Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Bonanza Season 4 Episodes
flabirder
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Talk Like A Pirate 2021 Stepping Into Character Tried and True BINGO Participant Summer 2021
BINGO Snail Summer 2021 1,000 Posts Pernell Roberts Birthday 2021 10th Anniversary Letter A
13th Anniversary Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020
BINGO Participant xmas 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 Convention On-Line 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 128 - MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Post by flabirder » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:15 pm

littlejulie wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:00 pm
I don't care for this ep in the slightest It has nearly as many plot holes as SPTW
The first one being where's LJ's green jacket? He's seldom without it and even wears his hat and jacket inside the house at times
Second Adam is on horseback, it's broad daylight and he shoots from a distance as did Joe riding up on the "wolf" To get a head or neck shot he would have been much closer to Joe and the "wolf on the ground"
Then when Dr Hickman arrives he basically does nothing except a cursory exam of LJ then writes a scip for some "medicine" that doesn't exist What the doctor would have done in another ep would be to cortorize the wound from the op and given LJ a shot of morphine to keep him quiet
The fever was extremely dangerous for LJ to endure so the first order of business would be to pack some towels with ice and put the towels on his head, under arms to get that fever down fast! ML used this in a scene from LH
And give him sips of ice water over several hrs
The scene were the three men from MT Pelier steal the "med"
is unbelievable because H wouldn't give up so easily whether he got coldcocked or not He wouldn't have come back without it
Then coming home just to tell Adam he didn't have it?
Then the scene where the three men come back demanding ransom for the "magic" elixor is nothing more than gratutious violence
Ben bursting thru the door shouting "Joe" and telling the Reardons to back away?
Why didn't Ben hear or see H in the bunkhouse? And why didn't Adam hear or see Ben riding up to the door He was expected after the telegram was sent
Saying goodbye with a song? Just plain silly
I don't get the Adam angst either H loves Joe as much as he does and isn't falling apart They are both in the same situation and the focus should always be on doing what can be done
Adam has both wealth and an education that only a small minority were privilaged with It seems that what he was given is overlooked for the sake of complaining about what he doesn't have
And I don't buy the tied to the Ponderosa for good or ill flies
As a rancher and business man Adam would travel all over the US
for whatever business he was taking care of
I don't believe this ep is a good indicator of character for any of them Adam was too close H was underused and Ben behaved very unlike himself
Joe's jacket was tied on the back of his saddle along with his bedroll. Adam's angst was because he shot his brother & could have killed him. He's wondering if maybe he should go back to Boston where people are more "civilized". How was Hoss supposed to get the medicine back from the 3 men? They took his gun so he had no way of defending himself against them. I don't know why Ben didn't see Hoss. It doesn't take that long to lock 2 men in the bunkhouse.
These users thanked the author flabirder for the post (total 2):
DrifterTahoe Lee
Is that all you can think of at a time like this, cake??? (Ben to Hoss in A Knight to Remember.)
Peasants! (Adam in A Knight to Remember.)
Anything to get rid of you. (Adam to Joe in Dead and Gone.)
:dg In loving memory of dougsgirl. You have left us for that great ranch in the sky but we will never forget you.

littlejulie
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 4
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

September Song 2021 Time For A Commercial Break 5 100 Posts September Song 2020

View all badges

Post by littlejulie » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:05 pm

I agree to disagree flabirder
Since the damage had already been done I would hope that Adam would do everything to concentrate on Joe's recovery that for me means the drama lies in the first critical 24 hrs of caring for Joe Adam and H taking turns on and off getting the fever down and then getting the "magic elixser" at all costs After the crisis has past in days Adam has time to catch up on what could have been if he'd been more attentive where Joe was chasing down the "wolf"
The ep wasn't written from that angle of stress during an emergency so I'll leave it at that
These users thanked the author littlejulie for the post:
TNTrue
fattitude

Partisan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Partisan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:50 pm

littlejulie wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:05 pm
I agree to disagree flabirder
Since the damage had already been done I would hope that Adam would do everything to concentrate on Joe's recovery that for me means the drama lies in the first critical 24 hrs of caring for Joe Adam and H taking turns on and off getting the fever down and then getting the "magic elixser" at all costs After the crisis has past in days Adam has time to catch up on what could have been if he'd been more attentive where Joe was chasing down the "wolf"
The ep wasn't written from that angle of stress during an emergency so I'll leave it at that
Doesn't that look like it really bit him?

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 04.46.24.png
Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 04.46.24.png (319.38 KiB) Viewed 187 times
"OH, YOU THREE HUNDRED POUND ROBIN!" Joe to Hoss - "The Ponderosa Birdman".

