Episode 68 - SPRINGTIME

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 68 - SPRINGTIME

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:46 am

Date: October 1, 1961

Summary: Jedidiah Milbank, an old friend of Ben’s, comes to visit. He is laid up in bed after an unfortunate injury (compliments of the Cartwright boys’ springtime shenanigans). While Jedidiah recovers, Ben sends his boys out to tend to the man’s business matters. That task is easier said than done. This episode features the famous fight in the mud puddle as well as one of Ben's rare voice-overs.

Written by: John Furia Jr.
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Jedediah Milbank...John Carradine Parley...John Qualen Ann...Jena Engstrom Paul...Claude Johnson Ted Hack...Denver Pyle Mama Hack...Lorna Thayer Livery Owner...Clegg Hoyt Doctor...Selmer Jackson

Slideshow images courtesy of Gillie

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 68 - SPRINGTIME

Post by January » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Jedidieh Milbank's was as sly as they come. Not only did he find a way to have himself waited on hand and foot, but he also managed to get the boys to do his dirty work.

Joe - had to evict somebody

Hoss - had to talk a young couple just starting out into giving up their land for a generous offer

Adam - had to collect past due rent or throw a family off their property

Instead, Joe ended up in a tree, Hoss got a puppy & Adam lost his shirt! So how did Adam, Hoss & Joe end up conning the conman himself?

The above post brought to you by A Ponderosa Pine :pine
These users thanked the author January for the post:
Julianna
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:58 am

This is way up at the top as one of the best of the brothers episodes. I watch this over and over just to see them throwing each other in the mud! It has some very good scenes with all four Cartwrights. They looked like they had a lot of fun with this one.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
LittleJoe4EverJulianna

ansinico
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 378
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe/Adam

Forum Moderator Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Poetry Portfolio Bonanza Ballads Level 12
BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by ansinico » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:38 am

Apart from their tasks, each which showed the Cartwright merits, tenacity, and care.
I think if a poll were instigated this would be the most watched and rewatched scene in any episode...
That 'scene' that moment of glory is nothing less than perfection personified and covered in mud to boot!!
I ask you, what else could a full-bloodied Bonanza Boomer want out of life?!
These users thanked the author ansinico for the post:
Julianna
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
:grimesgirl "You'd have died of a real bad case of slow."
"Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows." Michael Landon

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 169
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018
Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1

View all badges

Post by ellie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:04 am

I'm a Hoss fan through-and-through. I can drool over him anywhere anytime. But that pic of shirtless Adam can leave me speechless!
(Hubby and I were talking about something during a commercial. Shirtless Adam was the opening scene when the show came back on. The otherwise intelligent conversation was interrupted by me saying "whoa!" and completely losing my train of thought. Thankfully, Hubby was amused).
These users thanked the author ellie for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

AdamCult2b
Drover
Drover
Badges: 58

Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Summer 2018 Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017 Without A Trace 5 Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016
The Coloring Book Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Fun With Art Sadie Hawkins Day 2016
Group Member Like us on fb 5-star review 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by AdamCult2b » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Take a look at my avatar - isn't it self-explanatory that this is my favorite episode? :laughing I do not know what it is that the brother's fight in the beginning and the mud scene has such a power of attraction. But I can watch it over and over again.
Each Cartwright boy solved the issue in their own best way respective to their character, no matter what Jedidieh wanted.
The ending scene is also such fun . There is the cute bride. But I always start laughing aloud when the soft roof of the buggy falls down and frames the head of Jedidieh :rotfl Spitefulness ? YES :laughing
It may be the way to tame a shrew but not a Woman of Fire
A man who hold on to his convictions takes courage (The Ride)

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Definitely a very fun episode. Love how the boys handled the tasks they were given in ways that had more to do with helping the people involved than fulfilling Jedediah's wishes. The puppy is adorable. The buggy roof coming down on Jedediah's head is hilarious. As for shirtless Adam at the forge...what can be said? He's worthy of being sculpted by Michelangelo!

debpet2 :adam

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Springtime! Yey! This is just a fabulous episode from start to finish. There really isn't alot more than can be said about the mud bath scene. It's a sheer joy to watch over and over and over again. I love the argument at the beginning too as it's not a scenario that featured that much. I mean, sometimes it was Joe v Adam, or Hoss v Adam (was there ever a Hoss v Joe?) but the three brothers against each other just didn't happen. Thankfully it was just a letting off scene type row, but luckily for us, we got the pleasure of a Joe sandwich. :grin And having watched that scene a hundred times, it's as clear as day that naughty Dan is purposely aiming to dislodge Pernell's hair piece! :laughing

And yes, the puppy is seriously cute - when Hoss is holding it, when Adam is holding it, and when the other wee puppy follows giant Hoss out of the barn door...

Holy mackeral I love this episode!

BBG
Drover
Drover
Badges: 43
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: BEN

Group Member 100 Posts 1,000 Posts PR Brick Dedication
FanFic Writer Badge The Reading Club Cowboy Poetry 2012 St. Patrick's Day Limerick
Don't Blink Fun With Captions Hidden Treasures September Song 2012
Team Boomers Loses That's Who??? That's True! Fun with 1's

View all badges

Post by BBG » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Adam's YEEHAA!" So great. So rare. But, a part of Adam that has always been there and he finally broke loose! A great re-wind moment.

BBG
These users thanked the author BBG for the post:
LittleJoe4Ever

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:37 pm

This one sometimes leads me to wonder why Hoss went into the mud puddle instead of just going around but when the boys get all muddy I just forget.

Return to “Season 3”