Episode 148 - THE LILA CONRAD STORY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 148 - THE LILA CONRAD STORY

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:28 am

Date: January 5, 1964

Summary: Joe and Adam accompany a judge. While traveling, Joe finds a saloon girl in the back of the wagon and finds out that she is wanted for murder. Because she appears helpless and not guilty, Joe wants to take her back to Virginia City in order to give her the chance to have a fair trail.

Written by: Preston Wood, George Waggner
Directed by: Tay Garnett
Guest Stars: Andrew Duggan as Judge, Patricia Blair as Lila Conrad

Slideshow courtesy of January

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 361
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day
BINGO Snail Valentine's Day Modern Art Tier 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 148 - THE LILA CONRAD STORY

Post by January » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Why is this episode talked about so little? I think this is a good episode filled with a lot of great Adam/Joe moments. There's humor, angst, mystery and surprises. We even have a scumbag judge willing to run away with a saloon girl with his wife about 6 feet away watching and hearing the whole thing unfold. This episode has a little of everything for everybody!

What parts did you like best? If you didn't like this episode, why not?
These users thanked the author January for the post:
Julianna
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:07 am

I like the closeness between Adam and Joe. There were some good 'brother' moments. I also like that both of them seemed protective of the saloon girl, almost brotherly. The judge gave me the creeps. His wife was a sweet lady and he was rude to her. What was strange to me is even several days later, after hiding in Joe's wagon, the saloon girl seemed to have that hat glued onto her head!

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 am

I pretty much echo daisy's sentiments. liked Adam and Joe's interactions with Lila and each other, but I was not a fan of that judge. :sad He was very creepy, and hypocritical, and almost fanatical. He was bad, but I think the actor was to "good" to play him as bad as he should've been. I dunno- maybe it's just me. :shrug
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

This does have some great brother moments between Adam and Joe. A couple of my favorite quotes:

Adam and Judge Knowlton after the judge fussed at Joe for going to a saloon - a classy way to say "Mind your own business!"
Adam: "Excuse me, but we're all going to be living kinda close together for the next few days, so I think we might get along better if you sorta take the Cartwrights as you find them."
Judge: "If you insist."
Adam: "I'm afraid I do."

And my favorite:
Adam to Joe as Judge Knowlton is crawling to his wife after being caught with Lila: "I'll bet that's the longest 50 feet he ever walked."

Mary was so sweet and kind to accept her husband back. Not many women would have - I sure wouldn't!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 pm

I do like this episode for all the previously stated reasons. But there was something that struck me as funny(ha,ha)! When the group is traveling Lila starts off sitting with Joe, Judge and Sarah are together and Adam is by himself. Then later Joe is alone Lila is with the Judge and Sarah is riding with Adam. I liked how Adam keeps his cool with Joe when he finds out Joe is hiding Lila.
Last edited by Julianna on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 135
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8
Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 am

I only just discovered this episode, and I'm posting as I listen to it. I have always liked Patricia Blair, as I first seen her as Lou Mallory on The Rifleman, and then as Rebecca Boone on Daniel Boone.
But to see her as a saloon girl, after everything she's been in, is a little bit strange. She is very pretty here, and I love her long hair.

I didn't like Andrew Duggan. I find that he is too pushy, and overbearing. Perhaps even a bit of a bully.
Adam and Joe's parts were written perfectly, and I especially like the part where Adam is so casual after Judge Knowlton practically tells Joe what kind of girls and people he should hang around with.
Although I liked that piece, I found that it was a bit off. I mean, if Ben had been there, I don't think he would've taken the suggestions so lightly.

Lila's tearful confession is brought on by the judge's words. Even so, she still killed in self-defense something no one can be sent to prison, if it can be proved. In Lila's case, I think it could be, but then again, considering the type of person she was, the presiding judge would still have blamed her for provoking such an unwanted act.

Adam and Joe's conversation is the perfect brotherly companionship. I enjoyed seeing that in a lot of episodes, it was something I waited for, just as I did with the father/son moments.
I think it's because of these moments that I use so much of it in my stories.

As for the judge, I say he deserved to die: filling poor Lila's head with all that nonsense, when she indeed kill in self-defense. We all saw pretty good reasons for her actions at the beginning of the episode.

As for whether or not I liked it, I think this time I'll have to say no. It wasn't quite as interesting as some of the others I've seen, and seeing Patricia Blair as a saloon girl after she played such a loving and devoted wife and mother on Daniel Boone is kind of startling.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am

A great Adam/Joe episode. The Cartwrights presented a united front. Adam didn't seem too happy with what Joe had done. But he was not about to allow the judge to be critical of his little brother.

That judge needed a bucket of cold water thrown on his libido! No way was he concerned with "the law" or "justice" when he was looking at Lila. :whistling He was a man who was bored with his wife and marriage and had a roving eye.

He had a lovely wife who was sweet and understanding. Lucky for him! But, boy was he a hypocrite. I hope he spent a long time making things up to his wife.

A4ever
Badges: 1

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by A4ever » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:45 am

In my humble opinion and experience of the world, this episode portrays perfectly that those men (and women) who are the biggest and loudest judges of the 'bad passions' of this world, is so because they know themselves so well. If they do not stand against it they would fall for it. As he did. :thud

Very good Adam and Joe episode.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 am

! agree with you, A4ever. I read that this started out as a Adam and Hoss episode, which would have been good, but I like the way Joe tended to look up to Adam in many episodes, such as this one. What amazed me was that throughout the episode-Lila was in the back of Joe's wagon, still wearing that ugly feather in her hair!

Return to “Season 5”