Episode 82 - THE TALL STRANGER

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Re: Episode 82 - THE TALL STRANGER

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Julianna wrote:
Cartwright fan. wrote:One thing I'd like to know: what "beating"? If you watch the episode again, you'll see that Hoss hits him ONCE. He draws back to hit him again, but the one blow is all Connors receives. I don't doubt that Hoss hurt him, but I really don't think you can say he, beat him. :no
just what constitutes a beating? 2, 3 4 hits? or is it the severity? What does everyone think? In The Magnificent Adah John Regan only hits Joe a few times( not sure if 3 or 4)and he almost kills him. :shrug
IMO, it has to do with both. For Hoss, he can hit a man once and hurt him as bad as Joe could if he hit him multiple times. But, he really didn't hurt Connors that bad, as you can see he's not dead, not knocked out, not even bleeding. He probably had a concussion, but that's not what I'd call a, "beating".(Seriously, those guys get hit over the head by axe handles, gun butts and rifle barrels. One hit from Hoss just ain't gonna do that much damage. :no )

And as far as Joe and Regan, we really don't know how many times Regan hit him. We only see a few hits, but he does take him into an alley and we fade out, so there's no real way to tell how many times he actually punched him.
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Post by showdown » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:40 am

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote:[... and though I don't condone beating people up, that fellow certainly deserved a beating!
So true!
Thanks, Jan, for the question of comparison between these three girlies. Honestly, I had no idea that Kathie-Darling played three different characters! :duh (Since I saw the mentioned episodes just for one time.) Poor Margie, she lived in a dream that a man would come and take her with him around the world. Who can blame her for? I don´t like the opening scene with the kiss, it´s too naïve and … ridiculous, sorry. Maybe Margie was too young to value Hoss. If she were more adult, had more experience how the world works, I think they could have been a good couple. But what a bitter ending. In those days women had mostly not a second chance to put mistakes right.
The scene when Hoss is leaning against the rock near the lake we know it from “The Storm”, it is the same setting.

Image by me Image by Gillie

And Laura Dayton … well I am an Adam-gal, no one can expect that I like her. :no

SJRCartwright
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2

Escape To Ponderosa New Member Post

View all badges

Post by SJRCartwright » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:07 am

Hoss never seems to get the girl. Sometimes, as in this episode, it is a good thing. Everyone has dreams - as the woman in this episode did. She tried to follow her dreams - but not all dreams come true nor have happy endings. Hoss, too, was following one of his dreams - to be loved (a dream many of us have). When Hoss loves, he loves with his whole heart (remember the episode She Walks In Beauty). And when he hurts, he hurts with his whole heart. While he is normally gentle, he was just pushed to hard by his own hurt. We all have our breaking points. A bit of a different episode for Hoss, but, then, the occasional view of a different side of a person is always interesting. Not always settling, but don't we all have unique sides of our personalities? Still, being a romantic myself, I always wanted one of the Cartwrights to have a happy ending!

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Julianna wrote:
Cartwright fan. wrote:One thing I'd like to know: what "beating"? If you watch the episode again, you'll see that Hoss hits him ONCE. He draws back to hit him again, but the one blow is all Connors receives. I don't doubt that Hoss hurt him, but I really don't think you can say he, beat him. :no
I'd have to say it's a combination of what the fight's about and how effective the beating is. A trained fighter can kill a person, and wouldn't have to spend a lot of time or land a ton of punches to do it. But these aren't that kind of fights, it seems to me.

Do we know if Hoss has ever been taught to box (going by what we see him do, it looks like no, he's a scrapper / brawler, not a scientific fighter)? With the size and strength he has -- if he'd been taught such skills, he'd be a very dangerous man indeed (not that he can't more than hold his own as-is). If I'd been standing in Hoss's boots, I'd've done my dead-level best to knock Connors into the middle of next week, if not knock that blockhead of Connors' clean off his shoulders, because that's what Connors has coming. But Hoss isn't in this to dish out a vicious, systematic beatdown -- he's teaching a lesson to Connors, and it seems Hoss felt one punch did enough -- this time. It's actually something of a measured response, or he'd've thrown that second punch, at the very least. :think

We know all the Cartwright men are perfectly capable, if that's the only way out, of killing someone (especially somebody who desperately needs killing, but those are all separate and other stories). I don't think a one of them takes it casually when that is the only way out. (Well, maybe Will, and that might be why one of the big reasons I'm okay with him not taking over when Adam left). Given where / when / how they live and what has been tried on / done to them, though ... I don't consider them cold-blooded, murderous, or otherwise 'evil'.

