Adam, Hoss, and Joe.

Yeah, the episode strained credulity, but then, most Bonanza episodes did.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
January
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Probably realistically, Roy would not have reached age 63 as a sheriff in the old west but would have been replaced, not re-elected or resigned or been killed. I can think of a couple of movies where a similar ploy was used by an aging main character, with some strategic help, to outsmart the bad guys. It's always enjoyable to watch, and there is a lot to be said for experience vs bravado. I take some encouragement out of the theme.
These users thanked the author elizabeth for the post:
January
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Post by showdown » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:17 am

It is not necessary to do the job alone. We all need help. Of course Sheriff Coffee needs deputies. And apparently Clem and his colleagues were on holiday, so the Cartwrights had to stand in.
In the beginning of my watching BZ I didn´t think much of Coffee as a Sheriff. I considered him as too old and slowly. But this episode rescues his reputation for me. It´s not negative to be old and slowly. :no Therefore you have other qualities which can save your life. And you must not give up an old friend just because he has no good surveys.
Isn´t it funny when Coffee returns after his walk and he thinks he is in the wrong house, because Adam had brought order into the Sheriffs office. :ha Coffee didn´t recognised his own office!
These users thanked the author showdown for the post:
January

Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Post by Jeanny » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Just because of you I explored the episode I never saw before. It was quite dramatically, sure it was shortened in Bonanza style. How else that would be work in that short time of an episode?

So my resume is, Roy Coffee was THE leading man. I wondered all the time about these strong allegations against him from men in obviously the same age like him. Why did nobody has taken up this point??? - On the other hand, I know a couple of - especially - men who do not know when things has to be quitted, although they know very well that it is time to pass over responsibility.

But a Roy Coffee knows when his time has come and I understand his disappointment that nobody believed him from the outset...

P.S. "No less a man" - Can somebody give me a correct Translation to German? ("Kein Geringerer" sagt mir linguee, aber das hört sich irgendwie komisch an...)
These users thanked the author Jeanny for the post:
January

Return to “Season 5”