ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Re: Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Post by ellen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 pm

It's a long thread - probably with the most comments of any other episode, and extending over 3 years. I think this is a great discussion, with many great observations!
These users thanked the author ellen for the post (total 3):
patinaSierrasTahoe Lee
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 50

Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio
Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 4

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:34 pm

I hope we can keep this very interesting conversation going too. I have learned so much in the short time I've been here by reading other thoughts and opinions. It's made the characters richer to me.

If you get a chance to listen to the commentary by writer, Tony Lawrence, of Elizabeth My Love. It's really good.

He also wrote the episodes about Inger....Marie and Journey Remembered. (so we have some continuity with this writer)

He talks about the reason they wanted episodes about the 3 mothers was to deepen the characters of Bonanza. It was an opportunity to examine how it all happened. It came from the fan mail that poured in, at the time, wanting to know more about the sons and why they looked and acted so differently. The first one was Elizabeth My Love. A flashback into Ben's memory of how Adam was born. The fans wrote in after this episode aired and were happy to understand more about Adam and his mother. That's why the producer asked him to write the other 3 episodes.

I'm anxious to hear all opinions whether you view each episode as a single event or whether you view Bonanza as kind of like a book with many chapters.

It's no accident in "Brother's Keeper" that Shelia was from the East. Why? It's because we know from past episodes that Adam has a history there and that fact was going to enter this episode and trigger some emotions in him.

It's obvious to me when you watch the episodes today.... they were wanting deep characters with a history. And they wanted the audience to go along for the ride with them... :thumbup
These users thanked the author Tahoe Lee for the post (total 2):
SierrasSharry
"You're a good man, Adam. You're very kind, thoughtful, considerate.
Gonna tell my people, Paiutes, you're our friend." *Toy soldier*

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:19 pm

This episode is one of my many favorites, and there are certain parts I tend to watch more than others. I don't think I have to tell you what those parts are. You all probably watch the same. However, there was something I caught last night that I'm not sure if anybody else has caught. The scene where the Reardons pull up in front of the Ponderosa yard, and Hoss is helping Joe down, he says, "Come on, Mike." But then-- this is the part I really wanted to get to-- when Adam asks, "Where's Pa?" If you listen real close, you can hear somebody-- I think it's Mike-- saying, "He'll be here."

I had to roll that one piece back three or four times just to make sure I wasn't hearing things! :laughing
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
Tahoe Lee
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:07 pm

littlejoenice wrote:This episode is one of my many favorites, and there are certain parts I tend to watch more than others. I don't think I have to tell you what those parts are. You all probably watch the same. However, there was something I caught last night that I'm not sure if anybody else has caught. The scene where the Reardons pull up in front of the Ponderosa yard, and Hoss is helping Joe down, he says, "Come on, Mike." But then-- this is the part I really wanted to get to-- when Adam asks, "Where's Pa?" If you listen real close, you can hear somebody-- I think it's Mike-- saying, "He'll be here."

I had to roll that one piece back three or four times just to make sure I wasn't hearing things! :laughing
So now I have to check this out! :lol
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
littlejoenice

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 50

Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio
Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 4

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:04 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Wow!! Will have to check it out too!! :cheer

On Hoss calling Joe...Mike...obviously it was a slip but was it really?

I think Mike was acting so real and so good it seemed like it was 'Mike' that was really hurt and not the character..Joe. :thumbup
These users thanked the author Tahoe Lee for the post:
littlejoenice
"You're a good man, Adam. You're very kind, thoughtful, considerate.
Gonna tell my people, Paiutes, you're our friend." *Toy soldier*

Return to “Season 4”