Episode 149 - THE PONDEROSA MATADOR

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 149 - THE PONDEROSA MATADOR

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:29 am

Date: January 12, 1964

Summary: Ben and his boys await visitors from Mexico. The bull breeder’s daughter, Dolores, soon becomes a victim of Adam’s, Joe’s and Hoss’ efforts to impress her.

Written by: Alex Sharp
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Victor Sen Yung as Hop Sing, Marianna Hill as Dolores Tenino, Nestor Paiva as Senor Tenino

Slideshow courtesy of Adamant

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Re: Episode 149 - THE PONDEROSA MATADOR

Post by PJudith » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:17 pm

The episode that brought the phrase "A ha! Toro" into the popular lexicon.

It is so funny how the brothers engage in a rivalry to squire about the lovely senorita. I love the way Dolores plays along and encourages them just to see who will make the biggest fool of himself. :yes

Hoss and Joe, suspicious: He (Adam) has something up his sleeve. Yeah, a hairy arm.

Adam, first out of the starting gate: His welcoming greeting in Spanish that included a swipe about "mis hermanitos" ( my little brothers)

Joe, the expert: I bought and paid for the book!

Hoss: Just because you bought and paid for the book, that don't make you an expert! :no

Joe's hot liniment rub: It says right on the bottle "For farm animals, not for use on humans" That's me- human!

Joe: Jigger Thurman's BULL! :thud He wasn't too happy to hear that.

One of the funniest episodes ever. Marianna Hill was so lovely as Dolores and just as conniving at the brothers. I could imagine she was amused at their antics and wanted to see how far they would go.

I just wish I never found out that they actually kill the bull in real bullfighting. However in this case, the guys were lucky to escape with THEIR lives.
Last edited by PJudith on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 64

BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 Out Of The Blue 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 pm

It's a funny one all right. I've often thought that if the bull really did as much damage as Ben claimed in the final scene the Cartwrights' financial status would have been seriously undermined paying for it and they would have been banned from VC for some period of time. :laughing

debpet2 :adam

Cartwright kid65
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Post by Cartwright kid65 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:06 am

:laughing it's one of my favorites funny episodes. Every time I see it I can not stop laughing ( I really get stomach pain ...) ... 3 brothers who strive for a girl ...each of them tried, in his own art, to prove the girl. " True brother love"" :thumbup ! The interaction of this 3 brothers is simply gorgeous. Finally Hoss can outdo his Brothers. This time HE convinced Joe to do something crazy. :grin otherwise it's mostly Joe, who has any crazy ideas. :blah .

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 am

This is a hilarious episode! I love when the bull goes into the saloon [for a beer?] and Adam and Joe say 'all right' and run in after him. They sure seemed to be having a great time with this episode.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Cartwright kid65

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 176
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 am

This is one of my top two or three favorite episodes. I was dying with laughter almost the entire time!

"I'm scaring him to death, Hoss!" -Joe

"Hoss, you've got to be the bravest bullfight promoter in the whole world." -Joe

"Why don't you try serenading him with your guitar?" -Ben

"You ought to get out in the sun, boy. You're looking a little pale." -Adam

And also, when the boys are chasing the bull: "Bull-y! Bull-y!"
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post (total 2):
Cartwright kid65littlejoenice
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 pm

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:This is one of my top two or three favorite episodes. I was dying with laughter almost the entire time!

"I'm scaring him to death, Hoss!" -Joe

"Hoss, you've got to be the bravest bullfight promoter in the whole world." -Joe

"Why don't you try serenading him with your guitar?" -Ben

"You ought to get out in the sun, boy. You're looking a little pale." -Adam

And also, when the boys are chasing the bull: "Bull-y! Bull-y!"
I couldn't have said it better myself! :rotfl
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post (total 2):
CowgirlAtHeartCartwright kid65
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am

Here's an article about Marianna Hill (Dolores):
http://metv.com/lists/marianna-hill-cha ... n-and-more

It points to this as the source article: http://hillplace.blogspot.com/2016/12/m ... rview.html

(I've broken the quote into paragraphs to make it easier to read):
Hill next guest starred as a seductive Mexican girl who wins the heart of all the Cartwright brothers in the light hearted "Bonanza" episode titled "Ponderosa Matador" that aired on NBC on January 12, 1964. As with "Gunsmoke," Hill enjoyed working on this episode because of the opportunity to work with her leading men Lorne Greene, Pernell Roberts, Dan Blocker, and Michael Landon.

Hill recalls, "When I was a kid I worked at the La Jolla Playhouse and Lorne Greene was in a show that Jose Ferrer wrote called 'Edwin Booth,' which was about the brother of John Wilkes Booth, who killed President Lincoln. Edwin Booth was a great actor in London, but because of his brother killing the President, he was just disgraced and ruined. The play was about people kicking Edwin Booth out of the business and that's how I knew Lorne. He was great and Pernell Roberts, Dan Blocker and Michael Landon were so fascinating because they were all down to earth. They became so imbued in their characters that they really were the people they played. They weren't acting. They just *were.*

And many an instance, they'd sit on the set and they'd talk about their real estate, just like they did in the show. They would say, 'I've irrigated the land and got the 10 acres there and we're going to develop it and we'll use the proceeds to feed the Mexicans living there,' or they'd say, 'Well, now we've got the orange grove and what are we going to do? There are all of these people there who were interred in the Japanese work camps years earlier and we've got to put them to work.' They were very socially minded people and they were very politically advanced. They really wanted to help people with their purchase of land by growing crops and taking care of the locals. They were good people who were highly moral and principled guys. They completely echoed the people they played."
The entire blog article is worth a read. I'm glad to see she's still with us !
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:18 pm

I read several articles about Marianna Hill. I'm glad she was able to see the guys as they really are and not just as actors. That's so wonderful to read about all of them wanting to help others. All four of them had big hearts. It is so good that she's still around today.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Cartwright kid65

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 306

Forum Moderator Librarian Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day Convention 2019 Convention Swag 2019

View all badges

Post by patina » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:24 pm

If I were limited to one episode to have, Ponderosa Matador is it. This ep has everything--romance, a scheme, double-crossing, a serenade, roughhousing, a faux bull fight, a massage, livestock, and torn clothing. (Yes, I'm shallow.)

Thanks for the article with the Marianna Hill interview, ellen. I had no idea she was in High Plains Drifter. She really is chameleon-like in her many and varied roles.
These users thanked the author patina for the post (total 3):
SharryellenCartwright kid65
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

Return to “Season 5”