Episode 153 - THE CHEATING GAME

Bonanza Season 5 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 153 - THE CHEATING GAME

Post by Episode Guide » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:36 am

Date: February 9, 1964

Summary: ‘The Cheating Game’ is the sequel to ‘The Waiting Game’. (Part 2 of 4) Laura and Adam argue with each other about how to run a ranch. Laura doesn’t listen to Adam’s advice and falls prey to Ward Bannister, who wants to con her.

Written by: William L. Stuart
Directed by: Joseph Sargent
Guest Stars: Kathy Browne as Laura Dayton, Katie Sweet as Peggy Dayton, Lincoln Demyan as Lane, Peter Breck as Ward Bannister

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover
Badges: 17
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020
WAT 9 10th Anniversary Letter W Step up to 2020 Don't Blink
PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer 100 Posts

View all badges

Re: Episode 153 - THE CHEATING GAME

Post by Janet the Wicked » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:41 am

I'm surprised there have been no comments on this episode. This one played on TV Land this morning. Laura is upset that Adam seems to be only concerned with her ranch when she wants him to be more romantic. One smooch and then it's on to play a game of cribbage. Adam took care of her best interests in this one, yet she was angry with him for taking charge.
Had I been in Laura's place, I would have been grateful. I would have brought him into the house and seen to his wounds after he got into the fight with the ranch foreman guy there. Offered him coffee or something. Then I would have asked him to dinner one night, inviting his brothers and father to come. And Adam would have said in that deep, rich voice, "Why, thank you." But that's just me.
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

Touch nothing!

rogell
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Group Member

View all badges

Post by rogell » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:34 pm

I'm so happy Pernell decided not to end his Bonanza career with these Laura episodes. On "The waiting Game" she was so helpless she couldn't tell her daughter her father died. She kept begging Adam to do it. Now on "The Cheating Game" she is running the ranch and needs no help whatsoever. Allowing her daughter to have a wolf pup and then getting mad when Adam tries to give her sound advice. Goodness gracious. Thank goodness Adam didn't marry Laura. She drives me crazy, I know she would have done the same with Adam. It was nice seeing Peter Breck (Nick Barkley) outside of the Big Valley

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover

July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020
1,000 Posts Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:55 am

Peter Breck played Nick Barkley? That's where I'd seen him before. I couldn't place him, but I knew him from somewhere. Cool.

Touch nothing!

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 388

Administrator Admin July 4 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020
Collectors' Corner 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020
BINGO Winter 2020 Participant Valentine's Day 2020 Lorne Greene Birthday 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Pattern This! WAT 9 12th Anniversary BB

View all badges

Post by January » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:32 am

Janet the Wicked wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:41 am
I'm surprised there have been no comments on this episode.
I've tried over the many years to discuss all the great details of this 4-part Laura/Adam episode.

The Waiting Game
The Cheating Game
The Pressure Game
Triangle

These episodes had so much to talk about but each time all I hear is I hate Laura.

For me, this ruined the discussions because there never seemed to be enough 'other' content to talk about because it kept coming back to that. All 4 episodes showed how ____ _____ ______ _____ but my thoughts will stay in my head. :laughing

So many fantastic aspects for all Adam lovers in all 4 episodes. :thumbup
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

dougsgirl
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 295

July 4 2020 BINGO Spare Summer 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020 St Patrick's Day Limerick 2020
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse! BINGO Spare Winter 2020 BINGO Winter 2020 Participant
Valentine's Day 2020 BINGO L Winter 2020 Oscar Chat 2020 50,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by dougsgirl » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:09 am

I just watched this last night. I didn't hate Laura, I just didn't see her as a good match for Adam. In every ep she always says to Adam, you just don't understand, Adam, you don't understand. Well then tell he what he doesn't understand.
I love the interaction of Peggy and Adam, especially when he calls her "his special girl", how sweet.
I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, I will come back and try to add more.

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:41 am

@January I expect the we hate Laura theme comes from the fact that she is not a good match for Adam. Obviously.
Laura aside, it's plain that Adam would make a good father and should be blessed with a household of kids.
This is another case where Adam comes to the rescue and why I would want to have him as a close friend. He's always got your back.
These users thanked the author Janet the Wicked for the post:
Julianna

Touch nothing!

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 30

July 4 2020 BINGO Participant Summer 2020 Gardening 2020 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2020
Collectors' Corner 2020 Prop Fiction Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Valentine's Day 2020
Oscar Chat 2020 Stuffed in Chat 2020 Meet & Greet Chat 2020 10th Anniversary Letter D
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:53 am

Just my .02, but for me, at least it was Adam’s motives for a relationship that kind’ve perplexed me. He fires the ranch hands and points out what needs fixing in the house, and it’s not even his property. But at this point, other than Adam taking Laura to a dance, I don’t see an already established relationship where he should have that authority even if it was helpful. At one point Laura says something to the effect “I don’t know why you bother!” And I wonder, too. Why does he feel responsible for Laura’s situation? I know it’s the Cartwright way and all, to be neighborly, but that was the time Adam really had to think of his motives and his involvement. It was an escape clause. Instead he decides he needs to be more romantic like an old boyfriend who messed up, and starts acting like they’re already a family by going to church together and trying to coparent Peggy with the wolf, and discuss finances. I like Adam, but it was like he was trying to convince himself to make a relationship happen because he wanted a family and as if he felt this was his best chance. I don’t blame Laura for that, but I blame Adam for convincing himself to settle when he wasn’t really in love. Yes, Adam would be a great father, but in this situation, it felt like he wanted a relationship to work that wasn’t going to, because they had different ideas of parenting and finances. I hope this is fair.
Last edited by Drifter on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:12 pm

@Drifter
I think your opinion is most fair and valid. When Adam heard the gossip in town that some were expecting wedding bells, it's almost like he felt a sense of, I dunno, duty or to do what was expected of him. Thank goodness Ben came to the rescue and talked him out of it. I imagine it must have been a headache for the writers when Pern decided to do another year and they had to get rid of Guy Williams. But good riddance to Laura. She and Will made the perfect clueless couple. I envision divorce not far on the horizon for them as Will was a man that couldn't stay put in one place.
I think it's hard to find the right girl for Adam. He's such a complicated man. I would expect him to go for a pretty girl, well educated, a decent cook, and a good mother. But then sometimes those things don't really matter when you fall in love. Clearly, there was no love between Adam and Laura. My opinion.
These users thanked the author Janet the Wicked for the post (total 2):
DrifterSharry

Touch nothing!

Sharry
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 72

July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 Crafting 2020 Rethink, Recycle, Reuse!
Meet & Greet Chat 2020 Pattern This! Reader's Choice Level 5 10th Anniversary Letter S
Step up to 2020 December Delectables Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 pm

I was too young to appreciate the complexity of the episode when it first aired. I mean - he was Adam. What exactly was her problem, and what's to not like about Adam? I didn't understand it at the time. Conversely, I didn't see what Adam was attracted to in Lara either.

Later in life, and having experienced a love relationship or two myself, I grew to understand that love doesn't necessarily have to make a lot of sense. I have to allow Adam that much. I think he often tried to follow his heart, but his brain got in the way. Still, he was such a good and decent man that I always wanted to see him happy.
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
Julianna

Return to “Season 5”