Episode 145 - THE LEGACY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
lovemychico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 345
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Amazon Buyer
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 145 - THE LEGACY

Post by lovemychico » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:36 am

[center]MY FAVORITE EPISODE!!!!!

I love when Ben describes his sons, they are each their own person. Adam the cool and calm, but then Adam can be a bit touchy when it comes to family. Hoss is always the peacemaker and after talking to the boy, he knew what he had to do :yes . Joe had me a little scared there at the end but after all he was a Cartwright (with a hot temper) and Ben's son, he did do the right thing. He sure did put up a good fight too. I do feel that at the end, Joe and Pa should have embraced and really been glad to see each other. :hugs Again by far the best episode ever, IMO.[/center][/color]
Joe's Southern Gal. I am his favorite!!
"But Pa, I Love Her" :hearts
:bejules Proud member of BHA
Proud Owner of Joe's pants, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Trooper0911
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Hoss

Post by Trooper0911 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:00 pm

This is truly one of the best episodes. I m sorry but Daisy 60 has written about the wrong episode. No puppies or shirtless Adam in the Legacy, those are from Springtime!

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:34 am

I found out after I posted! For some reason Springtime went into my pointed, little brain. I'm so sorry about that!

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 pm

One of my favorite episodes. I love the ones where the story revolves around the differences and similarities between the three brothers. I absolutely believed Little Joe was going to shoot that guy; ML's intensity sold it to me.

The comment, "Well,two out of three ain't bad," put me off because it made me think the guy was hoping one of Ben's perfect sons would screw up.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 150
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 pm

WOW! There's been... quite some discussion here about the whys and why nots. Why did this happen? Why didn't that happen? Well, to clear things up, and to help out all the other Boomers here, I wrote my own little scene that I feel should have been there. I was inspired by all the comments put here, so thanks, guys. You can check out my short scene by clicking below. Hope you all like it!

https://www.bonanzaboomers.com/forums/vi ... 98&t=28145
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Sierras
Buckaroo
Buckaroo
Badges: 107
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe Cartwright

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 8
Reader's Choice Level 6 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 David Canary Birthday 2019 Poetry Portfolio
Amazon Buyer Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 5,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by Sierras » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:34 am

I really like this episode. I especially like episodes that focus on the three brothers. I love that each of the brothers ends up dong the right thing. Oh, and that ending when Little Joe comes home. Wow! :joe
These users thanked the author Sierras for the post:
Sharry
"Like father like sons." Echoed by Little Joe in "Springtime"
"Now I know that we are only half brothers, but we are brothers." Adam in "The Hayburner"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 am

Joe did look quite intense as he pointed that rifle! Thank goodness he came to his senses and did the right thing. I love episodes that have all three sons.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
SierrasSharry

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Recently saw this one again, and ... well, I have to take issue with the assumption all three sons "went for the kill."

All three sons -- Joe with explicit instructions from Ben -- went to find out what had happened. That said ... today, this wouldn't have been one episode, but a season-ending cliffhanger, and I think the stories involved are good enough to deserve being a two-hour piece. That way we'd've SEEN the things that feel obviously "cut out" from the three sons' encounters with men they suspect had something to do with Ben's vanishing.

I did get reminded of Springtime -- Ben's statement about Adam, particularly, to his rescuer echoes his comments to Jedediah nearly word-for-word. But these are not the same young men, and they're not on the same kind of missions, the Cartwright sons of "Springtime" showed us. Here we have three men absolutely sure they're on the trail of a family member's killer. Here we have three men absolutely convinced justice is theirs to administer. Here we have three men who are as pushed to the limit by fear and anger and fury as TV in the 1960s could show us; and the results for one or all of these men could've been tragedies.

If not for their father's legacy.

If not for Ben's dedication to fairness, truth, justice (as opposed to legality or vengeance or both), Adam might indeed not have gone out to wait in the street, and had time to think: reflect, consider, go over evidence in his own mind, work out whether the man he'd accosted could be lying to him or had told him the truth, unpalatable though that truth might well be. If not for his father's patience, Adam's might not have encompassed that long walk across the street to face the difference between his expectations and reality with an eye toward balance. If not for Ben's mercifulness, Hoss might have had a much harder time leaving a boy without a parent. If not for Ben's dedication to doing the right thing even when it's much harder, Joe might have pulled the trigger on that rifle.

