Episode 86 - THE AULD SOD

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Re: Episode 86 - THE AULD SOD

Post by elizabeth » Thu May 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Does seem like an episode to showcase some fine actors. Comedy requires a lot of suspension of disbelief.
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Tue May 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Okay, so this episode isn't the writers' finest hour. :grin However, it does show the Cartwrights at their most tender-hearted. Hoss, the old softie, starts it, and they fall like dominoes. I love watching Ben hold out as long as possible, protesting the ridiculousness of the situation, and seeing him cave at last to pressure from all three boys and the poignancy of Nellie's love for her shiftless son.
That adorable, brave little lady...and the match-burning scene...and the boys' faces when Danny pours Pa's brandy round...it's silly but it's *so* charming.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Tue May 30, 2017 5:55 pm

I enjoy watching this episode. I love Nellie Lynch's character, and I like how the Cartwrights all want to help her when they find out she came all the way from Ireland to see her son only to find out he'd been lying to her in his letters. I don't think pretending Danny owned the Ponderosa was the right thing to do, but I do understand why the Cartwrights did it: they couldn't bear the idea of Mrs. Lynch being horribly disappointed in her son, especially after she had saved Hoss's life. (As it turned out, she knew the truth from the moment she saw Danny.)

I love the scene where Joe discovers someone is sleeping in his bed! :laughing

There are some elements in the episode that I find hard to believe. The main one is (as has been said previously in this thread) that Mrs. Lynch came all the way from Ireland just to make a short visit to her son in Nevada. In my opinion, it would be most likely that a woman her age wouldn't cross the Atlantic at all. If she did come over to America she would almost certainly stay there. The trip would be far too long, difficult, and dangerous for her to do anything else.

If I were Nellie, trying to get Hoss out of the well, I would tie a rope to something solid and throw an end down into the well so he could climb up.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

emilysean
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 63
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: adam

Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day Without A Trace 7
BINGO Gutterball Games Edition Guess The Guest Star Anniversary Don't Blink Step Up To 2018
Christmas 2017 Ponderosa Nightmares IV Oktoberfest 2017 Time For A Commercial Break 3
Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes Fan Fiction Weekend April 2017

View all badges

Post by emilysean » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:39 pm

I always have a hard time watching this episode. I saw James Dunn in several of his more popular movie roles before seeing him in Bonanza. And knowing some of the personal difficulties he went through makes this performance all the more real.

janet0312
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 4
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by janet0312 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am

Hard to imagine the Lord of the Ponderosa letting the house go like that.

Finally got a peak into Joe's room. The first thing that came to mind was that he should have his high school pennant tacked up on the wall. Ponderosa High - go team - yay! And maybe a copy of Keen Teen Magazine on his pillow.
Help! I've been Adamized! Oh, no! I've been Lorne Greened too!

Return to “Season 3”