Episode 112 - THE DECISION

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 112 - THE DECISION

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Date: December 16, 1962

Summary: : Hoss gets injured during a cattle drive. Ben takes him to a nearby town where the only doctor is in jail, sentenced to hang for committing murder.

Written by: Frank Chase, Norman Jacobs
Directed by: William F. Claxton
Guest Stars: Dr. Michael Johns...DeForest Kelley Judge Franklin Grant...John Hoyt Karen Johns...Lisabeth Hush Sheriff...Walter Sande Culp...Eddie Quillan Deputy...Will J. White Bill Clark...(uncredited extra) Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double)

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Re: Episode 112 - THE DECISION

Post by Calamity » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:48 am

"I'm not a doctor, I'm a murderer." Gotta love that line from our own Deforest Kelley. Before Star Trek, he was known for playing the badden and does it so well.

This is a good dramatic episode for Ben but with a few flaws. Joe, Adam and Ben bring Hoss with a cracked rib ten miles to the nearest town in the bouncy buckboard. Is that even possible? Joe and Adam want to stay but are sent back to the herd. Who is minding the herd in their absence?

On a more positive note, Ben solves the doctor's crime mystery and manages to save his son as well. I wonder how long they had to stay in town before Hoss could be moved again. He must have had a speedy recovery for in the very next episode, Hoss plays the good samaritan.

This isn't the last time we see The Clarion newspaper because in just a few more seasons, it gets it's own show. Very cool. :cool1
These users thanked the author Calamity for the post:
Candy_Girl
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:14 pm

The herd must have promised to behave while Adam and Joe helped Ben get Hoss to a Dr. They weren't needed for the rest of the episode so they were sent back. DeForest Kelley did a good job as the dr but I admit, the first time I saw this [probably as a re-run] I was surprised to see him there. Good episode.

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Have to admit I have a little trouble seeing DeForest Kelley as anybody except the good Dr. McCoy from ST. I have the same problem when I see him as the villainous Capt. Moss Johnson in The Honor of Cochise. Kind of wish Adam and Joe had a little more to do in this one than look concerned about their brother for one scene.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post:
Candy_Girl

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 147
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 am

DeForest Kelly was good at playing the villain. Haven't seen him yet in Star Trek, but they're starting to play the 1967 episodes on TV.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

BensReader
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 213
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Amazon Buyer BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by BensReader » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:00 am

DeForest Kelley was an excellent actor, who portrayed a doctor/supposed murderer, and later a good doctor on the Enterprise. Ben struggled to seek the truth, save this doctor from the gallows, and most of all, he saved Hoss. Good episode.
In loving memory of Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker, Michael Landon and Pernell Roberts
"Friendship is the wine of life. The longer we keep it, the stronger and sweeter it grows." Spoken by Lorne Greene on the record album, "Christmas On The Ponderosa".

Candy_Girl
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Candy

Escape To Ponderosa Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures In Memory David Canary
Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts The Coloring Book
PODs The Reading Club Fan Fic Fun September Song 2016
School Daze SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2016 Michael Landon Birthday 2016

View all badges

Post by Candy_Girl » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:56 am

Ben saved the day on this one! DeForest Kelley was an outstanding actor, and Star Trek is one of my all time favorite shows, the original series, nothing else, haha. I consider myself a die-hard trekkie, and love his role as Doctor ("Bones") McCoy. I will have to agree with debpet2, that it was weird seeing him in Bonanza, or any other series for that matter. The same goes for Shatner and Nimoy. Yeah, he was good at playing a villain though, ugh I loathed him as Johnson in "The Honor of Cochise", and I didn't like loathing him because of Star Trek lol. I think one thing that I could change about Bonanza would be including an aftermath of some of the episodes, having some of the current plotlines continue through the season. Episodes like this one and "The Crucible" are good, but have no follow up on the situation. Hoss and Adam are shown in bad shape, with the next episode completely fine. But I guess that's what fanfiction is for :laughing

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 147
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Candy_Girl wrote: Episodes like this one and "The Crucible" are good, but have no follow up on the situation. Hoss and Adam are shown in bad shape, with the next episode completely fine. But I guess that's what fanfiction is for :laughing
I actually wrote two follow-ups for the episode, "The Crucible," one is called Aftershock, and the other, The Hidden Past, in that order. Both are in the library, for your reading pleasure! :laughing
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
Candy_Girl
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Candy_Girl
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 15
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Candy

Escape To Ponderosa Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures In Memory David Canary
Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts The Coloring Book
PODs The Reading Club Fan Fic Fun September Song 2016
School Daze SPOOK-tacular Halloween 2016 Michael Landon Birthday 2016

View all badges

Post by Candy_Girl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:50 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Candy_Girl wrote: Episodes like this one and "The Crucible" are good, but have no follow up on the situation. Hoss and Adam are shown in bad shape, with the next episode completely fine. But I guess that's what fanfiction is for :laughing
I actually wrote two follow-ups for the episode, "The Crucible," one is called Aftershock, and the other, The Hidden Past, in that order. Both are in the library, for your reading pleasure! :laughing
Thanks, I'll certainly go read them!
These users thanked the author Candy_Girl for the post:
littlejoenice

emilysean
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day Without A Trace 7
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Don't Blink Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 Time For A Commercial Break 3
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017

View all badges

Post by emilysean » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:44 pm

As a side question I always wondered what happened to the actors if they only had one scene like Adam and Joe in this episode. Did they work one day that week or did they have them off filming scenes for other episodes? Or were they expected to show up on the set and watch the other actors?

Return to “Season 4”