Episode 85 - THE STORM

Bonanza Season 3 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 85 - THE STORM

Post by Episode Guide » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:54 am

Date: January 28, 1962

Summary: Joe falls in love with Laura White, the daughter of Captain Matthew White, one of Ben’s old sea-faring friends Joe doesn’t’ know that Laura is fatally ill. Ben tries to console Joe with sentiments shared with him by Abel Stoddard when Elizabeth died.

Written by: Denne Petitclerc
Directed by: Lewis Allen
Guest Stars:Captain Matthew White...Frank Overton Laura White...Brooke Hayward.

Slideshow courtesy of Bejules

CochiseAndJoseph
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Re: Episode 85 - THE STORM

Post by CochiseAndJoseph » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:04 am

So, this episode really bugged me. I liked Laura and I actually thought they were sweet together. Normally I find the romances on this show a little melodramatic and I just don't care as much as I think the writers wanted me too. My favorite thing about this episode was the way Hoss and Adam responded. It was adorable! So why did it bug me? Well, the entire point is that Little Joe knew this girl from his childhood in New Orleans. But he didn't grow up in new Orleans. In fact, in other episodes he says that he's never even been there! Now, I haven't seen every episode of the show yet so I don't claim to be some kind of expert. If someone has something more to share that could maybe make this make sense, I would be much obliged.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:09 am

That was strange about him saying he lived in New Orleans. The writers don't get together. Other then that I love this episode. Joe and Laura made a sweet couple. I couldn't help but wonder-if only she didn't have to die but she was shown wearing the dreaded blue dress!

CochiseAndJoseph
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Post by CochiseAndJoseph » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:18 am

daisy60 wrote:That was strange about him saying he lived in New Orleans. The writers don't get together. Other then that I love this episode. Joe and Laura made a sweet couple. I couldn't help but wonder-if only she didn't have to die but she was shown wearing the dreaded blue dress!
I love it too! The first time I watched it I was just extremely irritated by the inconsistency and it stills bugs me but I'm able to just enjoy it for the story and the characters now. I also thought the acting in this episode was quite good, especially on Michael's part. I felt like Joe and Laura actually had chemistry, which I feel is sometimes missed in Bonanza. They balanced each other out pretty well. It would've been interesting to've seen more of Laura. I really liked her! She was sweet. My personal favorite was Tessa though. I wish that one had worked out even though they ended it deciding together that they didn't really love each other.

debbiejo
Drover
Drover
Badges: 8
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 100 Posts September Song 2013
Summer 2013 Summer 2014 Easter 2013 Michael Landon

View all badges

Post by debbiejo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 am

I love this episode, even though the "Joe in New Orleans as a boy" part didn't fit at all....Joe was born and grew up on the Ponderosa. I just focus on Joe and Laura's romance as they are in the present. It was sweet, sad and even had a couple of humorous scenes, as when Joe fell in the water, when Hoss carried Joe like a bride, and when Laura had to insist that he turn around as she was taking her dress off. The look on Mike's face says it all.

In the scene where Joe and Laura are sitting close together by the fire and they kiss, Mike looks incredible. I don't know how Brooke Hayward was able to remember her lines.

One of the things I found pretty :shrug in this episode was the fact that Laura couldn't run five feet without a coughing spasm, yet she was going to given Joe so many children that there "would be Cartwrights on the Ponderosa for generations to come." :no

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:09 am

If it makes you feel better, just imagine that Ben took Joe to New Orleans for a visit. That's what I've always thought.
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:44 pm

It's the one episode that makes me cry like a baby. I've just watched it again and I'm still blubbing.

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 137
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's
Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Winter 2018/2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:35 pm

I'll join you with a box of tissue, Sierra Girl. I also cry all through this episode.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
Sierra Girl

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Now that I've recovered from the trauma of watching 'The Storm' last night, I am able to rationally, and without blubbing, relate the scene which I thought was amazing... and that's the scene where Joe is at the cabin after the death of Laura, and his Pa comes in to offer words of comfort. I had to rewind the scene to check there weren't any cuts or edits and to confirm to myself that the camera never leaves Mike's face, because when he breaks down a little he actually shed a tear. He actually cried. What a tour de force of acting. I was so impressed and because he was really crying, he made me cry in turn. Just wow! Beautiful scene. Amazing actor.

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 167
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019
Surprise Level 2 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Challenge Games Edition

View all badges

Post by ellie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Joe falls in the drink ... Laura gets a little bit of rain on her. What's Joe thinking? "Let's get you out of those wet clothes." C'mon, Joe, she's barely wet!

Return to “Season 3”