Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:38 pm

I looked Anna Lisa up on imdb. There wasn't much info in her bio. It says she was born in Norway in 1935. She acted in Black Saddle in 1959, Have Rocket--Will Travel also in 1959, and 12 To the Moon in 1960. (I've never heard of any of those before.)

After being on Bonanza, Anna Lisa continued to act in movies until 1974, when she retired and went back to Norway...and became a stage actress!

Edited to add: Adamant has done a bio for Anna Lisa in the Guest Star Forum, with more information than imdb had. (I'm embarrassed I didn't think to check the Guest Star forum before running off to look for information elsewhere! :ashamed And it's my own forum now, too!) Here's the link to the bio. Photobucket swallowed up most of the pictures, but the info is cool! Anna Lisa Bio
Last edited by CowgirlAtHeart on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 178
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5 BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 pm

I hadn't noticed the similarity in what Adam said to Ruth and what he said to Laura. That does strike me as sounding callous, like Adam thinks the women's trauma is just something they can "get over" once they've told somebody about it. I hope that's not the way the writers and Pernell meant it, but it does sound like that!
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Forum Moderator Librarian Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by patina » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 pm

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:I hadn't noticed the similarity in what Adam said to Ruth and what he said to Laura. That does strike me as sounding callous, like Adam thinks the women's trauma is just something they can "get over" once they've told somebody about it. I hope that's not the way the writers and Pernell meant it, but it does sound like that!
It was a common attitude in the 1960s. I'd like to think we've progressed as a society since then but sometimes it seems like we haven't gotten far.

Adam wouldn't have been at the Mountain of the Dead if he hadn't decided to take a shortcut to "windmill guy's" place (I can't remember the guy's name). Good thing Sport was a homing horse or no one would have known to go looking for Adam! :laughing
These users thanked the author patina for the post (total 2):
CowgirlAtHeartSharry
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:10 am

I saw Anna-Lisa a week or so ago in a Gunsmoke episode. She was playing a German woman who had come to Dodge to marry the German blacksmith (played by George Kennedy). They spoke German to each other - I mean, I guess it was German.
These users thanked the author ellen for the post:
RedShirt
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

manulanee
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam / Pernell

Winter 2018/2019 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Surprise Level 5
Surprise Level 4 Surprise Level 3 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 5,000 Posts September Song 2018 Summer 2018
Olympic Bronze 2018 Valentine's Day 2018 Anniversary Word Puzzle 10th Anniversary Letter U

View all badges

Post by manulanee » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:35 am

ellen wrote:I saw Anna-Lisa a week or so ago in a Gunsmoke episode. She was playing a German woman who had come to Dodge to marry the German blacksmith (played by George Kennedy). They spoke German to each other - I mean, I guess it was German.
They do, ellen. :grin
I always have a good laugh at all those "typically German" names in American episodes: :whistling "Müller" is one of the best known names in Germany and "Gretchen" (Margaret) is one of the leading characters in Goethe's tragic play "Faust". - We do the same with American characters in German/Austrian movies I guess ...
These users thanked the author manulanee for the post:
Sharry
How many lives - do you figure - yours is worth? (Adam in "The Way Station")
A child is no pot to be filled, but a fire to be ignited. (François Rabelais)

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 pm

The Savage, to me-- is one of the more memorable episodes. I was talking to my friend at school about this one, particularly the part where Ben and Adam are arguing about windmills, and her reaction was "They were arguing over windmills?" Typical question, and my first impression attitude as well. It made for a great comedy scene in my opinion.

As for the questions Ponderosa Pine brought up, those are interesting things to ponder. If the first Indian hadn't been killed, and the second one did shoot, then Adam probably would've wound up in an even worse state.
Anna Lisa I found, was terrific. I only wish we would have found out what happened to Adam later, or how he even got back to her place. Was he even conscious when they took him back? Or was the fever so high, he didn't remember? We'll never know...
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:03 pm

Very interesting point about Adam saying to both women, "Let it go." I don't want to generalize, but a lot of men seem to have trouble dealing with a woman's very deep feelings. So they just say "let it go". They really don't know what else to say.

