Episode 149 - THE PONDEROSA MATADOR

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Re: Episode 149 - THE PONDEROSA MATADOR

Post by debpet2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Appreciated the quote from the article about Marianna Hill. The part about the Edwin Booth play that LG was involved in especially interested me. As a theater person I've always been intrigued by the idea that the famous actor was a friend of Adam's (per the episode The Actress). My understanding is that, while Edwin did withdraw from acting for a time after his brother assassinated Lincoln, he was able to eventually resume his career successfully. Of course, he had his own problems...alcohol among them...but I wouldn't say he was ruined.

debpet2 :adam

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:42 pm

This is a favorite episode for so many reasons. The charge of the Cartwright brothers into the saloon was one thing, but watching Ben line up his sons in their tattered clothes to read them the riot act was absolutely priceless.

Little Joe and Hoss both looked guilty plenty of times throughout a lot of episodes. I don't think Adam ever backed down quite like he did in that moment. He and Joe had raised all kinds of Hades together in town. He didn't have an excuse. :ha

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Not having an excuse isn't usually something Adam needed to worry about. This time ... all three of the boys were into the competition. I think Adam had the least actual interest in the visiting senorita and the most interest in actually winning the competition for its own sake, and I'm pretty sure that little stroll back into the house with the lady on his arm after the guitar serenade was, for him, the proof he could win (maybe too easily?) if he wanted to. I think Joe's attitude was more or less if he got the girl, fine, as long as he didn't finish last, only Hoss had notions about how mean the bull needed to be that were well beyond what he signed up for; and I'm pretty sure this is the fiercest I've ever seen Hoss in his determination to come out ahead of his big brother. That he winds up with the girl (and Adam looks pretty okay with that, while Joe -- predictably? -- looks put out) is actually about the best possible outcome. In a lot of ways this is every bit as good as Springtime, although Ben doesn't get to have near as much fun at the end (and am I the only one who saw him having to work hard not to go over that rail into the saloon after Joe and Adam?).
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:13 pm

The best part of the episode: when Hoss gets the girl. It's a priceless moment, worth more than a thousand words!!! :yes
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

TABS
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Post by TABS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Makes me laugh every time :laughing

Ponderosaism

Post by Ponderosaism » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Adam is my favourite but in this episode I'm happy that Hoss "won" Dolores.
These users thanked the author Ponderosaism for the post:
PlatoofthePonderosa
"Peasants"

Sierras
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 100
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe Cartwright

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 David Canary Birthday 2019
Poetry Portfolio Amazon Buyer Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
5,000 Posts Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Reader's Choice Level 4 BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by Sierras » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 am

And Little Joe is my favorite, and I'm also glad Hoss wins. Hoss has two brothers who can be devious at times. They've pulled pranks on him, and done different things to him. Those are the kind of brothers that Hoss has to deal with at times. It's fun that he wins over both of them, and basically gets back at them. :grin :yes :ha
These users thanked the author Sierras for the post (total 2):
PlatoofthePonderosaRedShirt
"Like father like sons." Echoed by Little Joe in "Springtime"
"Now I know that we are only half brothers, but we are brothers." Adam in "The Hayburner"

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:41 pm

I took my Bonanza set over to my friend's house yesterday, and I told you to choose one. The disc she chose for some reason wasn't working in the machine, so she had her brother fix it and told me to pick one. I chose this one because it's one of the best comedy ones (besides Hoss and the Leprechauns) on Season Five. She had a terrific time watching it, and I felt glad that she enjoyed it.

What was even funnier was her mom walked in on us at the beginning where Joe and Hoss are at the staircase, and she was telling us about how she'd watched Little House on the Prairie. Then, still looking at Hoss and Joe, she said, "One of those two guys played Pa Ingalls. I forget which one it was."
I ended up telling her it was Michael Landon. :rotfl
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post (total 3):
Jim Barnsbydaisy60PlatoofthePonderosa
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:22 pm

She forgot which one it was? She must not have watched Little House very much. :rotfl I love Ponderosa Matador. The episodes with all of the sons are the best! :tvsmiley
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
Sharrylittlejoenice

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:28 pm

daisy60 wrote:She forgot which one it was? She must not have watched Little House very much. :rotfl I love Ponderosa Matador. The episodes with all of the sons are the best! :tvsmiley
Not to mention that Dan had died before Bonanza ended. I've gotta agree - she must not have watched LHOTP a lot. Even if you're not particularly a fan it's easy to tell Mike and Dan apart.
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
littlejoenice

Return to “Season 5”