Certainly all three had sufficient provocation. Undeniably all three had sufficient belief in the rightness of their cause. Without question all three had the skill to win any fight the men they'd run to earth might put up. But all three had something else in common, and while we're never shown that explicitly, it's exactly why the actions of each son are so directly juxtaposed -- at perfect opposition -- to the descriptions their father gives of each of them. All three of them had their father's expectations to live up to; and all three chose to act in accord with those expectations.

Adam's the first, of course; Adam's the one with the most to lose here. He's got that reputation for being a reasonable man. He's got that reputation for levelheadedness. Ben expects him to rein in his temper. Ben expects him to think. Ben expects him to listen and weigh the facts before he takes action. We're supposed to infer that Adam maybe suspected the man he followed hadn't been the man to kill Ben; and we're supposed to take for granted that when son and father are reunited, after this ordeal, Adam will take not having committed a murder in stride, and Ben will give him the understated support he appreciates most. Adam's the grownup. All ways, and always.

Hoss has the most time to spend learning about the man he's followed, and the most background to incline him to be merciful shown explicitly in the episode. This is not without reason: the thing you do not ever want to do is threaten Hoss's family. Not his brothers; not Hop Sing; not Candy (later), and for sure and certain not his Pa. He's already convinced, before he arrives, that he's on a mission of revenge this time, that the father he loves as much as he loves life itself, is beyond his reach. There's no reunion possible; he knows that. But this is Hoss. What does Ben expect from Hoss? He expects patience and gentleness and, yes, mercy. And in the long run that's what his gentle giant of a son lives up to: the expectation that Hoss will look for the best in everyone, and act on that. It's fitting that we see this reunion, too: we need to know that Ben repays Hoss's trust with joy.

Joe? Joe worries us. We see him set upon by fatigue, by temper, by ... the cocksure black-and-white, wrong-and-right attitude of youth. Joe grieves. Joe rages. Joe makes us most nearly doubt the power of Ben's influence on his sons, because Joe is so much NOT like his older brother, or his big brother. Joe's the fighter. Joe's the tear-down-the-door-where-angels-fear-to-tread bullheaded youngster who doesn't stop to think. Until he does, albeit perhaps subconsciously, while looking down the barrel of his father's rifle, and finds he cannot pull the trigger. That's Ben's expectation of him: Joe will do the right thing, even if it's difficult. And that difficulty, for them both, gets reflected in the way Ben responds to Joe's tale.

We, in this episode, are on the outside looking in; and while we're shown all the differences between the brothers in exquisite detail, we're also shown how each of them really is what Ben says, really does live up to the expectations Ben has of them. I really do wish there'd been two parts, so we could see all the details of the reunions.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post (total 7):
CowgirlAtHeartSharrySierrasdaisy60PlatoofthePonderosalittlejoenicemanulanee
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 311
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Librarian Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:08 pm

RedShirt wrote: Adam's the first, of course; Adam's the one with the most to lose here. He's got that reputation for being a reasonable man. He's got that reputation for levelheadedness. Ben expects him to rein in his temper. Ben expects him to think. Ben expects him to listen and weigh the facts before he takes action. We're supposed to infer that Adam maybe suspected the man he followed hadn't been the man to kill Ben; and we're supposed to take for granted that when son and father are reunited, after this ordeal, Adam will take not having committed a murder in stride, and Ben will give him the understated support he appreciates most. Adam's the grownup. All ways, and always.
Your well-stated “Ben’s views” of Adam is the Adam we also see in Death at Dawn. As much as Adam may want to act first, ask questions later as Joe might, Adam knows he has to carefully study the chess board and plan his strategy accordingly.

Also, the Adam we see in The Legacy, the one who stands in wait for his man to step outside, is reminiscent of the Adam we see in My Brother’s Keeper. When Adam gets the medicine from Dowd, he threatens to kill Dowd if Joe dies. Adam’s anger and menace are palpable and it’s easy to believe Dowd’s life hung by a slender thread. What might have happened if Ben hadn’t burst through the door shortly after Adam went up to Joe’s room with the medicine? Adam’s anger has dissipated with the sunrise, though; perhaps because of the comfort Adam takes in his father’s presence, leaving a feeling that everything will be all right after all.

I enjoyed your analysis of all three sons, RedShirt. :thumbup
These users thanked the author patina for the post (total 5):
RedShirtSharrySierrasPlatoofthePonderosalittlejoenice
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 150
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 pm

WOW! That was amazing, RedShirt. You did a terrific job laying out "Ben's expectations" of his sons, and I think you nailed it.
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
RedShirt
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Return to “Season 5”