Episode 136 - A PASSION FOR JUSTICE

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 136 - A PASSION FOR JUSTICE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 pm

Date: September 29, 1963

Summary: The famous novelist Charles Dickens visits Virginia City and provokes trouble for himself and the town.

Written by: Peter Packer
Directed by: Murray Golden
Guest Stars: Victor Sen Yung as Hop Sing, Ray Teal as Sheriff Roy Coffee, Clegg Hoyt as Townsman, Victor Maddern as Dan Stoker, Jonathan Harris as Charles Dickens, Frank Albertson as Sam Walker, Charles Irving as Roger

Slideshow courtesy of January

emilysean
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day Without A Trace 7
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Don't Blink Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 Time For A Commercial Break 3
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017

View all badges

Re: Episode 136 - A PASSION FOR JUSTICE

Post by emilysean » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Truly random thought but during the episode Dickens keeps saying he is not sure what to do with the character Nell. Anyone ever wonder if that had a hidden meaning? What did the writers want to do with (Per)nell? That would have been the time they were talking exit strategy for him.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 am

The episode is ok but not a favorite. What I do like reading about Jonathon Harris's view on "those naughty Cartwright boys" While Jonathon was telling the story, every time the cameras were on them, Hoss and Joe were sitting nicely, listening, but as soon as the camera wasn't on they were making faces at Jonathon, trying to get him to laugh and mess up his story! Those naughty boys!

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

emilysean wrote:Truly random thought but during the episode Dickens keeps saying he is not sure what to do with the character Nell. Anyone ever wonder if that had a hidden meaning? What did the writers want to do with (Per)nell? That would have been the time they were talking exit strategy for him.
I don't think so since the writer is Peter Packer. He wrote several good episodes but Irwin Allen got him to write many episodes of Lost in Space including the infamous Vegetable Rebellion. Jonathan Harris tells the story that Packer told him he couldn't think of another idea for LIS. Speaking of Pernell, he steals the scenes he is in. Probably why Harris doesn't sing his praises. :yes

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Honestly, I don't understand why Dickens wouldn't give his alibi. There was enough circumstantial evidence for a jury to convict him, and it's just foolish not to present an alibi. Did he think being famous would protect him?
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

windward
Drover
Drover
Badges: 15

Pernell Birthday 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Escape To Ponderosa Dan Blocker Birthday
Michael Landon Birthday Without A Trace 6 1,000 Posts Stuffed In Chat
The Reading Club 100 Posts Paint Me A Picture Who's Who in the Old West
Olympics 2016 SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2016 Meet & Greet Chat

View all badges

Post by windward » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 am

Julianna wrote:
emilysean wrote:Truly random thought but during the episode Dickens keeps saying he is not sure what to do with the character Nell. Anyone ever wonder if that had a hidden meaning? What did the writers want to do with (Per)nell? That would have been the time they were talking exit strategy for him.
I don't think so since the writer is Peter Packer. He wrote several good episodes but Irwin Allen got him to write many episodes of Lost in Space including the infamous Vegetable Rebellion. Jonathan Harris tells the story that Packer told him he couldn't think of another idea for LIS. Speaking of Pernell, he steals the scenes he is in. Probably why Harris doesn't sing his praises. :yes
I think this is just an allusion to the story that the character Nell was so popular with American readers that allegedly Dickens fans in New York rushed to the piers when a ship from Britain arrived that had the most recent instalment on board. They couldn't even wait until the ship had landed but shouted to the sailors whether they knew what had become of Nell. :laughing

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 pm

One of my favorite episodes. I enjoyed Jonathan Harris as Charles Dickens. He was so correct in being angry about people appropriating his work. I liked his explanation to Hoss.

But one of those little trivia things in this episode bothers me. Joe was reading the article which criticized "Mr. Dickens" during breakfast. That event only happened the evening before. So the Ponderosa has "newspaper delivery" at dawn? :grin Hard to believe that the paperboy rides twenty miles out to the Ponderosa to deliver the paper at six. A.M.!!
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
Sharry

Return to “Season 5”