Episode 48 - THE COURTSHIP

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 48 - THE COURTSHIP

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Date: January 7, 1961

Summary: After hearing of the death of his old friend Josh Layton, Ben asks Little Joe and Hoss to visit his widow Helen in Sacramento, CA. Upon their arrival, Hoss urges her to accompany them back to the Ponderosa. Along the way, Hoss proposes to Helen Layton, unaware that she's a compulsive gambler and only using him.

Written by: Richard N. Morgan
Directed by: James P. Yarbrough
Guest Stars: Julie Adams (Helen Layton)

Slideshow images courtesy of Gillie

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 48 - THE COURTSHIP

Post by January » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:15 pm

One of my favorite bonanza episodes because it shows the vulnerability of Hoss and the love of his family to try to prevent Hoss from being hurt. We all know that in real life (and Bonanza is real life :razz ) we are wanting happiness. If we think we've found it, we don't want to hear anything bad about the person we're falling for. How many times has that happened to you?

Did Hoss really love her? Did he feel like he could change her or help her? Did he feel sorry for her? Pine just told me that she thought that Hoss never felt he really loved her and I never thought about that. I think Hoss wanted a woman who needed him.

Hoss always seemed to take on the people that couldn't manage on their own. Helen seemed to be that kind of needy person. Without Hoss realizing Helen's gambling problem, Helen was the perfect woman for Hoss, so it seemed.

... And nothing for nothing but did you ever see fingers as long and as beautiful as Adam's? :laughing
Beautiful Adam fingers image courtesy of Gillie from Bonanza Boomers Gallery

So what's your thoughts on "The Courtship"?
These users thanked the author January for the post:
TNTrue
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Calamity
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 268
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: All Four Cartwrights

BINGO Search Emoticon Edition BINGO Gutterball Emoticon Ed. Without A Trace 5 Countdown to 1,111,111
Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016 New Year's Resolutions 2017 Modern Art
Stuffed In Chat Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Slow Cooker Recipes Guest Who's Coming To Dinner
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2009 The Coloring Book In Memory David Canary Halloween Tales 2016

View all badges

Post by Calamity » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:38 pm

I believe that Helen Layton was to Hoss what Sue Ellen Terry was to Adam. While there was an attraction, it wasn't love.
Proud Owner of Adam's Poetry Book, Lafe's Auction June 2016
Proud Member of BHA
♪ ♫ ♬ Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight? ♪ ♫ ♬

Gillie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Badges: 449

Global Moderator Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO L Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Reader's Choice Level 4 BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by Gillie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:55 pm

I like the episode for the interaction between the brothers throughout and for Helen's dresses!

But I could never understand Hoss' combination of refusing to believe that Helen was a gambling addict and/or his declarations that even if it was true, it wouldn't make any difference to him.

Pa had told him how she financially ruined her husband which caused his suicide. How could that quality in the person you were planning on marrying possibly not matter? :shrug

Hoss was a smart guy, but with women, he stuck by some real lulus!
:bejules Proud Member of BHA
Proud owner of Adam's Guitar, Lafe's Auction June 2016

Adam to Joe: "You heard what he said. We look for little green men riding on hound dogs."
"Well, Jessie, I'm not just sure I pleased you." Jim Boyer
:grimesgirl

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 142
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019
BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts Out Of The Blue

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:23 am

I felt so sorry for Hoss in this episode. She obviously wasn't the one for him but he needed to see how she really was. Hoss would be a wonderful husband if he could find the right one.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
TNTrue

Fanofoldtvshows
Wrangler
Wrangler
Badges: 376
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe

Bonanza Ballads Level 7 Reader's Choice Level 5 September Song 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary
Summer Reading Special 2019 Summer Reading 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Reader's Choice Level 4
Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue

View all badges

Post by Fanofoldtvshows » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:42 am

I felt very so for Hoss in this episode. Helen did not love Hoos but love his money, I have no doubt she would have left Hoss had they married if the Cartwright's had loss most or all their money.

