Episode 82 - THE TALL STRANGER

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 82 - THE TALL STRANGER

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 am

Date: January 7, 1962

Summary: Hoss is head over heels in love with Margie Owens and plans to propose marriage to her. But before he can speak to her father, she meets Mark Connors, a charming stranger, who has traveled all around the world, and she falls in love with his fantasies. She marries him, and too late, discovers that he is not the prince charming she imagined.

Written by: Ward Hawkins
Directed by: Don McDougall
Guest Stars: Margie Owens...Kathie Browne Marc Connors...Sean McClory Kathy...Jacqueline Scott George Owens...Russell Thorson Minister...Ed Prentiss Woman...Dorothy Neumann Father...Robert Ridgely Doctor...Bart Conlon Gilbert...Henry Wills Betty Endicott...(uncredited extra) Bill Clark...(uncredited extra)

Slideshow images by Freya

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 82 - THE TALL STRANGER

Post by January » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Ellen Henry, Margie Owens & Laura Dayton. What do these 3 women have in common? Does this confuse you in a television series? Did you like those 3 characters?

Now, what about Margie Owens and Hoss Cartwright as a couple? We know that Hoss would have made a good husband but do you think Margie would have made a good wife for him? And what about the fact that she was dating Hoss and then turned around and married a man she hardly knew just because he promised to take her around the world.

I found this episode "dark"! It wasn't your typical Bonanza episode. I wasn't expecting the ending as it unfolded. It left me feeling empty and I found it upsetting.

Do you think Hoss had a control issue when it came to his temper? For instance, in this episode Hoss badly beat up the man that married and abandoned Margie Owens. This was not the first or even second time Hoss' strength was uncontrollable. Can you name the other times where Hoss went overboard with his strength?
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:32 pm

The 3 women were all played by Kathie Browne...a love interest for Adam, a love interest for Hoss and a pregnant lady married to a non-Cartwright. It doesn't confuse me. The episodes weren't aired that close together, and back then they weren't getting rerun regularly so that something like that would be more noticeable. I haven't seen the episode with Ellen Henry that often, but the impression I have of the character is sympathetic. As for Laura Dayton, I agree with what seems to be the consensus among fans that she was irritatingly whiny and needy and it was a good thing that she and Adam didn't wind up getting married. And Margie Owens? We can deplore her bad judgement in turning away from Hoss and falling for Marc Connors' line, but she certainly paid a steep price for that mistake. I don't feel that she ever had a real, true commitment to Hoss, even from the beginning, at least not the kind of commitment needed to really make a marriage work, so their happiness in the long term would have been questionable. Did Hoss have an anger control issue? That's not the way I see it. Normally, of course, Hoss was the gentlest of men. His occasional outbursts of anger were given heightened effect by the contrast to his usual demeanor...and by their very rarity. They were inspired by a threat to someone he cared about deeply, in this case Connor's abandonment of Margie. And I'm not going to be too critical about that.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post:
RedShirt

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 54

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:44 pm

This is one of those odd episodes that is okay, but not a favorite. Margie wanted excitement and both her and Hoss were well to do or families were well to do. They had known each other a long time. She sure was dragging her feet in telling her dad about Hoss and her. Hoss is one of those guys you have to tell them what you want.(actually most men,lol) If she had said she wanted to go to New York and Paris for her honeymoon, he would have given it to her. She said it herself, she was very foolish. I felt she was a better character than Laura. I think she led Hoss on. Did Connor deserve a beating? I wonder was there another way? I don't know the Ellen character and Laura was silly and a fool. When did Hoss have temper issues? She Walks In Beauty comes to mind. He never let Adam explain and that just seemed unHoss like. of course he had a right to be angry from what he saw, but beating his brother wasn't much of a solution and he seemed in a big hurry to do so. If we go by his nature I think he would have let Adam explain. But TV shows need action and fights are action. For being a gentle man, he seemed to like to fight. He fought with Slim Pickens for fun on 2 episodes I think and also in The Ape and The Magnificant Adah, The Duke and more. He punched Adam and Joe in The Courtship which is not so gentle to me. Would have been better to knock them in the horse trough and funnier. :adam :joe :hoss
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
MegD

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:36 am

January wrote: Do you think Hoss had a control issue when it came to his temper? For instance, in this episode Hoss badly beat up the man that married and abandoned Margie Owens. This was not the first or even second time Hoss' strength was uncontrollable. Can you name the other times where Hoss went overboard with his strength?
Um, I'm sorry, but I find that to be a very prickly question. I can see this creating an argument, as at least I stand fully on Hoss's side, (big surprise, huh? :laughing ), and I'm pretty sure others are going to be on the opposite side. Why not a more, for lack of a better word, lighthearted, question? :shrug
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 am

I don't think Hoss resorted to fighting any more than any other man on the show; we EXPECTED it, didn't we? He wasn't beating up on people who couldn't defend themselves.

