Episode 96 - BLESSED ARE THEY

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 96 - BLESSED ARE THEY

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:20 am

Date: April 22, 1962

Summary: Ben is called in to make the peace when the feud between the Mahans and the Clarkes involves the custody of their recently orphaned grandchildren.

Written by: Borden Chase, Frank Cleaver
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Reverend...Robert Brown John Clarke...Ford Rainey Winifred Mahan...Irene Tedrow Tom Mahan...Walter Sande Mary Clarke...Amzie Strickland Peggy Clarke...Leslie Wales Judge...Robert Brubaker Deputy Clem...Robert Foulk Kenny...Rory O' Brien Susan...Tracy Stratford Reverend Jordan...Arthur Peterson Bob Miles...(uncredited extra) Bill Clark...(uncredited extra) Betty Endicott...(uncredited extra)

blessed are they.gif
blessed are they.gif (9.24 MiB) Viewed 1325 times

Slideshow courtesy of Tracy

TNTrue
Badges: 1

New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 96 - BLESSED ARE THEY

Post by TNTrue » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:07 pm

So many great moments! Loved Joe in his apron, and Joe and Hoss and the pig and how Adam just stays focused on his doll dress (there's a sentence you don't get many opportunities to write...), and Adam helping the little girl get dressed, and Joe, Hoss and Pa dealing with a ticklish boys' buttons, and Pa's bubble pipe. I was also surprised at how good the little actress was when she finally got an opportunity to act (where she's crying in the church).

Very different Robert Brown here, compared to his role in Here Come the Brides! Jason Bolt always looked like he was up to something; this guy was pretty saintly, and I believed it!

RootsAndFins
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Post by RootsAndFins » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:53 pm

A bit cheesy at times, but overall a good episode! I agree TNTrue, I loved both of the scenes where the Cartwrights are dealing with the kids at home. Adam was so sweet with the little girl, and I wonder if leaving the more rambunctious kid for Joe (and Hoss) to deal with was a little bit of revenge for the shenanigans he's gotten up to before lol.

Another great moment was after the Palm Sunday service when the 'pastor' was talking to Ben. He says something along the lines of Ben can't pass his problems off to the preacher, which I found pretty funny considering that's exactly what the residents of Virginia City were doing with Ben. It seems to me that they tend to do that a lot, asking Ben to fix their problems.
These users thanked the author RootsAndFins for the post:
TNTrue

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:19 am

I love this episode! I love Joe dressed in that apron saying 'I can't cook, clean and watch the kids all at the same time!' The guys all looked like they were having fun filming this and loved having the kids with them. What a fun episode! :very happy
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
TNTrue

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 am

The kids are adorable, and I liked Ben turning into "King Solomon". However, I don't like the spooky part of the plot; in fact, I think the episode would have been better without the Reverend character.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

TNTrue
Badges: 1

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by TNTrue » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:51 pm

ellen wrote:I don't like the spooky part of the plot; in fact, I think the episode would have been better without the Reverend character.
I would have liked it better if he were just the straight-up Reverend, instead of some mystical being. It undercuts Ben's efforts, and makes it seem as if maybe the two couples reconciled because of some outside influence, rather than because they recognized how out of line they were being.

I also thought it interesting the one man said (highly paraphrased) "A lot has happened and we're not best friends yet, but I'm willing to be open to friendship", rather than having everyone fall all over each other, "Oh, how could we have been so wrong" and completely ignoring the past. When two groups have a falling out like this, both outsiders and fringe insiders may blame one thing ("so and so stole a pig"), but the conflict usually has a longer history than that, and it's just the one event serves to line everyone up on the two sides. I'm guessing there was some rivalry between the older generation even before the parents of the twins married.

In a lot of ways I thought this episode better thought out than some of them, in terms of motivation and realistic situations, but then there's this angelic character in the middle to kind of muddle everything up. :shrug

Still like it.

Return to “Season 3”