Episode 87 - GIFT OF WATER

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 87 - GIFT OF WATER

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 am

Date: February 11, 1962

Summary: The entire Cartwright family band together to help a drought stricken family. They dig a well, build a windmill and reach water – and at the same time ward off a vigilante group who are afraid of families migrating, looking for water.

Written by: Borden Chase
Directed by: Jesse Hibbs
Guest Stars: Jason Ganther...Royal Dano Mrs. Ganther...Majel Barret Lindy Ganther...Pam Smith Bill Collins...James Doohan Mrs. Collins...Kay Stewart Roy Coffee...Ray Teal Luther Kent...Paul Birch Collin's Daughter...Betty Endicott...(uncredited)

Slideshow courtesy of Freya

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 364
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Springtime 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Snail Valentine's Day

View all badges

Re: Episode 87 - GIFT OF WATER

Post by January » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:50 pm

In The Gift of Water, why on earth was Jason Ganther so absolutely certain that if he kept digging his well he would hit water? His neighbors didn't believe it and they were all leaving their homes. His wife only believed it because she believed in him, and so did his daughter. The Cartwright's didn't believe him ... at first. Then, somehow, he convinced each Cartwright as they came along and they got to work helping him. Of course that's what the Cartwright's do best; they help people. But they also seem to really believe as time went by. How did all of that come about? Tell us.
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 pm

I actually have no idea how each of the Cartwright men came to have the belief they'd find water. I do know this episode was memorable for me and all of the brothers - especially Adam.

Isn't there some psychological connection between water and eroticism of your choice, i.e. Cartwright men? I could drown in the possibilities. :ha :shrug

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:03 am

I love the way that all of the Cartwrights step in to help their neighbors. They worked well together. It shows how precious water can be and it gives a message about caring and sharing what you have with each other. Of course my favorite scene is when Hoss tosses Joe! Brothers-gotta love 'em!

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 176
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:39 am

I've often wondered why Jason Ganther kept thinking he was going to find water even when the regular well didn't work and the artesian well didn't work either. Maybe he thought he was destined to keep his land (through some kind of fate or providence?), and if he was destined to keep the land, there must be water on it. :shrug Or maybe he wanted to find water so badly he that he convinced himself there was water. I remember him talking about how whenever that area got rain, the rain had to go somewhere...so it must be underground!

I think the Cartwrights joined him for a couple reasons. One was that Jason was so determined to find water that he was going to try to do all the work himself even if he didn't have any help. They couldn't stand to see him working himself to death without anyone helping him. The other reason was that each of the Cartwrights had a good idea that they thought might help find water...Hoss thought of the auger, Adam the pipe, Joe the mule-powered apparatus, and Ben the windmill. With the addition of each new thing, the Cartwrights thought they had a better chance of reaching water underground. But I don't think they believed in the water as firmly as Jason did. A few times, the Cartwrights were ready to give up until Jason said he would go on without them. Then, of course, they started again because they didn't want to abandon Jason.
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
chezza
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 126
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Springtime 2019
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO Snail Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:57 am

Sometimes the BZ episodes seemed to be like metaphors, stories meant to prompt critical thinking, Aesop's fables or parables. They seem to be written more to convey a situation, an idea, or an important lesson than to reflect a possible event. This episode strikes me as one of those. The situation with the dry well would have been understandable to Ben, because he headed west without any guarantee that he would find what he was looking for. A well might have looked like a small enterprise compared to that. and of course, his sons were raised with the story of following your intuition, your dreams, etc. It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch to extend this to a man who was determined to find water.
These users thanked the author elizabeth for the post:
Sharry
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:01 am

I rather enjoyed this episode, mainly because I liked Royal Dano. As for that well, I've heard it said that if you dig far enough, you'll hit water. I guess that's what Jason Ganther had in mind when he began digging his well.
The Cartwrights' attitude was nothing but normal. When in doubt, call the Cartwrights for help! :laughing
They worked together not only as a team, but as a family helping another family.

I think my favorite thing about this episode is how Lindy Ganther fell in love with Hoss and Adam the first time she laid eyes on them. She tried using her charm and knowledge on Little Joe, even going so far as to dress up like a real nice lady just so he would notice her. But, Joe was so busy with everything else, he not only ignored her, but he also thought to be an annoying nuisance. (Though he never said it aloud, it was his actions that implied it.) I don't think Joe was being fair to Lindy just because she was younger and a girl.

All in all, an enjoyable episode, but even so, I bet you all are still going to be wondering about that well! :rotfl
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:49 pm

littlejoenice wrote:I think my favorite thing about this episode is how Lindy Ganther fell in love with Hoss and Adam the first time she laid eyes on them. She tried using her charm and knowledge on Little Joe, even going so far as to dress up like a real nice lady just so he would notice her. But, Joe was so busy with everything else, he not only ignored her, but he also thought to be an annoying nuisance.(Though he never said it aloud, it was his actions that implied it.) I don't think Joe was being fair to Lindy just because she was younger and a girl.
That was probably my favorite thing about the episode, too. But I kinda have the impression that the different relationships the brothers had with Lindy were really based on age and position. Adam was the oldest, and the one that had two younger siblings. He knew how to treat young kids, and went along with Lindy's crush a little, making her feel more grown up, while also treating her like I think he would a little sister.
Hoss, who had one younger sibling, interacted with her like he usually does with all kids; sweetly and kindly, as though she were either a little sister or a niece.
Joe, (who's the baby of the family with no siblings!), treats her like a nuisance particularly because he never had a younger sibling like Adam and Hoss did. He never had the practice with the tact and kindness in that scenario, so he thought of her as a little pest instead. (like older siblings sometimes do of younger ones. :laughing )
And if I remember correctly, he actually did call her a nuisance. :yes

There is one little blooper I noticed in this episode. When Adam first rides into the Ganther place, Hoss is working on something, and when he sees Adam coming, he hollers to Lindy, but accidentally calls her "Pam". The actress who played Lindy was named Pam Smith. :oops
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Post by showdown » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:47 am

I like this episode because every Cartwright has his special task.
Why they help Ganther? There is nothing else than do that. They have two possibilities: Faced with the choice either to let the family die from thirst or to help them the Cartwrights decide for the latter. And so at least they DO something.

cap by Sandy
Adam is looking for a solution to the problems of the farmers.

Yeah, we can see some as a metaphor - here a subject for refugees. The ranchers and farmers who still have water, get fearful for their wealth. (E.g. in Europe there is a big problem regarding the Syria-Conflict). We are building walls and fences.
Ben shows moral courage. He can afford to be a man true to his principles - because he is rich and has great support from his sons.

They all are sweating so nice.
Nice to meet Scotty from the Enterprise in the Wild West!
Great to see the interaction between the brothers while helping the family! Always ready to have fun.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:18 am

I don't really care that much for the episode but what I find interesting is that this is the only episode (to my memory, which is not always that reliable in cases like this!) in which Adam addresses his father as "Sir." Hoss does it all the time and so does Joe but not Adam. In the episode, Ben jumps all over Adam after Adam states that they'll just bring in more water (or some other simple solution.) Then Adam says, "Sorry, sir." It seems to shock Ben a bit and makes Ben then rethink how he overreacted and he apologizes to Adam. Also, Adam fibs; he says he got the idea while cleaning his gun/rifle but it was Joe cleaning his gun that provided Adam's inspiration.

I also like the snide little red wagon comment. I always think of a Radio Flyer wagon. :grin
wagon.jpeg
Radio Flyer
wagon.jpeg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Return to “Season 3”