Episode 121 - THE HAYBURNER

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 121 - THE HAYBURNER

Post by Julianna » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:44 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Julianna wrote:This is in my top 5 favorite episodes.
You were able to narrow your favorites down to five?! Lucky you! That would so hard for me! There are so many good ones, I don't think I'd be able to do that! :laughing
Oh good lord no, I have more than 5 favorites! I meant my top five. Any that can vary on my mood. Hard to pin it down. I never have sat down to number them but I would guess I have 12 to 15 favorites :lol
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
littlejoenice

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 44

Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 4 BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 3 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:17 pm

RedShirt wrote:
That depends.
My mom used to always make coffee (and if she had time something like a cake -- she could do a cinnamon one quick as biscuits) for company. She always included a saucer with the cups, because she'd grown up in a house where, if the coffee's too hot and you're pressed for time, you pour it in the saucer to cool and sip from the side of the dish. It's only bad manners if you make a slurping noise. The saucer also lets you pour or spoon your coffee over your cake, of course!
I doubt that little detail was in the script. Maybe it's a southern custom? Pernell was from Georgia.

I always thought the saucer was for catching spilled coffee. :wink
"You're a good man, Adam. You're very kind, thoughtful, considerate.
Gonna tell my people, Paiutes, you're our friend." *Toy soldier*

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 am

It's called "saucer and blow." Some people would pour the coffee back into the cup, but some would just drink it from the saucer.

You don't see it much anymore, because (1) modern coffeemakers don't boil the coffee, so it's not as hot when it's served, and (2) when's the last time you used a saucer?
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
RedShirt
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

sabwashere
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: JOE

Post by sabwashere » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 am

My favorite episode ever. This is one of the episode that all three brother are involve. :)

debbiejo
Drover
Drover
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 100 Posts September Song 2013
Summer 2013 Summer 2014 Easter 2013 Michael Landon

View all badges

Post by debbiejo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 am

Love this episode and Alex Sharp wrote it so well. It allowed the brothers to be humoursly "petty" and competetive amongst themselves and less the "noble" Cartwrights, haha. Gave them the opportunity for great facial expressions also. Yes, Alex indeed surpassed some of the more "professional" scriptwriters.

RootsAndFins
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Post by RootsAndFins » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:13 pm

A funny episode all the way through! Some of the humor episodes for Bonanza I’ve watched I only liked a couple of scenes or only the first half, but this one started funny and stayed funny.

Just about my favorite Adam moment in this episode (though there are a lot of great ones) is right after he tells Ben “We bought a horse.” He has such a sweet smile right after he says it, as if he’s trying to convince Ben that they haven’t done anything wrong with that smile alone.
A4ever wrote:Joe being overly greedy in his demand for security - you think Adam would fall for that under any circumstances? Maybe but still a bit over the top. Then Joe's backstabbing - where's the so-called brotherly love and loyalty that the show wanted to project? I really thought there was a bit too much greed from Joe.
That actually seemed pretty in character to me. Joe’s habit of scheming, combined with a sibling’s tendency to mess with another sibling when given the opportunity, you end up with this episode. When your sibling is in actual financial trouble you’d help them with it (though they’d probably just go to Ben if that were the case) but for frivolous stuff like this? I’d absolutely twist their arm too.

I actually did once when I was about seven. My older brother wanted to buy my stuffed animal so I wrote up a contract with payments in installments and a high interest rate that I demanded be initialed and everything. Joe is just pulling the grown up version of this. And since they’re grown up, Adam can’t just go complain to his parent to get out of like my brother did lol.

Lisal
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 42

Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 4 1,000 Posts BINGO Snail Round-Up Game
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 FanFic Writer Badge
Oscar Chat 2019 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 2

View all badges

Post by Lisal » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:21 am

I ADORE this episode. One of my top five, easily.

I love Adam's "If you weren't so big, I'd pop you one right in the mouth" - not only was Pernell hilarious in that bit, he is probably the most handsome man I've ever seen. In fact, I do believe he is what I have based my criteria for handsomeness on for my entire life.

I also love - "My aren't we grand?", the Milfords, Joe's sore backside, Hoss being afraid of Adam at the end, the smile on Hoss and Adam when Ben finds them in the bar ... all so funny and well done.

Fabulous episode.
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:51 pm

I love this episode and it is better than Ponderosa Matador which is also very funny. I have commented earlier but I see no one mentioned the scene while they are about to have coffee and pie and Cora asks if Adam and Hoss if they missed LJ. Adam sarcastically replies "If we were, we're over it now". Just cracks me up. Matador has some great lines but this one has really funny situations!

Return to “Season 4”