Episode 143 - THE QUALITY OF MERCY

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 143 - THE QUALITY OF MERCY

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Date: November 17, 1963

Summary: After a mine-cave in Little Joe’s friend Seth kills his fiancée’s father in order to put him out of his misery. Seth asks Joe to keep it a secret, but Joe wonders if it was mercy killing after all.

Written by: Peter Packer
Directed by: Joseph H. Lewis
Guest Stars: Richard Rust as Seth Pruitt, Nancy Rennick as Sara Pruitt

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 364
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Springtime 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Snail Valentine's Day

View all badges

Re: Episode 143 - THE QUALITY OF MERCY

Post by January » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Mercy killing! Is that what this episode was about?

Most people seem to think it is, but I tend to disagree. I do beleive that in the beginning Joe was concerned whether mercy killing was moral or not. But then when he started catching on to the fact that it might have been murder, his whole thought process changed.

There was no question that murder was morally wrong so that's why he finally did something about it. Did we ever find out what Joe concluded regarding mercy killing? That wasn't addressed once the episode turned to Joe finding out that it was murder.

What's your thoughts?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:13 am

Really good emotional episode. Michael did very well with the emotional scenes. Obviously, Seth murdered Sara's father because of his own greed. Joe knew what he did was wrong but had trouble turning him in because he was a friend. Talks with pa and Adam helped. I love the scene of all of the guys singing together. I wish there were more episodes of them all singing.

lovemychico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 343
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Amazon Buyer Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Snail Valentine's Day Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by lovemychico » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:06 am

Great episode. I'm not for mercy killing, make the person comfortable as possible and go from there. It was NOT up to Seth to make the decision to take his life (had it been a mercy killing) but all Seth was worried about was the money. I loved the JAM and JPM's in this episode. Adam was a good "big" brother and wanted to do all he could to help Joe. Their talk by the tree gets me every time.
Joe's Southern Gal. I am his favorite!!
"But Pa, I Love Her" :hearts
:bejules Proud member of BHA
Proud Owner of Joe's pants, Lafe's Auction June 2016

eniblick
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 11

Stuffed In Chat Group Member 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Game Night 10 Olympic Trivia Quiz Olympics 2016
School Daze Meet & Greet Chat Pernell Roberts 2016

View all badges

Post by eniblick » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:05 am

A very good episode, I agree. It demonstrated Joe was emotionally maturing. He knew the killing was wrong. He also liked his friend and had a hard time accepting that he would murder. His conflict within himself and the lashing out at his family was very well done.

I too loved the JAM, one of the very few we saw in the series, but very good. I'm going to watch it again!!

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:17 am

I think the writers/producers/whoever chickened out by giving Seth a clear motive for the murder - that is, the money aspect. It would have been much more powerful if they had stuck with Seth's original story. But maybe that was too controversial a topic for early 1960s TV.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
MegD
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Pt29646
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 39
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Summer Writing Challenge 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018
Step Up To 2018 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 School Daze II 2017
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017 Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017 Christmas 2016
New Year's Resolutions 2017 Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Group Member 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by Pt29646 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:33 pm

I like this episode, but I can see why the writers backed away from the idea of mercy killing at the time. I liked the interaction between Adam and Joe. Okay, I like any scene that includes Adam. And Hoss.

ljac63
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 23
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Group Member 100 Posts FanFic Writer Badge Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 1
Ponderosa Nightmares 2013 Fan Fic Fun Halloween Tales 2016 Summer Reading Challenge 2013
Don't Blink Hidden Treasures St. Patrick's Hidden Treasures Hidden Treasures xmas 2014
Hidden Treasures July 2013 Hidden Treasures Don't Blink Christmas 2013 September Song 2013

View all badges

Post by ljac63 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:31 pm

I completely agree that the writers took the easy way out by providing Seth a motive for murder. Before we discover Seth's true motives, the conflict of "mercy killing" creates a tremendously dynamic storyline. I love the scene in the bedroom between Ben and Joe, although I don't agree with Ben that the answer is so clear. I feel that Ben is a bit presumptive that his opinion is the correct one, and I feel that he is a bit hard on Joe. Another aspect of this episode that I often wonder about is a "what if" situation. When I first saw this episode, I thought that the implication was that Joe was the one who had carried out the killing. I don't know how the writers could have handled that scenario, but even now, knowing the plot, I still feel a bit of a let down that it wasn't Joe who was directly conflicted. When Joe tells Ben that his friend takes these actions, it seem to be the stereotypical misdirection where the speaker attempts to explain something without implicating him/herself. Just my opinion!

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 126
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Springtime 2019
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO Snail Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:27 pm

great comments. I agree that the writers/producers took the easy way out by making it murder rather than a mercy killing. the big 3 networks were the kings back in the 60s. what they wanted was the law, basically. and euthanasia (sp) would have been way to hot a topic in their opinions. who knows. maybe the writers were made to change the ending. I too think Ben was unusually hard on Joe about this one - he often tries to listen and advise if needed. however, because he was hard on him, it heightened the tension. I also thought Joe was talking about himself at first. I think possibly it was implied that Joe was realizing for the first time that he could be faced with that decision in regards to his family members, and what would they want him to do.
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

eniblick
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 11

Stuffed In Chat Group Member 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Game Night 10 Olympic Trivia Quiz Olympics 2016
School Daze Meet & Greet Chat Pernell Roberts 2016

View all badges

Post by eniblick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:12 am

DEfintely a very controversal episode for the 1960's and would still be a controversal episode today. As Elizabeth stated Ben was very harsh on Joe. I thought Adam showed Joe more compassion than Ben.

Defitintely a tough episode in any era.

Return to “Season 5”