Episode 84 - THE RIDE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 84 - THE RIDE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:53 am

Date: January 21, 1962

Summary: While waiting for the stagecoach at a way station, Adam witnesses the murder of the station manager by two men wearing burlap sacks over their heads. Adam identifies the man who shot Toby Barker as Bill Enders. But, since Adam never really saw the shooter’s face, he has a hard time convincing anyone of Enders’ guilt, especially since Enders has an iron-clad alibi.

Written by: Ward Hawkins
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Bill Enders...Jan Merlin Mary Enders...Grace Gaynor Toby Barker...Chubby Johnson Roy Coffee...Ray Teal Arch...Hal Baylor Sammy...Bob Harris Bartender...Cosmo Sardo...(uncredited) Bob Miles...(extra) Alex Sharp...(uncredited; stunt double for Hal Baylor) Bill Clark...(uncredited stunt double)

Slideshow images courtesy of Gillie

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 135
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8
Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day

View all badges

Re: Episode 84 - THE RIDE

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm reading the summary for this episode on the my DVD set, and as you probably know, it was Mr. Klyde who did the episodic texts. Anyway, I just felt it would be funny to point that Mr. Klyde himself made a mistake. In it, he states that the station manager is killed, but that Adam suspects his friend, Toby Enders of being the killer! If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Toby the station manager, and Bill Enders Adam's business partner? :laughing
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 173
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 2 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:53 pm

I believe you're right! Toby Barker is the station manager whom Bill Enders kills.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm

People get names mixed up all the time!

The actress who played Bill Ender's wife Mary, Grace Gaynor, had a small role in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. I saw that film on TV a while ago and I was amazed at how much younger she looked in modern clothes with a modern hair style. NOT that she looked old in the BZ episode. It's just that those styles of hair and clothes made women look matronly.

I likes that episode a lot, mainly because it was an Adam episode! But I admit that I found it just "a bit" farfetched that Adam could identitfy a friend when his head was covered and Adam's back was mostly turned to the wall!

I can understand how you could know a person by their body and mannerisms if you didn't see their face. But really, WHAT did Bill Enders do that gave him away? And why would Adam immediately suspect his FRIEND? I think there was something more in his history with Bill Enders that would cause him to suspect a friend so quickly.

Did Bill have financial troubles which he confided to Adam? Or were they playing poker and Bill casually made some mention about money problems? Adam was very astute and he could pick up on things right away. I do think there was something in the back of his mind that had him worrying about his friend Bill Enders BEFORE this robbery happened.

I know that Adam was smart but I doubt if he really could identify Bill from his "body type" during the robbery. I think there was soemthing else in the back of Adam's mind to suspect him.

By legal standards, I don't think the law would have gone after Bill. If he had played it calm and cool, e.g., not confronting Adam or having his wife seduce him, then Adam would've been hard pressed to prove his guilt. So what if Adam could make "the ride" in record time, it didn't prove that Bill DID the same thing! Bill acted guilty and gave himself away, I think.

Just playing devil's advocate here. It was an interesting episode. Adam was right. But he was simply lucky (and stubborn) in proving Bill Ender's guilt. If it was an episode of NYPD Blue and Bill "lawyered up", he would've gotten away with it. :mad

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 63

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Don't Blink
BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019
Out Of The Blue 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:21 pm

I too have wondered about how Adam could be so sure that that it was Bill Enders who shot Toby. There must have been something that he recognized almost subconsciously. In any case, he was sure in his own mind and he wasn't going to let anyone else dissuade him. Adam's determination to stand by his convictions no matter what others say is one of his most admirable characteristics...and a big reason why I love this episode so much.

debpet2 :adam
Last edited by debpet2 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:43 pm

I wish they'd made the episode in such a way that Adam is pretty sure it's Bill, but can't say exactly why. Then, he has to wrack his brain for the reason, finally revealing it in the end. That might have added a little more suspense to this already suspense filled episode.
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 173
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 2 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Cartwright fan. wrote:I wish they'd made the episode in such a way that Adam is pretty sure it's Bill, but can't say exactly why. Then, he has to wrack his brain for the reason, finally revealing it in the end. That might have added a little more suspense to this already suspense filled episode.
I agree! I kept hoping for some concrete reason Adam knew it was Bill.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:24 pm

This is another that could have been a two part episode. I am in agreement that the writers should have expanded on Adam's suspicion that it was Bill Enders who committed the terrible crime. Mary's attempt at seduction was rushed and might have worked better had it been spread out over a longer episode. Other than making it longer, I do enjoy watching those Cartwrights solve the crime.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 135
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8
Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:10 pm

I love all the comments. It gives an air of mystery to this mystery, something to think on. Why don't you all do a collaboration, and write another piece to it? I suggest collaboration because they are so many great ideas here.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:26 pm

PJudith wrote: By legal standards, I don't think the law would have gone after Bill. If he had played it calm and cool, e.g., not confronting Adam or having his wife seduce him, then Adam would've been hard pressed to prove his guilt. So what if Adam could make "the ride" in record time, it didn't prove that Bill DID the same thing! Bill acted guilty and gave himself away, I think.

Just playing devil's advocate here. It was an interesting episode. Adam was right. But he was simply lucky (and stubborn) in proving Bill Ender's guilt. If it was an episode of NYPD Blue and Bill "lawyered up", he would've gotten away with it. :mad
I so agree with this. Adam didn't prove anything other than it was possible to make the ride in that amount of time. So at that point, it was basically Adam's word ("I saw him and recognized him even with that ridiculous bag on his head") against Enders' ("Nope wasn't me."). I think a good lawyer would have been able to show "reasonable doubt."

Enders did all that planning - having a 2nd horse ready, making sure someone saw him and talked to him - so it seems odd that he would have panicked like that. But I guess having Adam Cartwright against you is a scary thing!

I do love the ride itself - very exciting!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 3”