Comstock
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 5
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All the 4, but most Hoss, Adam

Talk Like A Pirate 2021 100 Posts Escape To Ponderosa September Song 2021
New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Comstock » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:33 am

Partisan wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:50 pm
Doesn't that look like it really bit him?
Yes, I does. I asked me, how did they act scenes like that? It looked like a wolf, but I guess it was a dog.
Joe and Adam to Hoss: Was she or wasn't she what?

daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 195
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Halloween Recipes 2021 Halloween Haiku 2021 Talk Like A Pirate 2021 David Canary Birthday 2021
Game Night 2021 Level 3 Game Night 14 Level 2 Game Night 2021 Level 1 Stepping Into Character
Tried and True Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO Winner Summer 2021
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021 Oscar Chat 2021 25,000 Posts St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 pm

It does look like a wolf but it could have been a dog. He must have been well trained. Good thing he wasn't hungry! :hide

Partisan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Partisan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:09 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 pm
It does look like a wolf but it could have been a dog. He must have been well trained. Good thing he wasn't hungry! :hide
Well, quite....! But whatever it was, that still I did shows that its teeth were definitely on the man's skin. (it probably wasn't Mike's arm)!
"OH, YOU THREE HUNDRED POUND ROBIN!" Joe to Hoss - "The Ponderosa Birdman".

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 10
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member
Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts
September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:16 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:34 pm
littlejoenice wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:19 pm
This episode is one of my many favorites, and there are certain parts I tend to watch more than others. I don't think I have to tell you what those parts are. You all probably watch the same. However, there was something I caught last night that I'm not sure if anybody else has caught. The scene where the Reardons pull up in front of the Ponderosa yard, and Hoss is helping Joe down, he says, "Come on, Mike." But then-- this is the part I really wanted to get to-- when Adam asks, "Where's Pa?" If you listen real close, you can hear somebody-- I think it's Mike-- saying, "He'll be here."

I had to roll that one piece back three or four times just to make sure I wasn't hearing things! :laughing
I've heard Hoss calling Joe Mike but now I'll have to watch this again just to hear this! :whistling
Oh, how funny, I just watched this part and I heard it 'he'll be here', never heard about that before! Nice catch! :thumbup

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 10
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

September Song 2021 Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member
Christmas 2020 Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts
September Song 2020 New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Partisan wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:09 pm
daisy60 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:10 pm
Well, quite....! But whatever it was, that still I did shows that its teeth were definitely on the man's skin. (it probably wasn't Mike's arm)!
This is Mike's arm though! But you can see there is a lovely big gap behind the front canines, so plenty of space to put your arm behind the teeth and not get bitten by them. :thumbup
1.JPG
1.JPG (36.08 KiB) Viewed 92 times

daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 195
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Halloween Recipes 2021 Halloween Haiku 2021 Talk Like A Pirate 2021 David Canary Birthday 2021
Game Night 2021 Level 3 Game Night 14 Level 2 Game Night 2021 Level 1 Stepping Into Character
Tried and True Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO Winner Summer 2021
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021 Oscar Chat 2021 25,000 Posts St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pm

Hmm. This was either a very, very well trained wolf or an artificial wolf with teeth. I wish someone on the set could tell us about that scene! :think :hide

flabirder
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Talk Like A Pirate 2021 Stepping Into Character Tried and True BINGO Participant Summer 2021
BINGO Snail Summer 2021 1,000 Posts Pernell Roberts Birthday 2021 10th Anniversary Letter A
13th Anniversary Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020
BINGO Participant xmas 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 Convention On-Line 2020

View all badges

Post by flabirder » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:33 pm

daisy60 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pm
Hmm. This was either a very, very well trained wolf or an artificial wolf with teeth. I wish someone on the set could tell us about that scene! :think :hide
This is what Ponderosa Scenery says about that scene.

When Adam accidentally shoots Joe and the wolf attacks him, Bob Miles doubles Joe in the long shots of the attack, where Mike does his close-ups with the trained animal on Stage 16.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the only fake animal they used in the series was the bear in El Torro Grande.
These users thanked the author flabirder for the post:
daisy60
Is that all you can think of at a time like this, cake??? (Ben to Hoss in A Knight to Remember.)
Peasants! (Adam in A Knight to Remember.)
Anything to get rid of you. (Adam to Joe in Dead and Gone.)
:dg In loving memory of dougsgirl. You have left us for that great ranch in the sky but we will never forget you.

Return to “Season 4”