Dangerous? You bet. But they had to be, because otherwise they'd, to misquote Joe, have died of a real bad case of unfit.

I can't remember ever seeing Hoss hit Joe more than once, although the opposite is not true. :joe

I think he knows exactly how much force he can use, whenever the time comes to use that force. Maybe the one time that doesn't apply is when Hoss goes after Adam over Ragan -- and Adam not only doesn't fight back, it looks like he's taking that beating because that's him still trying to get a message to his brother. :adam

That was a whuppin', too, don't ever think it wasn't. I don't think Adam's not defending himself because he thinks he deserves it. I think he's taking that whupping because he thinks Hoss needs to dole it out, and he's absolutely certain he's the safest target his brother will ever find. Yes, Hoss is acting out of pain and rage -- but you'll notice he doesn't systematically beat his brother into unconsciousness, or deliberately go for broken ribs, a fractured jaw, or ruptured kidneys (not that that's much comfort to Adam at the time). :hoss
just what constitutes a beating? 2, 3 4 hits? or is it the severity? What does everyone think? In The Magnificent Adah John Regan only hits Joe a few times( not sure if 3 or 4)and he almost kills him. :shrug
Yes, John Regan nearly beat Joe to death -- but again, there's a disparity in the size and skill of the men in the fight to consider. The actor in that part was six-foot-six, and built in proportion -- there's a photo of him standing next to Fess Parker (Davy Crockett/Daniel Boone) here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0576353/medi ... m152973824 that gives you an idea of his size. He'd've had a hard time NOT killing Joe if he landed four or five boxing punches, and the script calls him a washed-up heavyweight fighter (not the same thing as retired), so he'd've come into the fight with the plan of being the last man standing.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post (total 2):
ellenPlatoofthePonderosa
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 146
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am

I enjoyed this episode up to a point. The beginning was excellent, where Hoss casually tells Joe that he's going to marry Margie and then he goes into the house, dragging poor Hoss along with him. Once there, he practically screams the news that neither Ben or Adam take seriously. Then, when Ben finally realizes that at least one of his sons is about to get married, he becomes overjoyed and excited. The next minute, the three of them are planning a house for the happy couple when Hoss isn't even sure that they will be a happy couple.
One of my favorite scenes is where they're at the table and discussing window panes, and Ben looks at Hoss and says, "But we do think you're being lazy, shiftless, selfish, and downright cowardly about the matter."
To which Hoss replies, "I'm lazy, shiftless, selfish, and a dirty coward. And on top of all that, I'm scared, Pa."
Ben mentions a party and tells Hoss he has ten days to fulfill his part and ask Margie. Hoss, being just who he is, asks, "What if I'm still scared, Pa?"
"Then I'll ask her," Ben says.
"Pa, I don't think she'd marry you!"
Undoubtedly, one of the best scenes in the movie.

Margie was, as she put it later on in the film, a very foolish girl. She wanted the world when Hoss could've offered her so much more. Why, I think if he really loved a girl, as he did Margie, he would place the whole world in her hands. I think any girl would be so happy and confused that she wouldn't know what to do with it. Margie saw what Hoss had to offer, and knew it was much more than anybody had ever offered to her before. But then Connors shows up, a world traveler, and turns her head in a different direction. Right when she would've said yes to Hoss, Connors comes along and influences her decision, not to mention the gentle pushing she must've received from her father.

Hoss went off into the hills after Margie's engagement announcement, and I think that's exactly what he needed to do. After being hurt that way by someone he'd known probably since they were children, he needed some time away from it all to get himself together and accept the fact that his ex-fiancee was marrying someone else. Time alone was just the right cure.

