Episode 93 - THE GAMBLE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 93 - THE GAMBLE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:16 am

Date: April 1, 1962

Summary: In the town of Alkalai, the Cartwrights are falsely accused of murder and robbery. After a sham of a trial, they are found guilty. Joe manages to escape in an attempt to save his family from the hangman's noose. NOTE: This is the first script that Michael Landon co-wrote for the series. Written by: Frank Cleaver and Michael Landon

Written by: Frank Cleaver and Michael Landon
Directed by: William Witney
Guest Stars:Sheriff Gains...Charles McGraw Stan Mace...Ben Johnson Arte...Robert Sampson Joyce...Jan Harrison Billy Tyler...Joey Walsh Judge Jackson...Raymond Greenleaf Harry...I. Stanford Jolley Deputy Clem...Robert Foulk Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double) Bill Clark...(uncredited extra) Brunette Townsgirl...Betty Endicott...(uncredited)

Slideshow courtesy of ansinico

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Re: Episode 93 - THE GAMBLE

Post by Sierra Girl » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:25 am

This episode was shown on the tellybox last night in the UK (followed by The Crucible - yey!) but I will admit that I find this the most frustrating episode to watch. It's got drama, it's got action, it's got an interesting plot but I struggle to enjoy it because of... and I don't like to say this... Pernell. Arrrghh... it's so frustrating. Now let me just say, straight off, I ADORE THE MAN but for some reason, he didn't seem to be 'in' this ep. He was physically in the episode, but mentally, he was a million miles away. At every opportunity he has his head down, or he faces away from the camera, or doesn't react. The scene in the courthouse when they've just been sentenced to hang, which I would imagine would generate a bit of angst on one's part, he literally doesn't move. He stays seated when everyone around him is jumping up and grabbing at each other.

I know they filmed The Crucible straight after this episode, so I wonder whether he was distracted by knowing what was to come.

I think because I'm an Adam's Gal through and through that I get so frustrated watching this ep. Cos you know what he CAN do. And if he had put a tinny bit of effort in this episode instead of just merely being present when they filmed it, it could have been a blindingly good show to watch. I would love to have known what was going on in his head when they were filming it. Just makes me sad.

I'm gong to duck now and hide behind my sofa. I just needed to get that off my chest. :hide

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:38 am

Don't duck, because as someone here on the board already pointed out: We are here not only because we adore Adam or Ben or Hoss or Joe, but also to discuss the episodes and movies. And the cap of the slideshow where he's sitting in the courtroom, literally lying in his chair with his "I'm bored/I don't like it" frown shows IMO that he had some disagreements with the directors during this episode. "Crucible" was a script written especially for him and he liked it, so he showed everything he was able to do as an actor.
His dislike of some scenes or whole scripts is getting more pronounced and visible in seasons 5 and 6, but it probably started in season 3 when he tried to cancel and buy out of his contract because he felt no challenge with Bonanza anymore.
Here is what he said in an interview in 1965 (the year he left):
“An actor’s tools are his emotions. If you have an inner conflict, you’re the most vulnerable person on the set. There you are with your face hanging out. Well, I was vulnerable. I was ashamed of what I was doing, ashamed of the series and the fact that I could do nothing about it. Ashamed, because the show lacks truth and it lacks reality. I’ve wanted out since the beginning of the third year when I realized that the series was not going, and never would go, in the direction in which it had been touted to me. I had seen, in the show, the possibility of developing four divergent personalities, each strong in his own right and able to sustain his own interest. We would all work to support each other, but each of us would have story focus of his own, in turn, and these very different characters would add tremendous scope, strength and depth to the stories. In the beginning, we were all subordinated to guest stars, a blow to all our egos, but the show took hold and we were assured that this would change. And it did. After that first year, we were all called in to renegotiate our contracts. We’d signed for five years, now we were to have increased salaries if we signed for six. I must admit, I gambled on an attitude that proved wrong. I felt the show wasn’t that good and couldn’t possibly last. I gave it at the most three years and I figured I could manage. So I blew it.”
These users thanked the author manulanee for the post:
Sierra Girl
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:56 am

I noticed Pernell didn't seem to like the episode, especially in the courtroom, trying to cover his face with his hat! It was Michael's first script. It was an ok script, he improved as a writer later on, but the cast had no available script ready so Michael wrote it over the week-end. I do like the episode, although not a favorite. It had potential.

ljlover2001
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 30
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joseph

100 Posts Episode Summary Cock & Bull So You Think You Know Bonanza
Fun with 1's Break the record Valentine's Day 2010 Valentine's Day 2011
Letters to Santa 2012 Meet and greet chat Meet and greet chat Stuffed in chat
Chat Badge Fun Lorne Greene's Birthday 2010 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2011 Lorne Greene's Birthday 2013

View all badges

Post by ljlover2001 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:41 am

I totally agree with you Adam gals about Pernell's lack of involvement in this episode.
I wondered if it might have been because they had expected to get some time off and then the 'kid', Mike, turned up with a script and suddenly they are all expected to be at work.
That scene in the court is awful. As if someone who was being tried for robbery and murder would just slouch down in his chair and pay no attention to what was going on around him; it spoils the scene and I think it is disrespectful to the rest of the cast not to give your best whenever you are on the screen.
For a first script I think Mike does a good job and I do like the scenes in the cell when Adam and Hoss talk about setting Joe up to beat all the men at arm wrestling.
Little Joe forever
Lynne

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 312

Forum Moderator Librarian Christmas Card Team Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Pernell gets a lot of flack for his acting in the courtroom scene. Perhaps Mike suggested it to PR based on how he (ML) envisioned Adam behaving once he figured out the family was being railroaded. Or perhaps the director told PR to act in the manner he did. We'll never know. But, interestingly enough, we see the same courtroom behavior again from Adam in Elegy for a Hangman.

Joe is definitely "Super-Joe" in this ep. He might as well put in a cape and fly. :lol

I love the jail scene between Adam and Hoss, where they talk of their little brother. It's one of those moments where we learn a lot about the relationship between Adam, Hoss, and Joe.
These users thanked the author patina for the post (total 2):
SharryPJudith
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

snapdragon
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Ben

Post by snapdragon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Sadly, I must agree that PR was a real Debbie Downer in this episode: tuned-out and turned-off. I remember reading somewhere that PR's misery could bring the entire set down with him. I wonder if that's what happened here?

Props to ML for winging a script over the weekend. His writing definitely improved over the years, but you've gotta start somewhere!

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 63

December Delectables Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:31 pm

patina wrote:I love the jail scene between Adam and Hoss, where they talk of their little brother. It's one of those moments where we learn a lot about the relationship between Adam, Hoss, and Joe.
Interesting, too, from the standpoint of knowing Michael wrote the dialogue. :yes

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:25 pm

This is one where I don't understand the title.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 312

Forum Moderator Librarian Christmas Card Team Michael Landon Birthday 2019
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by patina » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:40 pm

Maybe it's because Joe decided to bust out of jail to get help, knowing his father's and brothers' lives were on the line. :shrug
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

Return to “Season 3”