Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Post by Calamity » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 pm

littlejoenice wrote:I'm glad they took out Ben's liquor scene. Considering the type of man Lorne Greene was, it wouldn't have fit his character.
I don't know. It seems to me that in Prime of Life Ben did dwell in self pity.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Calamity wrote:
littlejoenice wrote:I'm glad they took out Ben's liquor scene. Considering the type of man Lorne Greene was, it wouldn't have fit his character.
I don't know. It seems to me that in Prime of Life Ben did dwell in self pity.
True, but once his eyes were opened to reality, he was back to being his normal, bossy self. :laughing
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
Calamity
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Also, on another note, as I said before, I'm working on a Bonanza story with Marie... with a few twists! :grin
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:38 pm

littlejoenice wrote:Also, on another note, as I said before, I'm working on a Bonanza story with Marie... with a few twists! :grin
Well that sounds like an intriguing story. Marie always seemed like a bit of a mystery to me.

As far as her dying after she fell off her horse, that's always been another mystery to me. According to the episode, she was riding up to the house and fell off her horse. Now I know that horse breaking was very dangerous, but falling off your horse while it was walking up to the house?? I can understand a few bruises. And there was Barbara in Right is the Fourth R, she slipped off her horse and broke her arm. A very clumsy woman if you ask me.

But how did Marie die falling off her horse? I doubt if she was galloping up to the front door! Was it supposed to be some freak accident where she fell in a strange way and hit her head? I don't ride horses myself. But from what I have heard, people fall off them a lot when they are learning to ride. Now being thrown is one thing, I just wonder how Marie died from falling off a horse. :shrug
These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
littlejoenice

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 306

Forum Moderator Librarian Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day Convention 2019 Convention Swag 2019

View all badges

Post by patina » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:24 pm

I thought Joe's ride up in the yard with Cochise falling on top of him was supposed to be similar to what happened to Marie. At least that's what triggers Ben's memories of Marie in the ep.
These users thanked the author patina for the post:
ellen
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

JDGal1987
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 6
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Valentine's Day 2017 100 Posts BOOMers BOOMbox Lorne Greene Birthday 2017
PODs Stepping Up 2017

View all badges

Post by JDGal1987 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:15 pm

What liquor scene are you referring to? I hadn't heard of this before. And how old were Ben amd Marie supposed to be in this episode?
“You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.”
– James Froude

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:42 pm

JDGal1987 wrote:
What liquor scene are you referring to? I hadn't heard of this before. And how old were Ben amd Marie supposed to be in this episode?
It's in a post by Cartwright fan, on Page 1. It was a cut scene for the episode, "Elizabeth, My Love."

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day Convention 2019 Convention Swag 2019

View all badges

Post by patina » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:27 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
JDGal1987 wrote:
It's in a post by Cartwright fan, on Page 1. It was a cut scene for the episode, "Elizabeth, My Love."
Cartwright fan. wrote:Interesting; I'd never heard of those scenes before, and they would've been cool to see! Maybe they cut them for timing purposes, since they might've pushed the episodes over their time limit, or just thought they weren't necessary to the story. I mean, I read somewhere that they cut a scene where Ben was drowning his sorrows in liquor after Elizabeth died in "Elizabeth My Love". It could've been a case like that, where it really wouldn't add anything, and would've made the episode too long. Just my speculations. Interesting information though!
One would have to look at the original script for Elizabeth My Love to know if there ever had been a scene of Ben turning to liquor following Elizabeth's death. There certainly isn't such a scene in the uncut ep in the official release DVD.
These users thanked the author patina for the post (total 2):
littlejoeniceJDGal1987
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:21 pm

In any case, it was taken out, and with good reason, I think.

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by patina » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:06 pm

littlejoenice wrote:In any case, it was taken out, and with good reason, I think.

That's assuming there ever was such a scene.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

Return to “Season 4”