Episode 123 - A STRANGER PASSED THIS WAY

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 449
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Global Moderator Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Reader's Choice Level 4 BINGO After Party

View all badges

Re: Episode 123 - A STRANGER PASSED THIS WAY

Post by Gillie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Mrs. Vandavoort was extremely annoying to me. I think the thing about her that bothered me the most was her eagerness and happiness at the end of the show when she thought that she was going to make a clean get-away with Hoss in tow. :mad

I also didn't like when Hoss almost decked Ben when the photograph of his mother broke. Yes, it did serve to jog Hoss' memory...still, I found it more than a little bit jarring.
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:03 am

Julianna wrote:Mrs. Vandavoort did say several names to help Hoss remember who he was. One of the names was Eric, his real name. Y'all don't be too hard on Mrs. Vandavoort, losing a child is very difficult.(especially one you have known and loved for many years) And her son was an only child too.
Sometimes, the writing for Bonanza could be cruel to women.
IMO she never lived through her grief of losing a child. The way she is acting makes me imagine she just put her grief away, she never let him go. Perhaps she clinged to the idea, it might have been just a dream and he would return the next morning. In a way she was very selfish because she was sick I think, trying to replace one son with another or trying to find someone she could care for as a mother.
Those of us who already lost a child, know that this just is not possible, because each child is a person of his or her own; and even if you have 10 sons, you will always miss the one who is gone. You can't replace the child, but you can enjoy the others living.
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:13 am

[ In a way she was very selfish because she was sick I think, trying to replace one son with another or trying to find someone she could care for as a mother.
Those of us who already lost a child, know that this just is not possible, because each child is a person of his or her own; and even if you have 10 sons, you will always miss the one who is gone. You can't replace the child, but you can enjoy the others living.[/quote]

:hoss of course it is not possible and she does let it go... Everyone grieves differently because we love differently. I know exactly how it is. The pain of loss is always there, just not as strong with time. What I find interesting is when Hoss' memory returns he doesn't remember who the Vanerhoots are. Why would that be? I agree she was sick. It would have been a good idea for her to adopt an orphan to give her love to. But this story was about Hoss and not the vanderhoots
Last edited by Julianna on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:35 am

Julianna wrote: What I find interesting is when Hoss' memory returns he doesn't remember who the Vanerhoots are. Why would that be?
I've seen that in a lot of amnesia stories. The person gets amnesia and can't remember their previous life; then, when they finally get their memories back, they can't remember anything that happened while they had amnesia. I'm not sure if that's how it works in real life or not.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Return to “Season 4”