Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Re: Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:07 pm

patina wrote:
littlejoenice wrote:In any case, it was taken out, and with good reason, I think.

That's assuming there ever was such a scene.
I finally re-found the place I read that bit of info at.
http://www.oocities.org/remmike2006/bts ... page_2.htm

Episode 65. Elizabeth My Love – First aired on May 27, 1961.
In the original script, there is a scene after Elizabeth (Geraldine Brooks) dies where Ben, unable to accept it, has gotten drunk. According to Andy Klyde that scene was filmed but for some reason it was cut from the episode.
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
patina
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:59 pm

PJudith wrote:
But how did Marie die falling off her horse? I doubt if she was galloping up to the front door! Was it supposed to be some freak accident where she fell in a strange way and hit her head? I don't ride horses myself. But from what I have heard, people fall off them a lot when they are learning to ride. Now being thrown is one thing, I just wonder how Marie died from falling off a horse. :shrug
It's easy to break your neck falling off a horse--I almost did years ago and my horse was merely trotting but it shied at a water bucket that was blown about outside the ring. Threw me off-balance. And if a horse falls with a rider, the horse's first instinct is to get back up and they often roll on top of the rider in their efforts. About 15 years ago, a horse William Shatner was riding fell and rolled on him. He had to be transported to the hospital having been seriously injured; it could have been much worse.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
PJudith
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Speaking of cut scenes and such, my March Mystery idea came from this that I read on Ponderosa Scenery. And I don't think I'm spoiling anything for anyone who may eventually choose to read it.

Script Trivia: David Dortort originally had scripted Marie's death at the hands of a jealous lover, who pursues her to the Ponderosa from New Orleans and in the climax Ben kills the man. Writer Anthony Lawrence with Dortort changed Marie's death to a horse riding accident in the front yard of the Ponderosa.
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
littlejoenice
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Well thanks for that information. I just know so little about riding horses. I wondered how Marie could be riding up to the front door and thrown off her horse to her death. I didn't think she would be galloping or riding up fast.

My only experience riding horses was at a block party in my town when I was little. They had pony rides. So I took one.

All I could think was, "Get me OFF of this thing!" :sad It was the first time that I realized that I was afraid of heights! Just a few feet off the ground and I was in a panic. I've often wanted to learn how to ride but my fear of heights just makes me freeze up.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 150
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Adamant wrote:Speaking of cut scenes and such, my March Mystery idea came from this that I read on Ponderosa Scenery. And I don't think I'm spoiling anything for anyone who may eventually choose to read it.

Script Trivia: David Dortort originally had scripted Marie's death at the hands of a jealous lover, who pursues her to the Ponderosa from New Orleans and in the climax Ben kills the man. Writer Anthony Lawrence with Dortort changed Marie's death to a horse riding accident in the front yard of the Ponderosa.
I think it was Lorne Greene who suggested the change. I don't think he was comfortable with that sort of thing happening to his "wife." Also, I don't think Marie ever wore a blue dress, did she? Because women on the Ponderosa only died wearing a blue dress. Unless of course, the blue one she was wearing when she first laid eyes on Ben counts. :laughing
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 311

Forum Moderator Librarian Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm

The original NBC press release for Bonanza includes the backstory David Dortort created for her, including her death on the Ponderosa:
press release wrote:Pursued by bitter memories, he traveled South to New Orleans, where he tried his hand at importing and exporting. There he met and lost his heart to a fiery Creole beauty, Marie, whose father had been one of Jean Lafitte's henchmen. Surrounded by suitors, she aroused such feelings of passion and jealousy in Ben that he vowed to have her for himself alone. He wooed and won her in a cyclonic courtship. She bore him a third son, Little Joe, but after a few happy years death struck once more, and Ben's wife lost her life in a horse riding accident at the Ponderosa, which was just freshly built by Ben in Nevada. Before his arrival in Nevada, Ben was witness to the destruction of the lush Sutter Valley, in California, and in the wake of the aftermath, decided to journey to Nevada, with young Adam and Hoss, to build his empire.
The jealous ex-lover tracking Marie down is far more intriguing than death by horse. Especially since there were only hints about her mysterious past dropped now and then.

The full text of the original press release can be found on page 2 of this thread. Exact dates in the episodes
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 311

Forum Moderator Librarian Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:20 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Also, I don't think Marie ever wore a blue dress, did she? Because women on the Ponderosa only died wearing a blue dress. Unless of course, the blue one she was wearing when she first laid eyes on Ben counts. :laughing
Marie wore 2 blue dresses--the light blue formal gown (she was wearing that dress when she met Ben) and the deep violet dress worn by several other ladies who visited the Ponderosa.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:03 pm

patina wrote: ... and the deep violet dress worn by several other ladies who visited the Ponderosa.
You mean the women who never got to wear it a second time! :ha
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

debbiejo
Drover
Drover
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 100 Posts September Song 2013
Summer 2013 Summer 2014 Easter 2013 Michael Landon

View all badges

Post by debbiejo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:05 pm

"The jealous ex-lover tracking Marie down is far more intriguing than death by horse. Especially since there were only hints about her mysterious past dropped now and then."

Oh yes, that would have been a better plot, IMHO, also. Marie was a beautiful woman, who would have had many potential admirers. Just like her son.
These users thanked the author debbiejo for the post:
patina

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:33 pm

No, I wouldn't have liked that. I think her falling off a horse is much better... or maybe, the way I've always thought of it, since we never seen her die, she could be still alive somewhere.

Return to “Season 4”