Episode 110 - THE DEADLY ONES

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 110 - THE DEADLY ONES

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Date: December 2, 1962

Summary: Little Joe is shot by a goon working for General Diaz, a Mexican mercenary who takes over the Ponderosa as he schemes to hijack a shipment of gold on behalf of Juarez’ struggle against Emperor Maximilian.

Written by: Denne Petitclerc, N. B. Stone, Jr.
Directed by: William Witney
Guest Stars:General Diaz...Will Kuluva Forsythe...Leo Gordon Johnny Sims...Lee Farr Molly Reed...Jena Engstrom Pablo...Paul Fierro Miguel...Rico Alaniz Bob Miles...(uncredited) Bill Clark...(uncredited)

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post:
Joe'sGal

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Re: Episode 110 - THE DEADLY ONES

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm

One of my favorite "Injured Joe" episodes. Especially the scene where Pa is comforting Joe when he got restless after the bullet was taken out. Still have to wonder, though. Ben and Joe were at home, Hop Sing was nowhere to be seen, and neither were Adam and Hoss. Where was everybody?
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:13 pm

There were some wonderful pa/Joe moments here. Pa was very caring towards Joe and then Joe was worried about his pa and went to the barn to find him. I guess Hop Sing went to town with Adam and Hoss for a few drinks at the saloon.

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 18
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6
Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017
Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111 100 Posts The Reading Club
The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016 Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016

View all badges

Post by Chenoa » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:49 pm

One of my favourite "Pa takes care of injured Joe" episodes too. It shows how much Joe cares for his Pa when he tries to stop him from leaving plus I think he does not want to be without him...
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

RootsAndFins
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Post by RootsAndFins » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:22 pm

littlejoenice wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:07 pm
Still have to wonder, though. Ben and Joe were at home, Hop Sing was nowhere to be seen, and neither were Adam and Hoss. Where was everybody?
Right near the beginning one of the bad guys says the hands are away on a cattle drive "except for the kid and his Father." I think we're supposed to assume that Hoss, Adam, and Hop Sing are away on the cattle drive too based on his statement.

I really liked parts of this episode, Ben taking care of Joe, the scene in the barn where Joe seems like he's barely understanding what's going on around him and is just trying to stay upright, the general idea of Joe being injured is great as usual.

But I didn't like how this episode handled its Characters of the Week. I think way too much focus was put on them, especially in an episode where Joe was hurt so bad. There's a chunk of the episode 20 minutes long that just focuses on the CotW and their problems, with a teeny tiny bit of Ben sprinkled in. In my opinion that is way too long to just focus in the CotW, doubly so since the rest of the episode isn't exactly balanced, and I didn't even like any them very much. If one of the main characters is hurt I'd like to spend most of our time with that character or the other family members that would be directly affected by it, not spend almost half the episode plus more dealing with random CotW problems.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm a Joe gal, but I don't want the Cartwrights being pushed out of their own show for some random CotW. And it's not like I hate CotW episodes, for example "The Pure Truth" is a great episode with the great CotW Lulabelle that I loved, but she is featured alongside Hoss instead of replacing him.

A good comparison is "The Deadly Ones" and "Second Chance" I think. Joe gets hurt in both of them, and they both have a large amount of CotW, but "Second Chance" distributes CotW and Cartwright scenes much better, and gives more scenes to the Cartwrights in the first place. The CotW problems happen along side the Cartwright problems, which I much prefer.

Overall, a few good Joe scenes and good Joe and Pa moments, but frustratingly unbalanced.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:49 am

I really liked the General Diaz character; he had some dignity, and I think he played well with Ben.

Leo Gordon was his usual effective villain. BTW, he was married to an actress named Lynn Cartwright. She played the older Geena Davis character in "A League Of Their Own".

I was not crazy about the Molly character; she was exhausting.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 4”