One thing about Margie - she TOLD Hoss exactly what she wanted - to travel and see the world - and he ignored it. He thought she would eventually come around to his way of thinking. He learned his lesson, though; he told Regan "we're gonna do whatever it takes to make you happy."
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:21 am

Cartwright fan. wrote: Um, I'm sorry, but I find that to be a very prickly question. I can see this creating an argument, as at least I stand fully on Hoss's side, (big surprise, huh? :laughing ), and I'm pretty sure others are going to be on the opposite side. Why not a more, for lack of a better word, lighthearted, question? :shrug
If there's to be an argument, I will stand with Hoss, too! :wink Ben is exactly right in The Legacy when he explains that his second son is "slow to get angry" and "slow to hurt living things." Hoss was always the most gentle soul on the Ponderosa, and when his temper is really roused, 99.9% of the time it is to protect someone weak or innocent from abuse. He is so compassionate toward the small things of the world that becomes indignant when he sees other people misusing their strength to hurt them. He wanted to protect Margie from that scoundrel, and though I don't condone beating people up, that fellow certainly deserved a beating!

As far as She Walks In Beauty goes (Julianna), I have a hard time being angry at him for that. Hoss is usually so self-deprecating, imagining himself to be the big, clumsy oaf between two graceful, socially adept brothers, and all of his wonder at Regan's love for him is suddenly turned to shame and jealousy when he sees her with Adam. From Hoss's point of view, it was terribly unfair of his brother to chase after the one beautiful girl who loved Hoss when Adam could have his pick of the girls of the town. Of course, we know that Adam is innocent, but Hoss doesn't, and even Adam seems to understand that. I think that's why he just takes the beating without fighting back. He knows as well as we do that Hoss isn't prone to violent fits of temper, but is "getting back" in the only way he can because Adam has hurt him so deeply.

And Margie...I don't think she would have made a good wife for Hoss, because she didn't appreciate him. She was sweet, but living in a fairy-tale dream world that had to be shattered eventually. I'm sad, for her sake, that it had to be shattered by a cad who ruined her life, but I'm thankful Hoss didn't have to marry her and live through years of discomfort as his wife became increasingly discontent and disillusioned. My 2 cents.
These users thanked the author PlatoofthePonderosa for the post (total 3):
PJudithCartwright fan.RedShirt
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Julianna
Drover
Drover

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Winner - Eff Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Spare Valentine's Day

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:41 am

Come to think of it, did any of the women appreciate the Cartwright men? I don't blame Hoss for being angry with Adam either, but sometimes I feel the writers didn't follow canon. I still say Hoss was unHoss like. He even had it planned out to beat him up in the bunkhouse where he couldn't be stopped. The best part of that whole story was the last 30 sec. in my thinking. On a side note if Adam was at the sister's house at 10am and then left maybe an hour later... where was he all day? It is dark when he comes home. One of the holes in the story.

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm

One thing I'd like to know: what "beating"? If you watch the episode again, you'll see that Hoss hits him ONCE. He draws back to hit him again, but the one blow is all Connors receives. I don't doubt that Hoss hurt him, but I really don't think you can say he, beat him. :no
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

Julianna
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Cartwright fan. wrote:One thing I'd like to know: what "beating"? If you watch the episode again, you'll see that Hoss hits him ONCE. He draws back to hit him again, but the one blow is all Connors receives. I don't doubt that Hoss hurt him, but I really don't think you can say he, beat him. :no
just what constitutes a beating? 2, 3 4 hits? or is it the severity? What does everyone think? In The Magnificent Adah John Regan only hits Joe a few times( not sure if 3 or 4)and he almost kills him. :shrug

Return to “Season 3”