Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 59
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1
Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019
Ponderosa Nightmares 2018 Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Feedback Corral Summer 2018 FFW 2018 Matchups

View all badges

Re: Episode 44 - THE SAVAGE

Post by Sharry » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:58 am

The romance aspect in this episode always felt cold and contrived to me. I know love never makes a lot of sense, and doesn't need to, but I never noticed supreme chemistry between Adam and Ruth. Even in the '60's I thought it was a little 'odd'. :yes

Terina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 169

Forum Moderator Super Bowl 2019 10th Anniversary Letter C 11th Anniversary
Step Up 2019 Thanksgiving 2018 Surprise Level 1 Summer 2018
Cinco de mayo 2018 BINGO Strike Games Edition Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Gutterball BINGO Quotes BINGO Search Emoticon Edition

View all badges

Post by Terina » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:32 pm

Sharry wrote:The romance aspect in this episode always felt cold and contrived to me. I know love never makes a lot of sense, and doesn't need to, but I never noticed supreme chemistry between Adam and Ruth. Even in the '60's I thought it was a little 'odd'. :yes
I believe it was all dream, a fevered, delirious dream.
These users thanked the author Terina for the post:
Sharry

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:42 pm

I go back and forth on this one, it's real, it's a dream, it's real.

IF it was real I think it was out of character for Adam to propose so fast. He was grateful for her help. His feelings were intense but likely based on something other than love. And being a Cartwright he couldn't resist helping a damsel in distress. But I think he was too wise to prosose to a woman he'd known only a few days. I think he'd offer to reintroduce her to civilization, allow her to be a guest at the Ponderosa, help her find a job. Once they got to know each other outside of their mountain isolation, he might have proposed. Or maybe Ruth would've decided to move on.

The reason I tend slightly more to the "fevered dream" side is Ruth's trunk. She said that the evil white men chased her and she ran and ran...and then ran BACK for her steamer trunk? How'd a young girl carry it all the way up that mountain :shrug

I think in his injured state, he dragged himself into her "home" and found the items in the trunk such as the diary and the Bible and he started to dream.. Maybe a trapper passing by tended him but then split when he saw the Shoshone.

Just my take on it. We'll never know for sure!

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:23 pm

I always really liked this one, particularly because I like sap. Anyone who's read my stories can tell you how I love writing sappy scenes. And I think my favorite sappy part in this is where Adam tells Ruth, "Now I know why my parents gave me my name. They must've known I belong in the Garden of Eden"! :rotfl

What does that, then, make Ruth? Eve? :rotfl
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

PJudith
Drover
Drover

Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:21 pm

I've always liked this episode despite that really annoying music in the background (well it annoyed me ) I read somewhere that it's called Water Music, forget the composer, probably someone who was tone deaf. :yes

I forgot that line about Adam and the Garden of Eden. That was astretch though. The place WAS beautiful but it was summer time. I think the winters up on that mountain would get pretty cold and brutal.

The writers used Bible verses in this episode that were actually used in a different way in the Bible. Ruth recites the "Whither thou goest, I will go" verse. It was said by Ruth but she said it to her mother-in-law Naomi. Ruth was a widow at that point. Of course the sentiment was the same. Ruth was going to accompany Adam.

But if he was planning on marrying Ruth he should've said, 'My parents would've named me Boaz (Ruth's second husband) if they knew I'd end up with a Ruth."

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Poetry Portfolio
David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 9
Board Navigation 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue
FFW 2019 Fun In The Old West FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:15 am

PJudith wrote:I've always liked this episode despite that really annoying music in the background (well it annoyed me ) I read somewhere that it's called Water Music, forget the composer, probably someone who was tone deaf. :yes

I forgot that line about Adam and the Garden of Eden. That was astretch though. The place WAS beautiful but it was summer time. I think the winters up on that mountain would get pretty cold and brutal.

The writers used Bible verses in this episode that were actually used in a different way in the Bible. Ruth recites the "Whither thou goest, I will go" verse. It was said by Ruth but she said it to her mother-in-law Naomi. Ruth was a widow at that point. Of course the sentiment was the same. Ruth was going to accompany Adam.

But if he was planning on marrying Ruth he should've said, 'My parents would've named me Boaz (Ruth's second husband) if they knew I'd end up with a Ruth."
PJUDITH!!! :laughing :laughing :laughing
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:42 pm

...if it isn't real, why do Ben and Hoss tell Adam if he finds her the Shoshone's faith will be destroyed and they'll kill her?

(not that that's one of Ben's better arguments, either for logic or trying to soothe a broken heart)
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

patina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 310

Forum Moderator Librarian Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Friends Gathering 2019
September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion
FFW 2019 Puzzlers FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Reader's Choice Level 1

View all badges

Post by patina » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:28 pm

I think Ruth was real but Adam, in his fevered state, completely imagined the romance with Ruth. She removed the arrow, fixed him up, and then went off with the Shoshone. Why would she or the Shoshone go to all of the trouble of buttoning Adam's shirt before they left?
Wicked Wit of the West
Boomers Librarian

PJudith
Drover
Drover

View all badges

Post by PJudith » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 pm

"I think Ruth was real, but Adam in his fevered state..." wasn't! :grin I'm thinking Ruth was a "fevered" dream after Adam took an arrow in the leg.

I could never get over the idea that Ruth had a big trunk with all her belongings. Just HOW did she carry it , running away from those bad men? :no

And it did seem like a perfect Adam type dream, it was all romance, the perfect woman, he proposed in a few days (guess he learned that trick from little brother Joe, lol)

January
Site Admin
Site Admin
Badges: 367

Administrator Admin Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019
David Canary Birthday 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 Springtime 2019

View all badges

Post by January » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 pm

The episode of the week is normally a topic that has not been discussed, but since a recent conversation with A Ponderosa Pine :pine who just finished watching it, had some interesting remarks that we'll talk about here.

OK, first of all we're not going to discuss what has already been discussed previously. These are new comments from a recent viewing by Pine.

For the first time ever, Pine noticed that Adam made a comment to Anna Lisa that was exactly like a comment he made to Laura Dayton. After Ruth tells Adam about what happened to her with the white men, Adam told her now that she told him, she could not let it go. He told Laura the same thing after she told him about what happened on her wedding night. Why is Adam so nonchalant in both cases? Has any of you picked up on that language? What would have been a better thing to say to those women? What was wrong with those writers ... and Pernell. :laughing

Another thing that was noticed by the tree is this: What would have happened if Adam had not killed that first Indian? Would the 2nd Indian have shot him? Would he have needed help from Ruth? Would he have not dreamed or experienced what happened? What do you think?

and lastly, "Who is Anna Lisa, before and after Bonanza"? I've never heard of her except in this episode. So spill the beans and tell me what you know.
Leave your front door and your back door open. Allow your thoughts to come and go. Just don't serve them tea.
-Shunryu Suzuki

Return to “Season 2”