Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Escape To Ponderosa New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 141 - CALAMITY OVER THE COMSTOCK

Post by SJRCartwright » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Historically speaking, while Calamity Jane and Doc Holiday may have heard about each other, they probably never met. I think CJ spent most of her time in the northern part of the West and DH, I think, was primarily located in the Southwest to combat his "congestion." Still, this is a fun episode to speculate on. Little Joe with his love of the ladies may have found CJ's independence to be daunting but a challenge. I think she thought of him fondly and kindly, but her heart belonged to a man more like her - not DH, however - she was said to be "acquainted" with Bill Hickok. Both are buried in Mount Mariah Cemetary in Deadwood, SD (went to Deadwood once when I went on the Sturgis Run and saw the infamous saloon where BH was shot). The role of women in the Wild West was as varied as their circumstances - they often took over running ranches and farms if they lost their men. Independence was nothing new back then, it just wasn't recognized. Wyoming was the first state to recognize women's rights, followed secondly by Colorado. Nevada was one of the last states to give women the vote.

debbiejo
Drover
Drover
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 100 Posts September Song 2013
Summer 2013 Summer 2014 Easter 2013 Michael Landon

View all badges

Post by debbiejo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:24 pm

This is one of my favorite episodes, especially being a Joegal. Love the scene where Hoss brings a towel to Cal and then makes a startling discovery. :laughing

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:18 pm

I love when Joe carries Cal upstairs while she is singing off-key. Everyone thinks Cal is a boy until Hoss's discovery. This is a great episode right down to the end when Hoss tells Joe goodnight!

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56

Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:03 pm

littlejoenice wrote:the historical facts are mixed up. Calamity Jane and Doc Holliday were in two different eras!
Not only that but she was born in 1852. She would have been much younger than what she was portrayed as in this episode! :whistling :wink

Krys
Drover
Drover
Badges: 7

Words Words Words A Winter's Tale 100 Posts 1,000 Posts
FanFic Writer Badge Pennings From Prompts Fun With Captions

View all badges

Post by Krys » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:32 am

And she was no lady ... she was as rough as they came, nothing like this portrayal of her, nor Doris Days trilling rendition...she could cuss, spit and was filthy ! she drove a mule train, and a stage ... Joe would not have liked her one bit! I always liked the bit in the intro when Joe says he had to look after her as she was a girl and she replies "How'd you know that? " and he just looks her up and down and said "I guessed" (words to that effect, sorry, can't give verbatim). A great fun ep and I do like the way Adam and Hoss dealt with their little brother at the end, the perfect knock out!
These users thanked the author Krys for the post (total 2):
Juliannadaisy60

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 153
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:38 pm

Another interesting thing I found when I watched this episode last night was that the actress who played Calamity Jane (Stephanie Powers) also played John Wayne's daughter in the movie, McClintock!
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

AgnethaF
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 307

December Delectables Christmas Card Team Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by AgnethaF » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:39 pm

One of my favorite episodes. Especially the part when Hoss realizes Cal is a Gal...
:bejules Proud member of BHA
"I'm never satisfied with my own work." Pernell Roberts.
"I'm with you every step of the way, Pa.. Right down the aisle." Adam The Burma Rarity :adam

TNTrue
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by TNTrue » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm

January wrote: I've always been a big fan of Stephanie Powers and she did an awesome job in this episode.
I won't go so far as to say Stephanie Powers could do no wrong as an actress. But I will say, if it ever happened, I haven't seen it.

And I agree with whoever it was who said she goes over the top -- I just think it was the right tone for this episode!
showdown wrote:Do tough men have to drink punch?! :cheers Isn´t that a ladies´drink?
I know that, in England, in the late 1700s, punch was more of a man's drink and that many men prided themselves on making it. It was highly alcoholic, often heated, and also sweetened with fruit added. I've seen recipes in cookbooks that would have been around in the 1860s for "Milk Punch," which, despite its name, was mostly alcoholic. I'm not dead sure, but I believe that, at the time of the Civil War, "punch" was still a manly drink, at least when it came to parties. Women would drink lemonade or whatever. Punch may have been scorned as an upper class drink, though -- a "real men drink straight whiskey" sort of mentality.

I suspect "punch" came to be considered a non-alcoholic drink during Prohibition, although I don't really know. This page has a recipe for "Grand Army Punch" that may or may not be authentic, but looks like a lot of recipes from the era I've seen.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/a-memoria ... ref=scroll
littlejoenice wrote: the part where Joe got knocked out. I'd say he deserved it! :yes
By far my favorite scene in this -- partly for Landon's acting, but also for the coordination between the two older brothers. :Krycha But it's also the sort of scene that drove my mom crazy. She's a registered nurse, and those sorts of scenes would always get her going on how dangerous that sort of behavior would be in real life. Although Bonanza didn't make her as crazy as my father's favorite -- Mannix. Whenever dad would grumble about Mannix doing something stupid, mom would say, "Well, you know the poor man must have brain damage by now...."

Although so would most of the Cartwrights, after a few seasons, she just didn't watch that faithfully enough to know....
SJRCartwright wrote:Wyoming was the first state to recognize women's rights, followed secondly by Colorado. Nevada was one of the last states to give women the vote.
Liquor companies were particularly opposed to giving women the right to vote (Carrie Nation did feminists no favors), while Mormons, interestingly enough (since they officially allowed polygamy until I think the 1890s) were more likely to be in favor of it. I haven't sat down and done the math, but that seems to be how it worked in the west -- more miners, fewer Mormons, the later women got the vote. In terms of their percentage of the population, miners dominated Nevada more than any other state, and miners tend to be drinkers.
These users thanked the author TNTrue for the post:
littlejoenice

KEH
Badges: 3
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: ben

Escape To Ponderosa Bonanza's 60th Anniversary New Member Post

View all badges

Post by KEH » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:41 pm

:howdy2 This episode is full of fun, energy and talent. Our boys seem fired up by Cal's fire and spirit. It is a real favourite of mine. I agree with the posts that Stephanie Powers star quality shines through and she does make it a show that is riveting from beginning to end. She became a star... Bonanza helped her along the way and she sprinkled some star dust on this eternally amazing show. :ranch2

KEH
Badges: 3
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: ben

Escape To Ponderosa Bonanza's 60th Anniversary New Member Post

View all badges

Post by KEH » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:05 pm

This is the only episode in my opinion when Joe met his match! He seems so beautifully innocent and yet you believe that deep inside herself Cal had a soft spot for him! When he was so mercifully punched i was so happy he was safe and yet felt sad that his boyish charms and forced courage were dismissed so cruelly. Cal would have made Joe happy forever. They were so well suited. Impetuous, spoiled and utterly irresistible.

Return to “Season 5”