Episode 143 - THE QUALITY OF MERCY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
bonanza1
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 110
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Convention 2019 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Valentine's Day 2019 Out Of The Blue Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019 Christmas 2018 Dan's Birthday 2018
Thanksgiving questions 2018 Thanksgiving 2018 Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Halloween 2018

View all badges

Re: Episode 143 - THE QUALITY OF MERCY

Post by bonanza1 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:30 am

I thought this episode had some great moments between Pa and Joe. Richard Rust and Mike were teamed up again too. I thought they were good together in Tom Dooley.

ljlover2001
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joseph

100 Posts Episode Summary Cock & Bull So You Think You Know Bonanza
Fun with 1's Break the record Valentine's Day 2010 Valentine's Day 2011
Letters to Santa 2012 Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Stuffed in chat
Chat Badge Fun Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2013

View all badges

Post by ljlover2001 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:04 am

I, too, feel it was the easier option making the 'mercy killing' a murder, instead.
And I also agree that Ben was rather hard on Joe, when it was obvious how upset and confused Joe was abut the whole matter.
Knowing how Seth ends up as a murderer, has affected how I write about him in my young Cartwright stories. I have him as Joe's friend, but always the one who is most inclined to lead them into trouble.
Love the scene with Joe and Adam, on the range, when Joe finally tells his big brother what really happened.
And the singing scene is such fun
Little Joe forever
Lynne

emilysean
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day Without A Trace 7
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Don't Blink Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 Time For A Commercial Break 3
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017

View all badges

Post by emilysean » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:58 pm

They definitely didn't want any one having second thoughts about if he was justified in putting him out of his misery.

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 16
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes
Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017 Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111
100 Posts The Reading Club The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016
Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016 Oscar Chat Meet & Greet Chat

View all badges

Post by Chenoa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:41 pm

elizabeth wrote:great comments. I agree that the writers/producers took the easy way out by making it murder rather than a mercy killing. the big 3 networks were the kings back in the 60s. what they wanted was the law, basically. and euthanasia (sp) would have been way to hot a topic in their opinions. who knows. maybe the writers were made to change the ending. I too think Ben was unusually hard on Joe about this one - he often tries to listen and advise if needed. however, because he was hard on him, it heightened the tension. I also thought Joe was talking about himself at first. I think possibly it was implied that Joe was realizing for the first time that he could be faced with that decision in regards to his family members, and what would they want him to do.
I did not see this possibility before, but I think you are right, Elisabeth, in saying that Joe might be realizing how he could get in the same situation with his own family only too easily.
About Ben being rather firm in this matter; I am sure he knows how serious this subject is, and according to what he tells Joe, he has been in similar situations himself, so he´s probably thought about it a lot before and made a decision as to how to handle such a situation.
He´s aware how hard this can be, but giving up is not like him, so he wants to fight and give life and survival every chance, and since Joe is so insecure he tries to convey to him that it is tough, probably even harder that letting go, but that he must be strong and try to preserve life.
Not a light episode, but just because of that (and a great JPM) one of my favourites.
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 127
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:34 pm

I agree with everything you wrote, Chenoa. I know so little about that time period. This might have been set post-Civil War. Certainly, the issue of mercy killings during and post-war would have been a familiar one. However, the writers were speaking to 1950-60's USA, when people were living longer and longer, and quality of life was coming into awareness. I think Ben's insistence on life over death is very important.
These users thanked the author elizabeth for the post:
Chenoa
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

torie
Drover
Drover
Badges: 111
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Lorne Greene Birthday 2019
Step Up 2019 Mike's Birthday 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Talk Like A Pirate 2018
Game Night 11 Aug 2018 Level 1 Cinco de mayo 2018 BINGO Spare Games Edition Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Olympics Silver 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday 10th Anniversary Letter T Step Up To 2018

View all badges

Post by torie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:52 pm

I saw this episode one time and I thought it sounded like it was talking about mercy killing. Personally I only think mercy killing should be for cats or dogs only, not people. If we start doing that to people that's murder. I remember thinking that when I watched "Shindler's List" last year and the Jewish doctors poisoned the patients who couldn't walk. They thought the Nazi's would kill them anyway, but I remember thinking that God could have delivered them and they shouldn't have had to do that. But yeah, Michael Landon did a lot of controversy in his shows. "Little House" dealt with alcoholism, child abuse, and rape.

ansinico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 372
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe/Adam

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 12 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by ansinico » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:43 pm

It is with interest I read the comments. Alike with you all I found the topic of this episode controversial. Ben and Adam's assertiveness of Joe's failure to decide between 'right and wrong' is of course, strong. I always thought that Hoss could've and should've played a bigger part in this episode. I feel Hoss, as not only Joe's brother but his best friend and confidant and Hoss' down-to-earth, homespun common sense would've had more of an impact on his little brother. I am at the moment in the process of writing a WHN or WHI regarding this episode and the input in this thread is, to say the least, more than helpful.
These users thanked the author ansinico for the post:
Sharry
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
:grimesgirl "You'd have died of a real bad case of slow."
"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows." Michael Landon

Threem
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 155
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Fun With Captions Level 3 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Amazon Buyer 11th Anniversary Dan's Birthday 2018
Mike's Birthday 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 September Song 2018 David's Birthday 2018
Lorne Greene Birthday 10th Anniversary Letter M Christmas 2017 Dan Blocker Birthday

View all badges

Post by Threem » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Just saw Nancy Rennick on an old b/w ep of 'Gunsmoke'. I knew I'd seen that face somewhere before!
Love him forever....

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 303
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3
Reader's Choice Level 1 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:32 pm

One thing that bothers me about this episode is that Seth who Joe has known all his life, would suddenly become capable of murdering out of avarice; that stretches all credibility in my book. No one turns into a cold-blooded murderer over one incident. But that had to be the way out of a convoluted episode--we had to hate Seth.

As for Joe's dilemma, he should have gone to the sheriff whether Seth would go with him or not, but that would have precluded the plot. Mercy killing is a serious issue and I'm going to assume that the main issue of the plot was mercy killing. Of course, I think it's wrong in general but I have found that there are many things that I said I would never do in my life that I ended up doing because you never know what you'll do until it comes up. A light example is that B/C, I would see annoying, whining, crying, temper-tantrum throwing children in the grocery store and elsewhere and I would either think or say to the person with me, "My children would NEVER behave that way." And yeah, they did. My daughter had a complete meltdown in the middle of Publix because I wouldn't buy a cereal that had a miniature My Little Pony inside. Then she puked.

A movie I saw, Dead Presidents, was partly about Viet Nam and one soldier was burned completely and screaming in agony--no chopper to take him out. He begged for another soldier to shoot him because he was in such excruciating pain. And his friend did. In the context, I felt it was merciful. Circumstances are everything, IMO. But perhaps too controversial for the 60's but that was the era of Viet Nam.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Adamant wrote: But perhaps too controversial for the 60's but that was the era of Viet Nam.
It is still controversial and still a violation of the Geneva Convention. I suspect that is why Ben had to take so firm a stand. This was a topic for a senior psychology class on death and dying but I don't remember all of the facts. Perhaps it was all best summed up by a WWII soldier who said that someone who wasn't there had no right to judge. Pretty heavy stuff.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Return to “Season 5”