Episode 145 - THE LEGACY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Re: Episode 145 - THE LEGACY

Post by Jeanny » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:20 am

What gets me very mouch of that episode is Ben's worrying for his boys. As a parent by myself, I can feel his uncertainty about what of his education worked in the end. And his big relief THAT it has been working!!! We all are people with so many different Features that one cannot be safe what works out in what special moment. So, the boys didn't fail as good sons and Ben didn't fail as a good father.

From this point of view that episode was very sincere!!
These users thanked the author Jeanny for the post (total 2):
LittleJoe4EverChenoa

showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Post by showdown » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:06 am

Sheriff Coffee is asking the most obvious question: “Why do you believe your Pa is dead?” The boys assume immediately that he has been killed. It´s a weakness in the story IMO. But in such a situation all sons are upset and impetuous.
We see an endearing family-story with all Cartwrights.
I like it when Ben is describing Adam as a calm boy who wouldn´t do an injudiciousness in emergency case. Then – cut - and you see Adam rough, being at someones throat. Yes, in such a situation, when it comes to the family, a cool head can become a hot head.
The best remark says Hoss about Little Joe, as he is seeing Ben worried about what his youngest son could have done: "He is still one of your sons, Pa." Little Joe is able to think sober and doesn´t make a panic in stress situation. He would always stay a good Cartwright.

There are some very fine close-ups of Adam! When he is talking to Sheriff Coffee his cheekbones are prominent! (Is it allowed to post this picture here?)

Boomers Gallery, thanks AgnethaF

What a pleasure to see Scotty from the Enterprise in a small part.
These users thanked the author showdown for the post (total 3):
JeannyLittleJoe4Everlittlejoenice

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 150
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:28 pm

"Why do you believe your Pa is dead?"
The infamous question asked by Sheriff Coffee in this episode.
What was the reply?
One of them, Joe, I think it was, swung Buck's saddle onto Roy's desk, declaring that there was "blood on the saddle."
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
Jeanny
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:26 pm

This one was a bit out of character in that our boys were blood thirsty but I think each played it well. In the same manner as Springtime, I enjoyed the character study of our favorite family. Ben in the wagon proudly describing each son was as much a pleasure to me as watching those scenes unfold. James Best was typically the badden but in this one he was a doting father - nice red herring there. The grocer didn't appear to be as much of a threat, so I didn't really understand why Adam was leaning on that pole. Granted, he looked good doing it but I'm left with the feeling that something was cut from that scene.
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post (total 2):
LittleJoe4Everlittlejoenice
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:11 am

Calamity wrote:This one was a bit out of character in that our boys were blood thirsty but I think each played it well. In the same manner as Springtime, I enjoyed the character study of our favorite family. Ben in the wagon proudly describing each son was as much a pleasure to me as watching those scenes unfold. James Best was typically the badden but in this one he was a doting father - nice red herring there. The grocer didn't appear to be as much of a threat, so I didn't really understand why Adam was leaning on that pole. Granted, he looked good doing it but I'm left with the feeling that something was cut from that scene.
What made this episode a little funny is that as Ben is describing each of his sons's personalities, they are doing completely opposite of what their father thinks of them.
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post (total 3):
CalamityLittleJoe4EverChenoa
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 am

Yes. I believe he described Adam as the calm, level headed one when he turned out to behave in a most irrational manner. And Joe? He thought that Joe was the hot-headed spirited one and he is the one who handled the rough situation. Poor Hoss, always caught in the middle.
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post (total 2):
Chenoalittlejoenice
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:28 am

He was right about Little Joe. He did always seem "set to go off half-cocked" without hearing things out. (To quote Hoss in "The Friendship")
Calamity

ljlover2001
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joseph

100 Posts Episode Summary Cock & Bull So You Think You Know Bonanza
Fun with 1's Break the record Valentine's Day 2010 Valentine's Day 2011
Letters to Santa 2012 Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Stuffed in chat
Chat Badge Fun Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2013

