Episode 71 - THE BURMA RARITY

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 71 - THE BURMA RARITY

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:49 am

Date: October 22, 1961

Summary: This wild comedy involves a precious emerald, a pair of swindlers and an eccentric widow, Clementine Hawkins, who has her eye on Ben and contrives many an opportunity to claim him as her own. When you watch this one you have to pay attention to the manipulations and double crosses – they are just “Ducky.”
Written by: N. B. Stone, Jr.

Directed by: William Witney
Guest Stars: Clementine Hawkins...Beatrice Kay Sam Pearson...James Griffith Mr. Jefferson...Charles Watts Phil Axe...Dave Willock Henry Morgan...Wally Brown Indian Chief...Nestor Paiva Blonde Girl...Joan Staley Hop Sing...Victor Sen Yung Roy Coffee...Ray Teal Bartender...Cosmo Sardo Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double & extra cowboy in saloon) Bill Clark...(uncredited; stunt double & extra as cowboy in saloon) Betty Endicott...(uncredited extra)

Slideshow courtesy of Adamant

Jeanny
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben Cartwright

Re: Episode 71 - THE BURMA RARITY

Post by Jeanny » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:29 am

Episode Guide wrote: When you watch this one you have to pay attention to the manipulations and double crosses – they are just “Ducky.”
Just watched this episode on German TV and was laughing almost all the time :laughing What a funny kind of play of all the actors...

But what does "Ducky" mean? I couldn't unterstand the meaning behind??

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 140
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019
15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:37 am

I love Clementine and I don't blame her for chasing after Ben! A bit of a silly episode but fun to watch.

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition

View all badges

Post by ellie » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 am

Episode Guide wrote:When you watch this one you have to pay attention to the manipulations and double crosses – they are just “Ducky.”
Jeanny wrote:...But what does "Ducky" mean? I couldn't understand the meaning behind??
Tough to explain ... The way Clementine was using it, it's an endearment like sweetie, sweetheart, dear, darling but it's not used anymore.
The way the word is used in the Episode Guide, it means charming or delightful. But, again, the road is no longer used in common vernacular.
These users thanked the author ellie for the post:
Jeanny

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:42 am

This is a fun episode filled with several twists and turns but that accent puts me off. Listening to Beatrice Kay in Burma Rarity is like listening to Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:39 am

ellie wrote: Tough to explain ... The way Clementine was using it, it's an endearment like sweetie, sweetheart, dear, darling but it's not used anymore.
The way the word is used in the Episode Guide, it means charming or delightful. But, again, the road is no longer used in common vernacular.
Thank you for your Explanation. I think I got it right now and at the same time I try to put it into the unusual-idioms-folder in my mind :roy

Jeanny

Post by Jeanny » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:41 am

Calamity wrote:This is a fun episode filled with several twists and turns but that accent puts me off.
It sounds quite British to my ears :cool1
These users thanked the author Jeanny for the post:
Calamity

CarrieLee23
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Post by CarrieLee23 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:53 pm

A fun, humerous episode. I just love to see Ben's discomfort around Clementine and I especially love how the boys tease him about her.

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:44 am

When Clementine puts Hoss's hat on Ben and she draws the shade down, you can almost hear Ben scream...
These users thanked the author ellen for the post (total 3):
SharryCarrieLee23Chenoa
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Chenoa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 16
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Little Joe & Hoss

Christmas 2018 Without A Trace 6 Talk like a pirate 2017 Spare BINGO Quotes
Search BINGO Quotes Fun With Quotes 2017 Saint Patrick's Day 2017 Countdown to 1,111,111
100 Posts The Reading Club The Reading Club Oktoberfest 2016
Talk Like A Pirate 2016 St. Patrick's Day 2016 Oscar Chat Meet & Greet Chat

View all badges

Post by Chenoa » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Just recently watched this one and laughed all the time, particularly that scene where Hoss lifts that weight to imitate the man on the poster and ends up crashing that table is hilarious ( + Ben getting out of that chair!!!!). And Joe´s face when he realizes they have traded the REAL burma rarity for some supper and need to get back to that chief as fast as possible :very happy .
Hope there will be more like this one (I am watching season three now)...
"They´re three fine boys Jed...hard workers and a good head on their shoulders...they are close to each other as brothers should be!" Ben in "Springtime"

Return to “Season 3”