Episode 157 - THE PURE TRUTH

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 157 - THE PURE TRUTH

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:42 am

Date: March 8, 1964

Summary: Every year Hoss suffers from spring fever and causes a lot of trouble. This year, Hoss accidentally takes the wrong stage coach and finds himself in an unfriendly town.

Written by: Lois Hire
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Stanley Adams as Sheriff Tate, Glenda Farrell as Lullabelle Watkins, Ray Teal as Sheriff Roy Coffee

Slideshow courtesy of Freya

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 157 - THE PURE TRUTH

Post by snapdragon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:09 am

:grin

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:42 am

Hold Hoss good and tight, boys! It's time for that sulfur and molasses! Yum! That's my favorite part of the episode. I liked the way Lulabelle helps Hoss.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
snapdragon

longhair
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 156
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 25,000 Posts
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Valentine's Day 2019 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Don't Blink Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Post by longhair » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 pm

That is one of my favorite Hoss episodes! :yes
These users thanked the author longhair for the post:
snapdragon

Bernie Cartwheel
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

PODs

View all badges

Post by Bernie Cartwheel » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:20 pm

I noticed that Ray Teal was wearing a wristwatch in the scene where Hoss grabs Roy's arm after slamming his hand in the drawer, as he accidentally pulls up the sleeve just enough to reveal that little detail.
Michael Scott wrote:I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Curly Howard wrote:Well being as there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.
Image :ben :ranch2

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:27 pm

Oh this is one of my favorite Hoss episodes. And it's one of my favorite all time episodes! I just love that Lulabelle Watkins! :grin

She had such a great no nonsense personality. She was honest and direct and didn't suffer fools gladly. She was independent and strong too. I like the way she took to Hoss and helped him.

I often wonder why the writers gave that type of personality to women who would not be romantically involved with a Cartwright. But when it came to a romantic interest, the women often had weak personalities. The women Cartwrights fell for were so often portrayed as easily manipulated like Melinda Banning, afraid of her own shadow like Rebecca Kaufman, wishy washy like Laura Dayton or near death like Laura White.

This is such a fun episode that it always reminds me that the Cartwrights never seemed to have much fun with their romantic interests. The women always cause heartache and/or die. The women with backbones usually seemed to be Lulabelle or Trudy the mountain girl.
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
ellie

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 am

PJudith wrote: I often wonder why the writers gave that type of personality to women who would not be romantically involved with a Cartwright. But when it came to a romantic interest, the women often had weak personalities. The women Cartwrights fell for were so often portrayed as easily manipulated like Melinda Banning, afraid of her own shadow like Rebecca Kaufman, wishy washy like Laura Dayton or near death like Laura White.

This is such a fun episode that it always reminds me that the Cartwrights never seemed to have much fun with their romantic interests. The women always cause heartache and/or die. The women with backbones usually seemed to be Lulabelle or Trudy the mountain girl.
This is so true; they never seemed to fall for the "whacky, fun" girl. I can think of a couple reasons:
1. I hate to generalize, but maybe the "pretty ingenue" actresses just weren't good enough to do comedy
2. If a character is fun or has backbone, it's harder for a viewer to see her die
3. This type of character appears in comedies, so you don't want a tragic ending.

I like the episode too, even though it's a little silly. "Spring fever"? Really? But the glee that Adam and Joe exhibit when dosing Hoss seems so true to life!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks for commenting on my ideas about Cartwright women.

It's true that maybe it was hard to find young actresses who could "do" comedy. But, I'm not asking for Phyllis Diller here, just a woman with a sense of humor. :grin Yeah, I think I get what you mean. Not everybody can do comedy. But the actress who played Trudy the Mountain Girl was funny. She wasn't doing knee-slapping comedy, but she was fun. I just meant that the Cartwrights never seemed to court any women who were fun at all or who even made them smile. It was all so serious courtship.

Back then in their day (1860's) of no radio, no TV, no movies,etc, you'd want to be with someone wo could make you smile, someone you could have fun with sometimes. Romance and fun are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Yes the Lulabelle character was meant for a comedy episode. That's one of my problems with the Cartwright romance history. They could've had a romantic interest in a comedy episode. I don't know why everything had to be deathly serious with those guys. Yeah sometimes literally "deathly" serious!

"Harder to see her die"? So who said she had to die? :laughing I didn't find it any easier to see Laura White or Amy Bishop die just because they were in serious episodes.

It just comes down to my own feelings that I wish the Cartwrights could've had some FUN with their girlfriends! Of course I do think Adam had some fun with Suellen and we know how THAT ended. Not good. :no The Cartwrights seemed to enjoy life and joking and having fun. But when it came to romance, time to put on the serious face.

Return to “Season 5”