Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Re: Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:43 pm

I always figured it was pain rather than fatigue that did him in so quickly. He's still barely hobbling along with that stick, and then he gets into a fight which requires running, leaping, crouching...when he and the Indian were locked for several seconds, the wounded leg was taking all the pressure. Once the moment of crisis passed, it wouldn't be surprising if he blacked out.

Personally, I don't think it was a dream. Sure, there were far-fetched elements, but that's normal for Bonanza. :laughing The main reason you'd think it was a dream is Ben's/Hoss's doubt at the end (they think he's delirious). But when Joe brings out the Bible with the ring inside, it seems to debunk that theory.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310

Forum Moderator Librarian Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by patina » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:33 pm

I think Adam’s romance with Ruth was a fever-induced dream. The music leads me to that conclusion. I believe Ruth was a medicine woman respected by the Shoshone, she took Adam back to her camp to patch him up, and she left with the Shoshone once she was satisfied his wounds were healing.

It makes no sense to me that she (or the Shoshone) would take the time to button Adam’s shirt up before they left. (When found by the rest of the family, Adam’s shirt is again buttoned as it was when he initially awoke in her camp.) Hoss (or is it Joe?) points out Adam is running a high fever. Adam is grateful to Ruth for caring for him and, since he believes they had a romance, he wants to find her. Was she perhaps wearing the wooden ring when they met and she left it behind as a tantalizing clue that she had in fact patched him up?

Was Ruth what she seemed? Was she a beautiful, young woman or perhaps an older woman? Was she more than just a medicine woman the Shoshone came to for help? Had she possibly been adopted by the Shoshone and retreated to live, and mourn, on her own after her husband died? Is that why she had a wooden ring? Food for ff thought.
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

Tahoe Lee
Drover
Drover
Badges: 56

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 5
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Photographer Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Hidden Treasures Guest Star Bio Guest Star POD Reader's Choice Level 4

View all badges

Post by Tahoe Lee » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:30 pm

First off I love the opening scene about the windmills. Good stuff there!!

To the story....I could actually see this as a dream. Not saying it is...but it has dreamy elements to it that you guys have pointed out. I agree..the music was off in this episode. David Rose used his music to express emotion so wonderfully in Bonanza...but not here.. Was this weird music done on purpose? It didn't fit the emotion.

The language was more of a dreamy Adam . Garden of Eden...I Love you very much. Music, books, laughter. The language is in another dimension...like in a dream. By the way, I could believe Adam Cartwright would have a dream about falling in love with a White Buffalo woman. Now that sounds totally in character.

And then his memory was thinking back to what had just happened in his life...just like you do when you dream. He remembered Ben telling him "as long as your education doesn't interfere with your. Thinking." And telling her about "I have a stubourb father and two hard headed brothers, but they're home to me no matter where they live."

He had remembered the Book of Ruth in the Bible.
In the Book....Ruth enters a foreign land and meets Boaz...a type of redeemer.
Kind of like what Adam wants to be????

And it ends too abruptly...like a dream
He looks dazed on his horse going home
"You're a good man, Adam." *Toy Soldier*

janet0312
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 4

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer 100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by janet0312 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:29 pm

I couldn't get into this the other night when I picked this one to watch. Maybe I was too tired. But I loved Pa and Adam arguing and Hoss and Lil Joe listening in. That was pretty funny. I will try it again soon. Maybe.
Help! I've been Adamized! Oh, no! I've been Lorne Greened too!

Return to “Season 2”