View all badges

Post by ljlover2001 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:42 am

I am in the minority, obviously, but I am not a fan of this episode, at all
Right from the start there are glaring holes in it. Joe would never have ridden off and left his father to face an unknown, hidden foe, as he does at the beginning of this episode. If Ben was going to chase poachers, Joe would have gone with him.
Then, when they find Ben's horse, why immediately assume that their father is dead? A bit of blood on the saddle doesn't prove that and they returned to the place where Ben was last seen and searched. If he was dead, his body, or at least his remains, would have been visible, even if an animal had got at it. It wasn't that long before they started looking for him. And what poacher is going to take a dead body with them, or bury one? The obvious conclusion was that Ben was still alive.
Also, I don't see any of the boys going off on a revenge mission like this, especially not Adam. And why would Adam allow his little brother, knowing how upset Joe was, go off alone, after a man whom they assumed had killed their father in cold blood? If he had killed Ben, he wouldn't care about killing again. You can only get hung once.
I am also a bit upset that Ben seems so worried about what Joe will do. I thought he knew his boys better than that.
And finally, I am upset, as we don't see Adam find out his father his alive and witness the greeting, nor do we see Joe's reaction to learning that Ben is okay (and no hug, either)
Little Joe forever
Lynne
These users thanked the author ljlover2001 for the post (total 3):
LittleJoe4EverJanuaryCalamity

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:14 am

ljlover2001 wrote:I am in the minority, obviously, but I am not a fan of this episode, at all
Right from the start there are glaring holes in it. Joe would never have ridden off and left his father to face an unknown, hidden foe, as he does at the beginning of this episode. If Ben was going to chase poachers, Joe would have gone with him.
Then, when they find Ben's horse, why immediately assume that their father is dead? A bit of blood on the saddle doesn't prove that and they returned to the place where Ben was last seen and searched. If he was dead, his body, or at least his remains, would have been visible, even if an animal had got at it. It wasn't that long before they started looking for him. And what poacher is going to take a dead body with them, or bury one? The obvious conclusion was that Ben was still alive.
Also, I don't see any of the boys going off on a revenge mission like this, especially not Adam. And why would Adam allow his little brother, knowing how upset Joe was, go off alone, after a man whom they assumed had killed their father in cold blood? If he had killed Ben, he wouldn't care about killing again. You can only get hung once.
I am also a bit upset that Ben seems so worried about what Joe will do. I thought he knew his boys better than that.
And finally, I am upset, as we don't see Adam find out his father his alive and witness the greeting, nor do we see Joe's reaction to learning that Ben is okay (and no hug, either)
Little Joe forever
Lynne

Joe only rode off because Ben asked him to head back and see if his brothers needed help.
To a Cartwright, when there's blood on the saddle, that means something bad has happened, no matter how little.
If he were dead, the poachers could have hidden his body, so they wouldn't be found out.
Three men, three brothers. Splitting up was the easiest thing to do, in order to catch up to all of them.
Ben did know his boys, very well. But the fact that Joe had such a short fuse... that fact alone would cause any father to worry, especially back then.
As for Adam's knowledge that his father's alive, perhaps the writers wanted to leave us all guessing.
And Little Joe was just so upset, and Ben, too, that maybe, after finding out his son hadn't killed the man after all, they were just too relieved to show emotions. If that makes any sense.
January

LittleJoe4Ever
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 10
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Group Member 100 Posts PODs Behind The Scenes
Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 2 The Reading Club Pennings From Prompts
Puzzle Muddle Hidden Treasures

View all badges

Post by LittleJoe4Ever » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:24 pm

ljlover2001 wrote:I am in the minority, obviously, but I am not a fan of this episode, at all
Little Joe forever
Lynne
I definitely agree with you! Excellent points! Thank you for bringing them up. I especially like that you said this, "I am also a bit upset that Ben seems so worried about what Joe will do. I thought he knew his boys better than that." Very true! :very happy

Return to “Season 5”