Episode 144 - THE WAITING GAME

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 144 - THE WAITING GAME

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 pm

Date: December 8,1963

Summary: When Frank Dayton is thrown from his horse and killed, his wife Laura tells their daughter, Peggy, that he went on a long trip, preferring to let the little girl hold onto the hope that her daddy would come home again someday. But Laura's plan to shelter Peggy from her father's death is soon challenged when Adam Cartwright comes to call and the pretty widow finds herself falling in love.

Adam takes a noticeable interest in Laura and makes it a personal priority to help her and Peggy to move forward. How? By convincing Laura to tell Peggy the truth.

This is the first of a four part story arc.

Summary in part found on IMDB and wiki

Written by: Ed Adamson
Directed by: Richard C. Sarafian
Guest Stars: Kathie Browne as Laura Dayton, Katie Sweet as Peggy Dayton, Wayde Preston as Frank Dayton, Craig Duncan as Wagon Driver

Slideshow courtesy of January

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 144 - THE WAITING GAME

Post by Adamant » Wed May 17, 2017 11:14 am

I watched this yesterday and I have to say that this time I saw Frank and Laura in a more sympathetic light. When Laura is reliving her wedding night and says that Frank laughed, I used to have an image of a menacing laugh and him violently taking her and enjoying it! But this time, I kept in mind that this was Laura's POV and I felt sympathy for her. She was obviously too young and too uneducated in the ways of the world on her wedding night and it appears she had no other experience with men. No wonder Laura hated Frank, wished him dead, and appeared afraid of any true intimacy as when Adam kissed her. But initially, she kisses him back-rather aggressively, actually.

We also have to keep in mind that 18th century views toward marital rights were different than today. Back then, a husband had a right to his wife's body. And as Adam said, because the Daytons couldn't talk out their problems, Frank drank and went elsewhere for "comfort." Besides, a man who loved his child s much as Frank loved Peggy, had to have a great deal of goodness in him.

But how did Frank make money to support his wife and child? After all, he borrowed $500.00 from his "girlfriend." How did Laura manage?
Last edited by Adamant on Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 311
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Librarian Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Come to think of it, how did Laura pay the ranch hands if Frank was drinking/gambling away the ranch profits? Did Laura have an arrangement with someone to buy eggs or milk? (A milk cow was loose and eating Laura's flowers in "The Pressure Game.") Was Peggy aware of any financial struggles or did Laura successfully hide it from Peggy?
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 370

Administrator Admin Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Halloween ART 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by January » Wed May 17, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Laura/Adam eps and althought I've been arguing discussing this subject for the last several years, I'll never tire of it. I like Laura, she's OK. I LOVE seeing Adam have a girlfriend. To me, this was something that wasn't done in the series, and to have a girlfriend for more than one or two episodes is outstanding.

My favorite parts of these episodes was Adam taking care of her and things and seeing how he helped or tried to help Laura. Who doesn't want that in a man? Laura! :mad

I wonder how she did make ends meet? Did they have life insurance in those days? Did they ever discuss how Laura had money to pay the men that still worked the ranch?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

patina wrote:Come to think of it, how did Laura pay the ranch hands...
What ranch hands? :shrug They are non-existent in this episode as well as any mention of ranching or any other livelihood. In "The Cheating Game", we have the barn and the ranch hands and then the barn disappears again (as well as the ranch hands) when Will drives Laura home during the day during "The Triange." You'd think with these episodes in the same season that the set directors could have arrived at one image of Laura's house for all the episodes.
Last edited by Adamant on Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed May 17, 2017 1:17 pm

January wrote: Did they have life insurance in those days?
Yes. Laura receives the $10,000.00 ins policy brought to her by Nick Barkley. :laughing

I think that people focus too much on Adam and Peggy's budding relationship than Laura and Adam's. Granted, it is more interesting,

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed May 17, 2017 1:26 pm

patina wrote:(A milk cow was loose and eating Laura's flowers in "The Pressure Game.")
I just realized, wasn't that a Cartwright cow and Laura shoos it away with a broom?

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator Librarian Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Adamant wrote:
patina wrote:(A milk cow was loose and eating Laura's flowers in "The Pressure Game.")
I just realized, wasn't that a Cartwright cow and Laura shoos it away with a broom?
I don't remember. These episodes aren't among my favorites so I don't watch them as often as other eps.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by patina » Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Adamant wrote:
patina wrote:Come to think of it, how did Laura pay the ranch hands...
What ranch hands? :shrug They are non-existent in this episode as well as any mention of ranching or any other livelihood. In "The Cheating Game", we have the barn and the ranch hands and then the barn disappears again (as well as the ranch hands) when Will drives Laura home during the day during "The Triange." You'd think with these episodes in the same season that the set directors could have arrived at one image of Laura's house for all the episodes.
The Dayton set changes like the number of bedrooms on the Ponderosa! :lol

Hands are rarely seen on other ranches in the series let alone on the Ponderosa (unless someone is randomly killed, like Bob Miles' ranch hand in "Vengeance").
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Yes, the Cartwright cow! :ha

I've made two videos this year featuring the Laura episodes, one sentimental and one satirical. The level of complexity in her relationship with Adam never fails to amaze me. He seems to be drawn to women who are damaged or traumatized in some way, always wanting to help and heal, and Laura is a prime example. Yet as much as she needs that kind of steady, faithful, practical love, what she really WANTS is to be wooed and romanced. Hence the Will.

The funny thing is that Adam can be superbly romantic when he chooses, but he never is with Laura. He either acts like a respectful friend or treats her like they're a comfortably married couple well past the honeymoon stage. Perhaps it's because as much as he loves her in a protective, caring way, he doesn't truly admire her. Or perhaps, given her history, he wants to be extra gentle and cautious, proving himself to be dependable husband material before attempting to be a romantic lover. Her strange behavior at that first party, throwing herself at him and then panicking, must have alerted him to the fact that there was something wrong. But Will, who presumably didn't know about her past, had no such qualms.

Another thing I've sometimes wondered about these episodes is whether Adam saw himself playing a similar role in Peggy's life to the role Inger played in his. When he tells Laura, "Children do adjust to the problems of life and death...I know. I had to when I was a child," you're suddenly reminded that he was once the only child of a bereaved single parent, and that Ben, for all his wisdom, seems to have had a very difficult time coping with Elizabeth's death. That can have enormous impact on a child, especially an observant and deep-thinking one like Adam. I remember thinking incredibly deep and mature things as a four-year-old in reaction to the death of an adult who was very close to me, and I know it has shaped the person I am today. I imagine Adam feels he's become something of a guardian angel to this little girl and wants to give her the stability of a family unit again.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 5”