As to what Hoss did to Connors after discovering how he'd treated Margie, I don't think he really meant to hurt him. In his anger, he lashed out at him, yes, but he wasn't the kind of person to intentionally want to bring harm to another. He was just upset with what had happened to Margie. And then for Connors to speak of the baby as if she were kind of bargain-making deal, it was just too much for Hoss to take anymore.

The ending where Hoss released June Bug back into the wild life she'd known was very sweet, and the thought of him raising a colt for Margie's baby was wonderful.
So did I like this episode? Yes, until the part where Margie passed away. Of course, I should've known it was coming. Almost any girl who associated with a Cartwright wound up dead at one point or another.

Only one thing disappointed me: that they never showed Margie's baby.
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

AmberSkye
Badges: 4
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

FanFic Writer Badge Words Words Words Readin', Writin' ... New Member Post

View all badges

Post by AmberSkye » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:00 am

I remember internally screaming at Margie, "HOW CAN YOU NOT WANT HOSS?" And then internally screaming at Hoss, "HOW CAN YOU WANT MARGIE?" Of course, I've found myself screaming that at one Cartwright or another on multiple occasions. (Tirza? Really, Joe?)
It's always a point of pain for me to watch Hoss open up that big, beautiful heart of his to a girl and then have that girl reject or take advantage of his love (She Walks in Beauty, The Courtship, To Bloom for Thee, the Rival, and of course The Tall Stranger--holy crap, Mr. Dotort, you sick animal...)
As for the beating of Connors--I think it was just punishment. As I recall he was threatening Margie and her baby. Back then you couldn't legally take a child from the father just because he was abusive. Hoss did the only thing he could do to make sure Margie's baby would be raised in a loving home. And, personally, I think in this case Hoss did intend to hurt Connors--and I do not fault him for that.
The ending of this episode was very depressing, but also realistic, to me. You can't always have a happy ending--but I don't think marrying Margie would have turned out well for him, anyway. She didn't care for him as he did her, that was obvious--and Hoss deserves absolute, unconditional love and devotion. (Hear that, Mr. Dotort? You beast!)
These users thanked the author AmberSkye for the post:
Cartwright fan.
"Nothing is worse than being alone on the evening of the day when one's cow has exploded."
--Odd Thomas, by Dean Koontz

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:20 am

The past week I have been sick with the flu, so i watched several episodes of Bonanza. I did watch this episode again. I found a treasure of stock footage that was from season 3 and earlier seasons that was shown to indicate passage of time after Margie's wedding. Just thought I would share.
On a side note, Adam gets punched twice and thrown twice that we see and once that we hear as the episode cuts to Ben and Joe hearing the ruckus in She Walks in Beauty.

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 am

AmberSkye wrote:Tirza? Really, Joe?
:rotfl
AmberSkye wrote:It's always a point of pain for me to watch Hoss open up that big, beautiful heart of his to a girl and then have that girl reject or take advantage of his love

YES. :sob
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post:
AmberSkye
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Wasn't Kathie Browne in Ride Lonesome, too?
I'm pretty sure the writers are as much to blame for how much we don't love Laura Dayton as the actress is. After all, it was her job
to play the part. We don't often talk about how inconsistently the writers wanted the characters to behave, because we focus (rightly,
IMO) on our favorites among the regulars: the four Cartwrights, Hop Sing, and Roy Coffee / Clem being the "regulars." I think all four
of the actors had a lot to do with making their characters the people we admire, maybe even love, all these years later. But if Bonanza
were like most other TV shows of the era, some of that had to be in spite of what the words on the page called for; and a guest star
would most likely not have been in position to appeal for an override of egregiously inconsistent writing, especially given the outcome of
one of the principals' attempts to do so.
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 pm

RedShirt wrote:Wasn't Kathie Browne in Ride Lonesome, too?

Karen Steele was the actress in Ride Lonesome. She also played in The Tin Star, a second season episode of Bonanza, I believe. :adam :thumbup

Return to “Season 3”