Episode 83 - THE LADY FROM BALTIMORE

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 83 - THE LADY FROM BALTIMORE

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:28 am

Date:January 14, 1962

Summary: Joe falls helplessly in love with Melinda Banning, daughter of a scheming woman wants her daughter to marry a Cartwright…any Cartwright. She manipulates the situation by forcing her daughter to use her feminine charms to win Joe’s affection, thinking he is young and easily influenced. The intricacy of the plot manifests itself in the fact that Melinda loves Adam but Joe loves Melinda. Adam realizes what’s going on after Melinda comes on to him. The arrival of Horace Banning, Melinda’s father, complicates the matter further.

Written by: Elliott Arnold
Directed by: John Peyser
Guest Stars: Deborah Banning...Mercedes McCambridge Melinda Banning...Audry Dalton Horace Banning...Hayden Rorke Hop Sing...Victor Sen Yung Coachman...Robert Adler Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double) Bill Clark...(uncredited extra)

the lady from baltimore.gif
the lady from baltimore.gif (14.8 MiB) Viewed 1776 times

Slideshow courtesy of Adamant

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 52
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Re: Episode 83 - THE LADY FROM BALTIMORE

Post by Julianna » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Has no one in this group seen this episode? I would think Adam girls would watch this several times as I have. Melinda really likes Adam and it sure does show in several scenes. But Adam runs away because he doesn't want to cause a problem when he realizes how Melinda feels and I think how he feels. He says not in the dialog but watch Pernell's superb acting skills, his face says there could be something there, if not for Joe. I recently bought the DVD and enjoyed listening to Audry Dalton's commentary. She does prove through her comments that I may be correct.

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 am

Oh yes, this has always been one of my favorite episodes. I think Adam may have developed a bit of an attraction to Melinda. But her behavior put him off. She was all flirty with Little Joe and then turned around and moved in on Adam.

He could tell right away that something was not right. I think he sensed some dishonesty in her and if there's one thing Adam values, it's honesty. Of course he didn't mind a kiss from her. :yes He didn't exactly jump back. But he seemed to regret it right away.

Once again we see "Joe in love with love". It was hard to believe when he said that he loved her "more than anything in the world." What, after three days?

Sometimes I wish Ben had taken him aside and said ,"Look, Joe, nothing would make me happier than to see you settled down and happily married to a woman you love. But in all honesty, you're a flake." :laughing

This episode also proved that Melinda was indeed one of the clumsiest women ever. She managed to get her skirt caught on barbed wire when the stuff wasn't even invented yet! There were patents on it but they didn't start using it until about 1875 .. Just one of those historical inaccuracies.

There's also a tiny mistake which I never noticed before. I forget where I read it. But when Melinda is emerging from her bath and her mother gives her a robe, you can catch a brief glimpse of the bathing suit the actress is wearing reflected in the mirror.

I also wondered where Deborah and Melinda got those lavish gowns and jewels if they were so dirt poor

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 141
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:59 am

I never thought to look closely at Melinda when she's bathing. However, if that was Joe! I didn't like Melinda or her meddling mother at all. Michael always fell in love because that's what the script writer and directors would say to do. It was Michael who changed A Stillness Within to an older teacher for the blind instead of a younger lady that he falls in love with. Michael was tired of always falling in love with everything in a skirt [not that I blame them!]

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 66

BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019 BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day
BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:33 am

I actually feel somewhat sorry for Melinda, being under the thumb of such a manipulative mother. Can't blame her for being attracted to Adam, and she does come clean in the end. Now her mother is something else altogether. Money is all she thinks about, and in the end she doesn't seem at all sorry for the way she tried to use the Cartwrights to secure it.

debpet2 :adam

Julianna
Drover
Drover

BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:36 pm

Once again we see "Joe in love with love". It was hard to believe when he said that he loved her "more than anything in the world." What, after three days?

Yes you are so right on with this statement. And the writers use the same exact words for him each time he falls in lust! I felt so sorry for Melinda because she did what Mother wanted but was very attracted to Adam and things could have been different if Mother had listened to her.My husband said no because Adam couldn't be manipulated. Anyway, I did enjoy Audry Dalton's commentary on this episode.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 139
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West
Ponderosa Prospects BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 8

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:40 pm

I never really cared for this episode. However, I did like the part where Adam told his father, "She's marrying Joe, but she kissed me." And then his solution is to just disappear out of sight for a while. What good would that do? He would just have to face the problem when he came home, providing of course, that Joe hadn't already married Melinda. Then there'd really be trouble, because I have a feeling that she still would've wanted Adam.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Julianna
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:21 am

littlejoenice wrote:"She's marrying Joe, but she kissed me." And then his solution is to just disappear out of sight for a while. What good would that do? He would just have to face the problem when he came home, providing of course, that Joe hadn't already married Melinda. Then there'd really be trouble, because I have a feeling that she still would've wanted Adam.
You are so correct. Audry Dalton(Melinda) says in her commentary that she may have agreed to marry Joe to be close to Adam. Also as Adam is telling his father he doesn't have any feelings for Melinda, he may be trying to convince himself. I find it interesting that, that kiss lasts a good amount of time for it not to be reciprocal. Also anytime Adam is somewhat uncomfortable in a situation he scratches the back or side of his neck. He does so here when talking to Pa.

JDGal1987
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 6
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Valentine's Day 2017 100 Posts BOOMers BOOMbox Lorne Greene Birthday 2017
PODs Stepping Up 2017

View all badges

Post by JDGal1987 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:20 pm

This episode seemed to be a little too risqué for Bonanza, in my opnion. With Melinda getting out of the bathtub and then changing into a nightgown. This is by far one of my least liked videos. Everything seemed a little farfetched and didn't seem to follow the character traits - except Joe falling hopelessly in love quickly.
“You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.”
– James Froude

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:28 pm

I watched this episode when it was on today, and had a couple things that piqued my interest.

First, I saw a blooper. When Ben's walking over to the door to go see Horace, he has an off-white shirt on. He opens the door, and, POOF!! He now has on the dark blue shirt that belongs in the episode. For some cockeyed reason, they thought it'd be easiest to take old footage that didn't even match the current episode, and shove it in there as opposed to filming a new shot that would match.

Second, a comment Adam made jumped out at me. It's where he's talking to Ben about going away for a while, and asks, "Mind if I take Hoss with me?" He asks it with the same manner he'd ask, 'can I bring the dog with me?', with. And Ben just saying sure, well, it certainly amused me!!! :ha
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

Return to “Season 3”