Episode 123 - A STRANGER PASSED THIS WAY

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 123 - A STRANGER PASSED THIS WAY

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Date: March 3, 1963

Summary: Hoss gets amnesia and is taken in by a Dutch couple whose son has died.

Written by: William Stuart
Directed by: Lewis Allen
Guest Stars: Robert Emhardt (Klaas Vandervort), Signe Hasso (Christina Vandervort)

Slideshow courtesy of Freya

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Re: Episode 123 - A STRANGER PASSED THIS WAY

Post by Cartwright fan. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:09 pm

I just noticed today that when Adam and Joe go with Hoss out to the barn, Adam has his hat on. For some reason, it struck me funny today, and I wondered, "Why the heck would he have his hat on? Especially since Joe doesn't have his, and they were only going to the barn!". Then it hit me; maybe Adam wore his hat, because Pernell didn't want to have to wear his toupee during the scene!!
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
littlejoenice
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Excellent point, Cartwright fan. But I missed that part. Oh well. Gives me another reason to re-watch the episode.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Cartwright fan. wrote:I just noticed today that when Adam and Joe go with Hoss out to the barn, Adam has his hat on. For some reason, it struck me funny today, and I wondered, "Why the heck would he have his hat on? Especially since Joe doesn't have his, and they were only going to the barn!". Then it hit me; maybe Adam wore his hat, because Pernell didn't want to have to wear his toupee during the scene!!
There are a number of scenes where Adam is wearing his hat when the rest aren't, probably for that reason. I can't remember any other specific examples of that at the moment, though.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Never noticed that. Maybe Adam had a bad head cold and he was trying to stay warm. :grin The more likely reason is that PR didn't have his hair on and he just grabbed his hat.

There was something I didn't realize when I first saw this episode. Hoss remarks that Chubb is such a nice horse and Adam says ,"His name is Chubby." Did he make a mistake there? Back then I didn't know Hoss's horse was named Chubb. Was he also called Chubby?

Now I wonder if Adam said that in order to try and jog Hoss's memory. From what I've read, cowboys were really close to their mounts. Maybe Adam thought if Hoss heard the name of his horse, he'd start to remember.

The one other thing I realized was that those Cartwright boys were VERY sentimental. I mean, Hoss was on a trip on horseback, sleeping outdoors and he took along a framed picture of his mother? He also had a picture of her in his bedroom.

Joe had a picture with him too and gave it to his brother Clay. He told him to "bring it back to me" some day. They were so sentimetal. :sob

I don't even carry family pictures in my wallet. lol

Of course they all lost their mothers when they were young. I can just drive over to my mom's house and look at her!
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
PlatoofthePonderosa

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 pm

PJudith wrote: Now I wonder if Adam said that in order to try and jog Hoss's memory. From what I've read, cowboys were really close to their mounts. Maybe Adam thought if Hoss heard the name of his horse, he'd start to remember.
I think you're right, Adam was hoping Hoss would recognize his horse's name.
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
PJudith
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:53 am

Exactly right about Pernell wearing his hat instead of his toupee. He hated wearing that 'rug' I like A Stranger Passed This Way except Mrs Vandervort was a bit too annoying. I guess that's the way she had been written but she sure didn't want to let Hoss go! Once she realized the Cartwrights were Hoss's family she should have backed off.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 am

I just can't believe that Ben would let Hoss go east with the Vandervorts - at least, not without one of the other Cartwrights along.

The whole "amnesia from a bonk on the head" trope is so overused; in real life it is VERY rare, but on TV we see it all the time because it creates interesting stories. Who of us hasn't at one time thought about starting your life totally over? So I can forgive that plot point. But Ben letting Hoss leave the Ponderosa? Wouldn't happen.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
Julianna
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

BensReader
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 213
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Amazon Buyer BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by BensReader » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:35 am

Ben was rightfully concerned about Hoss being taken away by the Vandavoorts, especially with him still not knowing who he was. I can't help but feel a bit put out at how Mrs. Vandavoort was in such a big hurry to leave for their Holland in Michigan. Fortunately, Hoss regained his memory.
In loving memory of Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker, Michael Landon and Pernell Roberts
"Friendship is the wine of life. The longer we keep it, the stronger and sweeter it grows." Spoken by Lorne Greene on the record album, "Christmas On The Ponderosa".

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Mrs. Vandavoort did say several names to help Hoss remember who he was. One of the names was Eric, his real name. Y'all don't be too hard on Mrs. Vandavoort, losing a child is very difficult.(especially one you have known and loved for many years) And her son was an only child too.
Sometimes, the writing for Bonanza could be cruel to women.

Return to “Season 4”