And it wasn't just part of the era that Adam lived in. After my divorce I was dating a guy. One time I told him about some of my things that my ex kept. He agreed to give me certain things in the divorce and he reneged (mostly out of spite). I was telling this guy about a painting that I wanted returned to me. It was very important to me, but my ex kept it.

The guy, Chris, said, "So let it go." I wanted to punch his lights out!!! :grin He had told ME about so many " bad" things which other people did to him and HE couldn't ever let go of the angry feelings.

I must say that some men can be real unfeeling jerks! When they can't deal with deep emotions, they just want the woman to sweep them under the rug.

These users thanked the author PJudith for the post:
Sharry

elizabeth
Drover
Drover
Badges: 132
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Fun With Captions Level 3 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game

View all badges

Post by elizabeth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:05 pm

I think Roberts was bothered by some of portrayal of women on B if I remember right. Not a good role model episode on how to deal with feelings.
These users thanked the author elizabeth for the post:
RedShirt
"There are some things a man just can't ride around." P. Roberts

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 60

Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019
Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary
Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1
Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:23 am

PJudith wrote:Very interesting point about Adam saying to both women, "Let it go." I don't want to generalize, but a lot of men seem to have trouble dealing with a woman's very deep feelings. So they just say "let it go". They really don't know what else to say.

And it wasn't just part of the era that Adam lived in. After my divorce I was dating a guy. One time I told him about some of my things that my ex kept. He agreed to give me certain things in the divorce and he reneged (mostly out of spite). I was telling this guy about a painting that I wanted returned to me. It was very important to me, but my ex kept it.

The guy, Chris, said, "So let it go." I wanted to punch his lights out!!! :grin He had told ME about so many " bad" things which other people did to him and HE couldn't ever let go of the angry feelings.

I must say that some men can be real unfeeling jerks! When they can't deal with deep emotions, they just want the woman to sweep them under the rug.
I think know exactly what you mean. The line I heard was 'Just get past it." It's the same idea - it's the way men think, which makes it very hard for them to 'see' things as women do. I know it's a sexist remark. It's also true. Men and women have the same emotions. They manifest differently in each of them.

I haven't noticed this phrase from The Savage. I plan to go back and investigate it at some point. I don't have a hard time believing Adam would say something like that. It probably made sense to him as the character I've come to know in my mind.

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:47 pm

If Adam hadn't killed the first Indian, Ruth would probably have died and there would have been no story!

I find this episode somewhat melodramatic...sappy...whatever word you'd like to use to describe it. Once in a while I find myself in the mood, but it's not one I commonly go to for a Bonanza fix. I must, however, give it credit for being the first episode to stir up my protective feelings for Adam when I watched it as a girl. I remember being fiercely indignant because I felt Ruth was unnecessarily rough with him during the surgery, unjustly mocking when she called him "the great white warrior," and inexcusably rude to him throughout the next several scenes. :mad After all, all he'd done was save her life! Of course, her backstory went over my head back then.

I've always felt that Adam's "counseling" scene with Laura Dayton is one of is most inglorious moments. Not only is his advice bad, but it's out of character. The whole idea that nobody is to blame for the bad things that happened in her marriage is more harmful than helpful, and very honestly, I prefer to pretend that he never said the things he says in that scene. I expect more from my wise, understanding Adam.

I'd never thought to compare his advice to Laura with his advice to Ruth. It's an interesting point. I know I've felt that he was hasty in saying, "Now you can forget it," but I just attributed it to the fact that it's a 1-hour TV show (minus commercial time) and they simply didn't have time to deal properly with this woman's trauma. :grin To be honest, I had a rather similar experience only a handful of weeks ago; I had been silent for years about some painful things that took place in my girlhood, and I was able for the first time to articulate them out loud and cry over them. There was a certain healing that took place simply in the act of opening up. Certainly, talking doesn't make an old wound magically vanish; but it does provide a measure of release when you've bottled up your pain for years on end. In both these cases, I'm mainly surprised that Adam chooses to attribute so much healing power to talking when he himself is the king of sealing his lips and suffering in silence. :shrug
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 2”