Episode 106 - THE WAY STATION

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Re: Episode 106 - THE WAY STATION

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Honestly, I like this episode a lot, even though I prefer those with all four Cartwrights. Capable acting from the secondary characters helps a lot, and Dawn Wells and Robert Vaughn are great!

That said, I find Marty alarmingly naive. It's one thing to want to see the world, it's another to be willing to take off with the first guy (*ahem* CRIMINAL) who is willing to take you. :duh Thank goodness Adam was there to protect her from her own foolishness! I can only say that she was one lucky young lady. :yes

I feel bad for Luke, as he did seem to be between a rock and a hard place, and he might possibly have been innocent. However, he only had himself and his weak, selfish character to thank for the trouble he was in at the end. It was his choice to threaten Marty and shoot Tim instead of trusting Adam's promise of a fair trial.

Also: if you had any doubts, this episode proves that Adam is one cool customer. I love the moment when Luke has a gun pulled on him and he just continues pouring the coffee because after all, where's the logic in depriving yourself of coffee just because someone's standing behind you with a gun pointed at your back? And he's such a logical boy. :grin I also love how he paves the way for Marty and her grandfather to understand each other. He knows when someone needs to hear hard truth (Jesse) and when someone needs to hear the truth with gentleness and understanding (Marty). However, she knows from the start that he means business and won't change his mind about helping her run away (you notice she nags Luke and she never even tries to ask Adam a second time).

Random observation: in the last scene, isn't Marty wearing the cloak that Elizabeth and Inger wore in the "My Love" episodes?
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 am

I think Marty was being very unrealistic. She thought that she could leave that place with the first man that took an interest in her, like her mother did.
I mean, I've never been out of my province, but that doesn't mean I'd want to run off with the first person that offered to take me.
Adam was right in stopping her.

I always enjoyed watching Robert Vaughn. He was a terrific actor (not to mention handsome). His character, Luke Martin, was not one to be pitied. It was one to feel shocked, and perhaps even contempt at. He took advantage, or rather tried to, of a girl who was practically living on fantasy dreams instead of looking at the hard truth of the matter. That a man like Luke Martin was not the type of person a girl should run away with, a hunted killer.

It doesn't surprise me that Adam kept his cool throughout the matter. Pleasant, polite, plain wonderful would probably be the best way to describe his nature in this episode. He didn't like to see anyone-- particularly a young girl-- being taken advantage of.
Sending Luke away was the best thing he could've done for Marty, to save her from a constant life on the run. It all started, as he implied, with her grandfather's way of running things. He didn't want her to be like her mother, so he kept her secluded.

I like the way Adam opens Marty's eyes to determine the difference between fantasies and reality. It's advice I, too, would listen to and heed.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

A4ever
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by A4ever » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:28 am

Loved this episode. Well performed. The storyline was excellent - for a change. As a young girl living in a stage station in 1860 she would see a number of people (ladies included) go by and of course would have talked to them about the places they were or went to. That would explain her wish to see the world (apart from what her mom did).
I loved how Adam managed the situation and he and Vaughan play well together. (They did remain friends beyond Bonanza) Loved them both. One of my favourite eps. :yes

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 am

I re-watched this episode last night, and couldn't help thinking what a dumb-dumb Marty was. Her actions were ridiculous, a child's fairy tale dreams.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Return to “Season 4”