Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 5
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4

View all badges

Re: Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Post by Tahoe Lee » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:14 pm

[quote="RedShirt"]Let me turn that photo on its head. What d'y'all reckon Cochise is saying to Adam, there?
/quote]

"Thanks for getting that bullet out so nice. We both love that boy don't we?" Cochise :cochise
"You're a good man, Adam." *Toy Soldier*

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am

Tahoe Lee wrote:Mr Reardon quoted Thoreau "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."
"Think about it Adam...you'll find you're not alone."

I'm thinking he said...don't worry Adam....most men lead desperate lives like you do, so you shouldn't feel alone.

Cold and flat and insulting .....no wonder Adam didn't look at him..and when Mr. Reardon began to speak...Adam turned his head farther away from him.
I think he behaved in this way because it isn't what he wanted to hear or needed. He wanted to hear that everything was going to be all right. I do think Mr. R understood how and why Adam was acting the way he was. In another discussion on Boomers FB months ago someone was saying they thought the writer used the wrong quote from Thoreau in this episode. i can't remember what the quote was now. It was argued that it would have been more helpful. I have to agree that being told I was like everyone else in the desperate situation might not be comforting. But later he does tell Mr. Reardon how heroic he acted to help get control of the situation with Dowd. So I don't feel he resented Reardon's comments.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 306
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

I have resisted participating in this discussion because I think that some are looking for meaning where there really isn't one and I see no association with The Crucible. I actually preferred the humor of the earlier discussions and I think everyone who participates in a thread discussion like this should read what has been posted previously from post one. Nevertheless, below is a section of Thoreau's quote that even Adam doesn't quote:

“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things..”

What Reardon may be trying to say is that Adam wouldn't be any happier in the city than he is in the country if he thinks that all his "desperation" will dissolve. Misery knows no boundaries. And anyone familiar with Thoreau knows that he advocated simplicity and living in the natural world. Hoss fits a Thoreau disciple much better than Adam does. See a pattern? Hoss talks about how much he identifies with nature and the natural life while Adam is all about himself and his guilt and the lack of medical care and the nasty bad guys, etc. etc. To put it simplistically, Thoreau, Emerson and the other Transcendentalists along with the Romantics in England, believed that cities and society engendered sin and corruption -- only in nature could one find true beauty and peace and, if one is so inclined, God through his creations.

And I agree with Hoss' request for Adam to "Ease up."
Last edited by Adamant on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 306
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 am

And one more thing -- Adam looks "unclean" in this episode -- and he should. He was out hunting for days, rode home with Joe on his horse and didn't shave or wash due to the circumstance once he was home. And when he and Sheila put their arms about one another, I always think that he must reek to high heaven. :winking
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Quietgirl
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 5

Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 100 Posts Christmas 2017
Escape To Ponderosa

View all badges

Post by Quietgirl » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 am

Adamant; keepin' it real. LOL!
These users thanked the author Quietgirl for the post:
Adamant
Any man's death diminishes me, Because I am involved in mankind, And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. "John Donne"

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Adamant wrote:I have resisted participating in this discussion because I think that some are looking for meaning where there really isn't one and I see no association with The Crucible. I actually preferred the humor of the earlier discussions and I think everyone who participates in a thread discussion like this should read what has been posted previously from post one.
I totally understand that David Dortort, the writers of Bonanza, and the actors probably had none of what we've been discussing in mind. That's why I labeled my first digression about The Cruciblewith a clear warning that it was solely my opinion. :yes

I just enjoy creating a more cohesive storyline. It's all fiction, of course, but part of the fun of it is treating these episodes as though they were real life accounts of historical people. I certainly don't think anybody needs to see it the way I do, or that we have to find each other's interpretations appealing! It's like fanfiction.

Also, I did read the entire thread. I've read it multiple times in the past and enjoyed it immensely; but I don't think we have to limit discussions to the tone of what's come before.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Adamant wrote:And one more thing -- Adam looks "unclean" in this episode -- and he should. He was out hunting for days, rode home with Joe on his horse and didn't shave or wash due to the circumstance once he was home. And when he and Sheila put their arms about one another, I always think that he must reek to high heaven. :winking
Also, yes.

Not so romantic after all. :grin
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 5
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Adamant wrote:I have resisted participating in this discussion because I think that some are looking for meaning where there really isn't one and I see no association with The Crucible. I actually preferred the humor of the earlier discussions and I think everyone who participates in a thread discussion like this should read what has been posted previously from post one. Nevertheless, below is a section of Thoreau's quote that even Adam doesn't quote:
Hi Adamant...I just joined here a few weeks ago and I certainly read every post before I made any comments. In my opinion this is an art form and there will be different interpretations. And they may change. In a few months I might see something in a different light.

I agree with you.... agreeing with Hoss when he told Adam to ease up. Adam was obviously exaggerating and was just wanting to get out of the situation.

Like maybe if we never went hunting ...the accident would not have happened. Maybe if we lived in the city this would never have happened. Maybe if I never owned a gun. You can go on and on...

kind of like now....if you never learn to drive ...that car accident would never happen.

Second guessing the what if's
"You're a good man, Adam." *Toy Soldier*

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310

Forum Moderator Librarian Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by patina » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:13 pm

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote:
Adamant wrote:And one more thing -- Adam looks "unclean" in this episode -- and he should. He was out hunting for days, rode home with Joe on his horse and didn't shave or wash due to the circumstance once he was home. And when he and Sheila put their arms about one another, I always think that he must reek to high heaven. :winking
Also, yes.

Not so romantic after all. :grin
Perhaps Sheila had lost her sense of smell on the trip West. :grin

She must have been sorely disappointed that Adam didn’t forget about Joe for a few minutes (or an hour) to have a make-out session with her so she asked him to kiss her. Shameless little hussy. :laughing
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes, I have read the entire thread more than once since I believe I commented several times since my first post in 2016. I don't think the Crucible had an impact on stories after it because they usually treated these stories like a complete movie. I also think PR did do more than 10% on his acting. I think that was his way of saying there was so much more that he could do etc. ( yes, that was discussed earlier in the thread) As far as not being clean, after Pa got there and Joe was better, I think he did clean up, cuz he looks it when Sheila says goodby but when he put he's arm around her earlier ewwww!
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
Sierras

Return to “Season 4”