Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Re: Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 pm

This was a great story/episode. The Reardons didn't bother me; I actually felt bad for them, receiving the brunt of Adam's sarcasm when they were only trying to help. What bothered me was I felt that this was one of those episodes where PR was giving "10% of his creative effort" into it. I can't explain it or even defend it; I just felt that he was emotionally flat and holding back. :shrug

Anyway, this episode is still awesome because it's so gif worthy. :grin It covers many of the Bonanza requirements:

SJS = Suffering Joe Syndrome
ESA = Emotionally Suffering Adam
SAS = Suffering Adam Story
H&H = hurt & horizontal
JAM = Joe-Adam Moment
JPM = Joe-Pa Moment
#LittleJoeGetsShotALot :rotfl

and for the slashers/shippers: great #comfort moments :thumbup Enjoy the gifs.

These users thanked the author snapdragon for the post (total 3):
SharrySierra Girlbijallashkari

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 60
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:05 pm

snapdragon wrote:This was a great story/episode. The Reardons didn't bother me; I actually felt bad for them, receiving the brunt of Adam's sarcasm when they were only trying to help. What bothered me was I felt that this was one of those episodes where PR was giving "10% of his creative effort" into it. I can't explain it or even defend it; I just felt that he was emotionally flat and holding back.
:shrug

Know what, Snapdragon? I love this particular episode, and I have thought very similar things. When I consider what I know Pernell is capable of, I have puzzled over it a bit as well. I had wondered if the scripts were boring him at that point, or just what? I couldn't put my finger on it either, but I had the same intuitive feeling. I've rather always wondered what was up with that.
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
snapdragon

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by January » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:27 pm

I didn't think he was only giving 10% of his acting ability here. To me it seemed like he was following a directors cue and acting like Adam Cartwright would act. I didn't see Pernell coming though, I saw Adam only.
These users thanked the author January for the post:
Sharry
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 307
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer
Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:21 am

Usually Adam beat himself up privately as when he had to kill Ross, his friend. But in this episode Adam lashes out at everyone and blames himself openly. I feel sorry for the Reardons, well, the father as well. No matter what he says, Adam snarls at him and makes a snide comment. Things do seem a bit odd as far as Adam's character and even Hoss tells him to "ease up." But he does return to his usual equanimity at the end.

I think it may be the way he says some of the lines in almost a monotone--flat--but that may be to reflect the emotional turmoil inside. Adam may be attempting to dull the pain and it is shown through his voice. Or I'm overthinking it.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
Sharry
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

adamsgermangirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 63

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017 Broken Hearts Valentine's Day 2017 Lorne Greene Birthday 2017
BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. BINGO Search Emoticon Edition Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Stuffed In Chat
Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Paint Me A Picture Pernell Roberts Birthday 2015

View all badges

Post by adamsgermangirl » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:31 am

January wrote:I didn't think he was only giving 10% of his acting ability here. To me it seemed like he was following a directors cue and acting like Adam Cartwright would act. I didn't see Pernell coming though, I saw Adam only.
These could be my words.

AdamCult2b
Drover
Drover
Badges: 58

Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Summer 2018 Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017 Without A Trace 5 Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016
The Coloring Book Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Fun With Art Sadie Hawkins Day 2016
Group Member Like us on fb 5-star review 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by AdamCult2b » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:42 am

January wrote:I didn't think he was only giving 10% of his acting ability here. To me it seemed like he was following a directors cue and acting like Adam Cartwright would act. I didn't see Pernell coming though, I saw Adam only.
That is my impression too. And in addition they showed another side of Adam when he is a bit unpatient and unpolite due to his emotional distress.
It may be the way to tame a shrew but not a Woman of Fire
A man who hold on to his convictions takes courage (The Ride)

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 60

Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:34 am

I hadn't considered the director's cue side of things, but yes - that could certainly be it. (Which seems a bit obvious now, huh?) After all, he was supposed to be Adam there, and not Pernell.

I think it's the monotone in his voice that distracts me. His entire affect becomes quite flat before things are over, but he didn't start out that way in the beginning of the episode, which also makes sense. He was initially the Adam I expected him to be. People under tremendous stress can and do react in similar ways to difficult situations when they're simply emotionally and physically exhausted. :thumbup
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post:
RedShirt

tym
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 2

100 Posts Fun Topic Starter

View all badges

Post by tym » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:53 am

After seeing this episode several time, I decided PR's performance was very nuanced-under-stated, which from what I understand was his style. but quite nuanced-particularly the fireside scene with "Hoss." His lines and/or the way he delivered them, IMO may have even reflected his personal predicament. He wasn't satisfied with the show, but bound/felt trapped by a contract and perhaps other considerations...."quite desperation...resignation." The first several times I saw this scene, I agreed with criticism that PR wasn't all there and also wondered what that Thoreau line added to the party, but I changed my mind. The porch scene with Reardon, however and PR seemingly looking in the wrong direction, was awkward for me. I also agree that there was a director in the picture who had something to say about the way scenes were acted and lines were delivered.

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:33 am

Perhaps we should also keep in mind that Miss Reardon reminded him of his decision to return to the Ponderosa after studying ("Sometimes I wonder why.") That means he is questioning his decision ever since. And with her naivety to see only the "golden" West as a visitor and not its hardships when you really live there, she drives him to sarcasm and impoliteness, too. With Joe in mortal danger, this seems too much for him to bear in silence. (Besides, it's better for him to express his anger than to just swallow it in silence.)
These users thanked the author manulanee for the post:
Sharry
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:28 am

I didn't feel like PR was holding back, I felt like ADAM was doing his best to hold himself together and do what needed to be done for Joe in an extremely difficult situation.

debpet2 :adam

Return to “Season 4”