Episode 145 - THE LEGACY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 145 - THE LEGACY

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:54 pm

Date: December 15, 1963

Summary: When Adam, Joe and Hoss think that their father is dead; they split up in order to find those responsible But Ben is still alive and when he hears about his boys’ plan, he hopes nothing dreadful happens.

Written by: Anthony Wilson
Directed by: Bernard McEveety
Guest Stars: Ray Teal as Sheriff Roy Coffee, Robert H. Harris as Jacob Dormann, Bob Miles as Chapin Ranch Hand, Sandy Kevin as Billy Chapin

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 361
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day
BINGO Snail Valentine's Day Modern Art Tier 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 145 - THE LEGACY

Post by January » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Did it surprise you that all 3 of them went for the kill? Joe was the type to go off half cocked, he was young and impressionable, but Hoss was not the type to rush into "revenge mode" and Adam was supposed to be the mature one that you'd expect him to control the situation not take part in it.

This is so out of character for Adam as he waits outside to kill a man?

After talking to the man's son, Hoss still had planned on killing his Pa. Doesn't sound like our Hoss, right?

Joe, just about to shoot! And the family was worried that he went through with it because that would have been a more typical response and he didn't do what was typical.

So, what are your thoughts on this episode?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:54 am

I love that this shows all three sons the way they really are. Animal lover Hoss, of course, comes back with a puppy. Many Adam fans are thrilled seeing shirtless Adam, helping a family at need. Joe finds the man who has pa's gun, and being Joe, gets into a fight and wants to kill him, until he sees it's pa's gun. Great episode!

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 135
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8
Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:33 am

It was a great episode. Lorne Greene was a fantastic actor, able to show true emotion whenever the need called for it. The worry and fear on his face as he waits at home for Joe to return home, knowing how short his temper is. Just priceless. And I also found it strange that Adam was beating up John Mitchum, who played a bartender in this episode. So basically, remembering that John Mitchum played ranch hand Lou in the episode "The Lawmaker," Adam was really laying into their ranch hand!

Wonder why he became a bartender. Maybe Ben fired him?
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

eniblick
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 11
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Stuffed In Chat Group Member 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Game Night 10 Olympic Trivia Quiz Olympics 2016
School Daze Meet & Greet Chat Pernell Roberts 2016

View all badges

Post by eniblick » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:29 am

In my opinion this is probably the number one episode of all 430. Each son has a different temperment and each is faced with the presumed loss of his father. They each look for "their man" and their first reactions are not typical of the their individual demeanor. The story shows the the love the sons had for their father and , the sons coming to terms with the situation. Ultimately, even though revenge is on each one's mind, Ben's upbringing won. :adam Adam listened and logically determenined "his man" would not have done the deed. :hoss Hoss saw the boy and the love the father had for the boy and realized that "his man" could not have done the deed. :joe Joe knowing, because of the gun, that "his man" actually did the deed, but could not kill his man with his father's gun.

:ben Ben raised his son with love and taught them right from wrong, that an eye for an eye is not the way to live. The episode demonstrated, they were able to apply Ben's life teachings and love for his sons and do the right thing and let the law handle the situation.

Ben's reaction as each son came home and relieve was excellent acting by Lorne Greene, most poignantly when Little Joe came home with the rifle. Ben was clearly quite afraid of what Joe might have done.
These users thanked the author eniblick for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

LittleJoe4Ever
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 10
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Group Member 100 Posts PODs Behind The Scenes
Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 2 The Reading Club Pennings From Prompts
Puzzle Muddle Hidden Treasures

View all badges

Post by LittleJoe4Ever » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Although I do know Joe has a temper & wears his feelings on his sleeves, he never has just killed a man before. There have even been many times that he "had to kill for self defense" & felt guilty about it. So I really don't feel his final decision, not to kill the man, was out of character for Joe.
They were all upset because of how much their Pa means to them but are definitely the fine Men he raised.

Pt29646
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 39
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Summer Writing Challenge 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018
Step Up To 2018 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 School Daze II 2017
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017 Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Christmas 2016
New Year's Resolutions 2017 Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Group Member 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by Pt29646 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:21 pm

I enjoyed this episode so much. We see a more emotional side of Adam although his reason and logic kick in and he realizes that his man didn't kill Ben.
Hoss - well, when he sees how much the boy loves his father, he realizes that the man isn't completely evil and didn't kill Ben.
Joe has always been my least favorite character, but I think you see the influence of his father and brothers come through and he chooses not to kill the man who shot Ben.

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 16
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes
Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017 Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111
100 Posts The Reading Club The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016
Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016 Oscar Chat Meet & Greet Chat

View all badges

Post by Chenoa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:11 pm

This is a great episode, because it puts the boys in the worst situation one could think of: by forcing them to believe that their Pa has been killed.

We soon find out that Ben is alive and quite well, but the first time I saw that episode I was worried sick about him, and these few minutes until knowing he was safe dragged on forever, and we should consider that the boys remain in this belief for quite some time.
In this situation even a man as calm and reasonable as Adam can only take as much before his emotions take over, so to me it does not seem out of caracter for the three to go after the men. What shows who they really are, is their actions once they got to their man, and get the chance to go through with killing them. Here, Ben's words win over their desire for revenge, and knowing that their father would not want them to kill the men, finally makes the difference.

Since we know from many situations in the past how hot-tempered Joe is, he is the one I worry most about (even knowing the end, I like to worry about him every time I watch this one :laughing ) and Lorne, as usual, does a wonderful job here; his fear that Joe might come home as a murderer is palpable. When he finally comes home, Ben holds his breath until Joe reliefs him (and us) by saying, although being close, he didn't kill the man in the end. I think he got very close to pulling the trigger, even knowing that Ben would not want him to, so holding Pa's rifle was just the extra weight he needed to remind him of Ben's lessons and withdraw from shooting the man and letting the law take over.

This is a wonderful episode that shows how difficult and important it sometimes is to hold on to your beliefs, no matter what the circumstances are.
I enjoy watching this episode every time, and never get tired of it, and this is because it is a great story and great acting by our boys. :yes
These users thanked the author Chenoa for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 125
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO Snail Valentine's Day Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:39 am

I enjoyed all of the above comments and agree with them - that the relationship with their father was the deciding factor regarding revenge. Several of the episodes have shown that both Adam and Hoss are slow to want to fight, but will go all out for family. Not to go too far off the ground, I see the episode was aired (but certainly written before) December 1963, just the second one after the Kennedy assassination. I'm sure the episodes were chosen carefully at that time, so maybe this was in part a social commentary regarding living by the words of wise fathers. Just a thought.
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

emilysean
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day Without A Trace 7
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Don't Blink Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 Time For A Commercial Break 3
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017

View all badges

Post by emilysean » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:47 pm

This is one of the episodes that really got to me. When we are waiting to see if Little Joe killed the guy I was holding my breath. You mentally figured that he wouldn't do that but the guy was such a bad guy that you aren't sure how he wouldn't.
These users thanked the author emilysean for the post (total 2):
LittleJoe4EverChenoa

Return to “Season 5”