Karol
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 189

Reader's Choice Level 1 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Poetry Portfolio BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Fun with Captions Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West

View all badges

Post by Karol » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:05 am

This episode shows the real life. If somebody is falling in love, never would hear bad things about the person. It takes time to realize and come back to the bottom of the facts. Sometimes those people need help from other persons in different ways. It's hard for them being directly confronted with a situation. Blinded by love. But I think many of us have had such a situation in our life. :yes

By the way, I love the fingers of Adam. When I wrote a poem (in German language) I didn't forget his fingers! :yes
These users thanked the author Karol for the post:
TNTrue
Don't worry, things usually work out if you want it enough. (Adam in "The Jackknife")
Don't dream your life - live your dream. (Tommaso Campanella)

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:39 am

Karol just took the words right out of my mouth - he was blinded by love. He chose to ignore all the bad things that people said about her because he was so besotted with her. If he's anything like me, then he was turning a blind eye to all the niggles that were burning away at the back of his mind and choosing only to see the facade of this attractive woman who had him wrapped completely around her little finger. The scene which makes me want to shout at him big time, is when he goes to see her and she's - oh what a coincidence - put her wedding dress on. Poor Hoss, he's such a softie, he didn't stand a chance against that broadside!

My favourite scene in this ep? The return of Adam to the ranch when Joe is putting the party decorations up. It has a really warm family dynamic going on - until Adam imparts what he knows about Helen of course.

And is this the first ep where Hoss hits Adam over a woman?

Tracy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 332
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben, Adam, Hoss, Joe
Location: Florida, but my heart will always be in Fairport, NY.

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 14 Reader's Choice Level 4 Summer Reading 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 13 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 Reader's Choice Level 3 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10
Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9 Reader's Choice Level 2 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Tracy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:57 am

I don't believe Hoss loved Helen.

We all know that a 60 minute episode, minus commercial time, is not capable of showing a character falling in love -- that takes time. But even so, I don't think Hoss loved her.

What Hoss saw when he entered Helen's home was desolation. She was totally alone, not just without friends or a husband, but without the creature comforts Hoss could tell had once been there. Then he saw her. She was NOT the older woman he was expecting to find when his father sent him on this mission. She "fainted," which I'm not convinced was out from lack of food, but rather to ensnare the man she already knew had money. Put the condition of the home, Hoss's surprise at the pretty woman, and her fainting and you have the perfect scenario for tender-hearted Hoss to be the savior. Not that Hoss thought of it that way, of course. Hoss would rescue, treat, and nurture a wounded, trapped animal, and Helen was just that.

I've always thought about writing a What Happened Before story for The Courtship. I always wondered if something had happened before Hoss was sent to help the widow, something that left Hoss particularly vulnerable.

Anyway, I also think part of Hoss's denial about Helen's gambling was that he didn't want to be wrong in his father and brothers' eyes. Hoss is sensitive to people's glances and the tone in their voice -- he's a tracker. He had to see the facial reactions of his father and Adam when he walked up and announced that he and Helen were getting married. Sure, Joe whooped and hollered, but that's Joe. Hoss knew, after bringing Helen to the ranch, that no one else was really happy about their engagement. I think he was embarrassed to have been taken, angry, too, and also still wanted to believe he could heal the wounded woman he cared about but did not love. Just my opinion.

One series-important thing, for me, is the character relationships in this episode. We already know how close the Cartwrights are to one another, how much they love one another. But in this episode, we see Ben, Adam, and Joe in a deeper light. Their anguish over the situation, their devotion to Hoss, and their pain when they're forced to "hurt" or "save" him from Helen.

**side note: Anyone else ever find it curious that Helen's last name is Layton, and we are given two other episodes featuring the big mountain man, Jim Layton? **

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:51 am

Well, he may not have really LOVED her, but I think he THOUGHT he loved her. And that's why she broke his heart. She - unlike Regan in "She Walks in Beauty" - did not care one whit for Hoss; she only wanted someone to bankroll her gambling.

Hoss's strength - and his weakness - was that he trusted people until they gave him a reason not to. Normally the actions of someone like Helen would have caused him to think twice, but he was besotted. Love is blind.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
TNTrue
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Return to “Season 2”