Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Re: Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Would you believe it? I've had four people now tell me that they saw Marie fall off that silly horse and be carried into the house, where she took her last breath and died. Those people are, in order:

My mother
a retired teacher (friend of the family)
a friend from our church
a friend who works in a Catholic gift shop

They all claim the same thing: that they all seen Marie come riding up to the house, fall off the horse, and then be carried into the house by Ben and laid on the couch, where she died soon after. Is it just me, or is something creepy going on?
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 306
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:27 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
They all claim the same thing: that they all seen Marie come riding up to the house, fall off the horse, and then be carried into the house by Ben and laid on the couch, where she died soon after.
It just illustrates how fallible people's memories are of events. It also shows how powerful narrative is, why writing or storytelling is such a persuasive thing as people read or hear something and create the image in their mind that later serves as a memory. We can convince ourselves of anything.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post (total 3):
littlejoeniceSharryPJudith
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Yes, there are such things as "false memories". Memories can be influenced by many factors. That's one reason why lawyers do not like to rely on eye witness testimony. They would prefer hard physical evidence.

There was a funny MASH episode which illustrated this point called "Captain Tuttle". Hawkeye and Trapper are loading up supplies for the orphanage and give credit to the fictitious "Captain Tuttle" for his generosity. Their phony story takes on a life of its own and by the end of the episode, everyone in the camp including Frank Burns and Margaret Houlihan "remember" him fondly. They are all sure that they knew Captain Tuttle and talk about what a great guy he was.

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 131
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 9

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 pm

It's easier to create false memories if there is already something there on which to super-impose. Joe being carried into the house easily becomes Marie. I experienced a false memory myself the other day, but can't remember what it was. :laughing
These users thanked the author elizabeth for the post:
Sharry
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:13 pm

There are no false memories here. Look at this interesting bit of script trivia I found concerning this episode on the Ponderosa Scenery website.
Script Trivia: David Dortort originally had scripted Marie's death at the hands of a jealous lover, who pursues her to the Ponderosa from New Orleans and in the climax Ben kills the man. Writer Anthony Lawrence with Dortort changed Marie's death to a horse riding accident in the front yard of the Ponderosa.
This proves that it was written into the script and shown-- at least-- in Canada. The best explanation I've got for the scene not being there now is perhaps Felicia Farr (Marie Cartwright) probably decided to keep that scene in a private collection, so it was cut. I've heard of some actors and actresses buying out certain scenes of a TV or movie they were in if they liked it a lot.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310

Forum Moderator Librarian Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by patina » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:46 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Script Trivia: David Dortort originally had scripted Marie's death at the hands of a jealous lover, who pursues her to the Ponderosa from New Orleans and in the climax Ben kills the man. Writer Anthony Lawrence with Dortort changed Marie's death to a horse riding accident in the front yard of the Ponderosa.
This proves that it was written into the script and shown-- at least-- in Canada. The best explanation I've got for the scene not being there now is perhaps Felicia Farr (Marie Cartwright) probably decided to keep that scene in a private collection, so it was cut. I've heard of some actors and actresses buying out certain scenes of a TV or movie they were in if they liked it a lot.
No, it doesn't prove such a scene was filmed. The scene may have only appeared in an initial draft of the script before the script was changed.

David Dortort's original vision for Marie's death (according to the 1959 press release below), was death by horse accident. Perhaps Anthony Lawrence came up with the jealous ex-lover story-line because it was more dramatic but Mr. Dortort over-rode it and said to stick with his original vision. :shrug
press release wrote:Pursued by bitter memories, he traveled South to New Orleans, where he tried his hand at importing and exporting. There he met and lost his heart to a fiery Creole beauty, Marie, whose father had been one of Jean Lafitte's henchmen. Surrounded by suitors, she aroused such feelings of passion and jealousy in Ben that he vowed to have her for himself alone. He wooed and won her in a cyclonic courtship. She bore him a third son, Little Joe, but after a few happy years death struck once more, and Ben's wife lost her life in a horse riding accident at the Ponderosa, which was just freshly built by Ben in Nevada.
Your family and friends who insist they remember a scene of a dying Marie being carried into the Ponderosa ranch house have juxtaposed a scene from a different series with Bonanza. Or have transposed a scene from a different episode of Bonanza with Marie My Love. Perhaps they've juxtaposed Hoss carrying exhausted Sylvia Ann (The Tin Badge) into the house after she falls off Cochise in the Ponderosa's front yard with Marie--both women were blondes.
These users thanked the author patina for the post:
ellen
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 306
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 am

patina wrote:
littlejoenice wrote:
No, it doesn't prove such a scene was filmed. The scene may have only appeared in an initial draft of the script before the script was changed.
I agree with patina for two simple reasons: if such a scene had been filmed, it would be in Bonanza archival history and...where in the episode would it have been? By the end of the section dealing with Ben and Marie, they are still in N.O. It would have made no sense to insert it there as it would have no place in the narrative structure. This episode is structured as a "frame" story, a larger story (Ben & Marie) within the frame of the story of Joe falling off his horse and then recovering at the end. It's a classic structure as used in "The Canterbury Tales." It's as logical as that. The people who say they remember seeing the scene are mistaken as they may have just imagined it or, as patina suggested, confused it with another.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
ellen
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:14 pm

PJudith wrote:
littlejoenice wrote:Also, on another note, as I said before, I'm working on a Bonanza story with Marie... with a few twists! :grin
Well that sounds like an intriguing story. Marie always seemed like a bit of a mystery to me.

As far as her dying after she fell off her horse, that's always been another mystery to me. According to the episode, she was riding up to the house and fell off her horse. Now I know that horse breaking was very dangerous, but falling off your horse while it was walking up to the house?? I can understand a few bruises. And there was Barbara in Right is the Fourth R, she slipped off her horse and broke her arm. A very clumsy woman if you ask me.

But how did Marie die falling off her horse? I doubt if she was galloping up to the front door! Was it supposed to be some freak accident where she fell in a strange way and hit her head? I don't ride horses myself. But from what I have heard, people fall off them a lot when they are learning to ride. Now being thrown is one thing, I just wonder how Marie died from falling off a horse. :shrug
For those of you who are interested, my version of "Marie, My Love," is in the library. :grin

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm

I just don't remember seeing a scene where Marie dies during the original run. That being said, doesn't mean it wasn't filmed and discarded, never to air on TV. There are many scenes that were shot and chosen not to be used. In the Dark Gate I read Adam and Delphine were supposed to have kissed but that scene was cut. I also read that Adam drove the stage coach in Cutthroat Junction, but there was an accident and that scene and related material was cut. (that accident was posted in the newspaper) As far as people thinking they saw Marie fall from the horse, perhaps they are thinking of Joe's fall with Ben saying something like" just like Marie". (The power of suggestion) She does ride a horse in Ben's memory at the early part of the episode and almost runs him over!

debbiejo
Drover
Drover
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 100 Posts September Song 2013
Summer 2013 Summer 2014 Easter 2013 Michael Landon

View all badges

Post by debbiejo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am

I well recall seeing this episode when it was originally aired in 1963 (and the summer rerun) and Marie's actual fall off a horse and death was never shown.....only talked about by Ben. I have read (might have been in an old Bonanza Gold mag) that they wanted to do another episode with Felica Farr as Marie with her coming to the Ponderosa as Ben's wife, but during the filming of Marie My Love, a technician died right on set due to some heavy smoke or fog being created for a scene and that created negative vibes for Felicia Farr and she didn't want to do a followup episode.

Please anyone jump in and add to this or correct me, but I'm pretty sure I read it in a credible source.

Return to “Season 4”