Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Date: February 10, 1963

Summary: Flashbacks show the story of how Ben met Marie.

Written by:Anthony Lawrence and Anne Howard Bailey
Directed by: Lewis Allen
Guest Stars: Felicia Farr (Marie DeMarigny)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 150
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 120 - MARIE, MY LOVE

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:46 pm

I read somewhere that this episode showed the scene where Marie died, as did the previous two (or three?) with Ben's wives. How come when I watched it on YouTube, that scene wasn't there? :shrug
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:12 pm

I dunno littlejoenice. I've never seen the scene you are referring to either, and don't know that it exists. I guess I can't give you any more info on it than you already have. (Sorry!)
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

Reader's Choice Level 4 Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019
Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Cartwright fan. wrote:I dunno littlejoenice. I've never seen the scene you are referring to either, and don't know that it exists. I guess I can't give you any more info on it than you already have. (Sorry!)
Well, you see, I got that little bit of information from the book, Bonanza: The Definitive Ponderosa Companion. It stated that part in there, as well as a piece for the episode, Hoss and the Leprechauns. In the book was an episode guide, and it said that there was a scene at the end where the lead leprechaun told Hoss that the gold is buried in the woods underneath the tree with the red ribbon. Only when him and his family got out there, they found that every pine tree out there had a red ribbon around it!
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:28 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Cartwright fan. wrote:I dunno littlejoenice. I've never seen the scene you are referring to either, and don't know that it exists. I guess I can't give you any more info on it than you already have. (Sorry!)
Well, you see, I got that little bit of information from the book, Bonanza: The Definitive Ponderosa Companion. It stated that part in there, as well as a piece for the episode, Hoss and the Leprechauns. In the book was an episode guide, and it said that there was a scene at the end where the lead leprechaun told Hoss that the gold is buried in the woods underneath the tree with the red ribbon. Only when him and his family got out there, they found that every pine tree out there had a red ribbon around it!
Interesting; I'd never heard of those scenes before, and they would've been cool to see! Maybe they cut them for timing purposes, since they might've pushed the episodes over their time limit, or just thought they weren't necessary to the story. I mean, I read somewhere that they cut a scene where Ben was drowning his sorrows in liquor after Elizabeth died in "Elizabeth My Love". It could've been a case like that, where it really wouldn't add anything, and would've made the episode too long. Just my speculations. Interesting information though!
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm glad they took out Ben's liquor scene. Considering the type of man Lorne Greene was, it wouldn't have fit his character.

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 311
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Librarian Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:06 pm

littlejoenice wrote:I read somewhere that this episode showed the scene where Marie died, as did the previous two (or three?) with Ben's wives. How come when I watched it on YouTube, that scene wasn't there? :shrug
There is no Marie death scene, snippets of Marie on the Ponderosa, or Adam and Hoss as little boys in this ep.

A second Marie episode was planned, per an interview with Felicia Farr in Bonanza Gold, but the writers never got around to prepping a script.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:14 pm

I don't think there was any scene of Marie's death.

But I do wish they had filmed a second Marie episode. For one thing, it would have been nice to see Ben with an actual wife on the Ponderosa. I'm curious to see who they would have cast to play a young Adam and Hoss. And Felicia Farr was such a beautiful woman, such a sweet delicate face. Joe seemed like he would be her son.

Wish we could have seen an intact Cartwright family for one episode.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Felicia Farr was a very good actress and it would have been great to have another episode with Marie, as planned. Joe didn't look a lot like her. I guess he got his dark, curly hair from pa.

emilysean
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day Without A Trace 7
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Don't Blink Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 Time For A Commercial Break 3
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017

View all badges

Post by emilysean » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:55 pm

I wish they would have had more flash back shows. Imagine Adam teaching Little Joe how to tie his shoes I seem to remember one episode where they said that Adam had to go talk to Joe's teacher when Joe was younger and Ben was away. Imagine if there was an episode where the Ponderosa was under construction and possibly just completed enough for Marie to give birth to Little Joe in the master bedroom.

And even though there was no death scene for Marie they did say that she died in a horse riding accident that was similar to the tumble that Joe took in the episode.
These users thanked the author emilysean for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart

Return to “Season 4”