Episode 53 - VENGEANCE

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
daisy60
Rancher
Rancher
Badges: 187
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Tried and True Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO Participant Summer 2021 BINGO Winner Summer 2021
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2021 Oscar Chat 2021 25,000 Posts St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021
13th Anniversary Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021
Christmas 2020 BINGO Participant xmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 BINGO Gutterball xmas 2020

View all badges

Re: Episode 53 - VENGEANCE

Post by daisy60 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:36 am

I love that scene in the barn. Joe told Hoss he was going to find Willy Twilight's brother. Joe thought he was alone in the barn and that Adam was there to stop him but he had the same plan as Joe! It's much better to have the two brothers together. Joe wanted to kill him right away but Adam knew he needed to let the law take care of him. :adam :joe
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post:
mumu74

mumu74
Drover
Drover
Badges: 14
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Former Forum Host 100 Posts 1,000 Posts Volunteer
Video PODs FanFic Writer Badge Holiday Decorations 2010
Lorne Greene's Birthday 2015 Surprise Surprise Surprise
Surprise Surprise

View all badges

Post by mumu74 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:27 am

daisy60 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:36 am
I love that scene in the barn. Joe told Hoss he was going to find Willy Twilight's brother. Joe thought he was alone in the barn and that Adam was there to stop him but he had the same plan as Joe! It's much better to have the two brothers together. Joe wanted to kill him right away but Adam knew he needed to let the law take care of him. :adam :joe
they sure didn't have the same mother but they were brother from Ben's blood, there was that special bond between them. That's so touching. Joe being the youngest did need his brother and Hoss sure had a very special place in his heart

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 9
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Lil Joe

Don't Blink 1,000 Posts Group Member Christmas 2020
Escape To Ponderosa PODs 100 Posts September Song 2020
New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:03 pm

Saw this today, second viewing. Good ep, enjoyed it. Like all the Adam/Joe scenes, with Joe listening to Adam and Adam taking charge. I didn't think Adam seemed overly worried about Hoss though, and in the scenes when Ben was worried, Adam just brushed off Joe's reaction, as 'he'll get over it'! Why didn't Mary go straight to the sheriff? She didn't look too cut up about Willie early in the ep either, only when she was talking to Ben later did she show any real sadness for losing her love.

Janet the Wicked
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Chat Host Hidden Treasures Lorne Greene Birthday 2021 Happy New Year 2021
New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020 Halloween Art 2020 Time For A Commercial Break 5
Talk Like A Pirate 2020 Break The Record eff 2018 September Song 2020 Good Housekeeping 2020
July 4 2020 Collectors' Corner 2020 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2020 Guess The Guest Star Sp. 2020

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:49 pm

I rather like it when Adam takes charge instead of standing around the sidelines making faces or snide remarks.
These users thanked the author Janet the Wicked for the post:
Oxgirl
Is that all you can think about at a time like this, cake???

All right. What's going on now?!!

Julianna
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 103
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Tried and True BINGO Participant Summer 2021 Oscar Chat 2021 Haiku Poem 2021
Curb Appeal St Patrick's Day Limerick 2021 5,000 Posts 13th Anniversary
Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020
BINGO Participant xmas 2020 BINGO Snail Christmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 Gift of Music 2020

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:03 pm
Saw this today, second viewing. Like all the Adam/Joe scenes, with Joe listening to Adam and Adam taking charge. I didn't think Adam seemed overly worried about Hoss though, and in the scenes when Ben was worried, Adam just brushed off Joe's reaction, as 'he'll get over it'!
I hear in Adam’s voice a reassuring tone to his dad. Adam is trying to keep everyone calm. I believe he says something like he’ll be okay, you know him.(meaning Joe) He implies that Joe gets all excited but after thinking about thinks he does better. And Adam is concerned about Hoss, but reasons his way through it. What can he do, except see he’s comfortable and follow Doctor’s orders and pray?
Try always to be kind. If you can do anything for someone kindness is always a good thing, that costs nothing.
:dg In memory of dougsgirl

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:54 am

Janet the Wicked wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:49 pm
I rather like it when Adam takes charge instead of standing around the sidelines making faces or snide remarks.
Yes, agree. I liked it when they got back to the Ponderosa and saw the dead guy and Adam took charge and pointed Joe to go over there and Joe did what he said. :thumbup

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:59 am

Julianna wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:24 pm
Oxgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:03 pm
Saw this today, second viewing. Like all the Adam/Joe scenes, with Joe listening to Adam and Adam taking charge. I didn't think Adam seemed overly worried about Hoss though, and in the scenes when Ben was worried, Adam just brushed off Joe's reaction, as 'he'll get over it'!
I hear in Adam’s voice a reassuring tone to his dad. Adam is trying to keep everyone calm. I believe he says something like he’ll be okay, you know him.(meaning Joe) He implies that Joe gets all excited but after thinking about thinks he does better. And Adam is concerned about Hoss, but reasons his way through it. What can he do, except see he’s comfortable and follow Doctor’s orders and pray?
Yes, I agree, he was a calming influence, trying to soothe both Joe and Ben. I guess he just didn't show much emotion compared to Joe, who was frantic about Hoss, and him and Ben were calmly sitting and eating their eggs with Hoss possibly dying upstairs, it just seemed a bit too controlled for me. Adam's facial expression didn't really give away any of his feelings of worry for Hoss. They seemed to leave Hoss alone a lot too and, after the doctor had said he could die, I was surprised they weren't by his bedside every minute.
These users thanked the author Oxgirl for the post:
Julianna

Julianna
Cowboy
Cowboy

Organizing Secrets Happy New Year 2021 New Year's Eve Chat 2020/2021 Christmas 2020
BINGO Participant xmas 2020 BINGO Snail Christmas 2020 Christmas Bauble 2020 Gift of Music 2020

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:17 pm

That’s how it was written. Maybe you can understand Pernell’s point of view about some of the writing. Adam did know he had to show little fear and concern to hold things together for Pa and Joe. He had to control himself. He was the responsible son. He kept his feelings inside in reserve. Many times you could see emotion in the eyes.@Oxgirl I think Pernell played the character the way they wanted him too.
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post (total 2):
OxgirlTahoe Lee
Try always to be kind. If you can do anything for someone kindness is always a good thing, that costs nothing.

Oxgirl
Drover
Drover

New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Oxgirl » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 am

Julianna wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:17 pm
That’s how it was written. Maybe you can understand Pernell’s point of view about some of the writing. Adam did know he had to show little fear and concern to hold things together for Pa and Joe. He had to control himself. He was the responsible son. He kept his feelings inside in reserve. Many times you could see emotion in the eyes.@Oxgirl I think Pernell played the character the way they wanted him too.
Yes, I do see. It's not a criticism of PR's acting, I think the contrast between the over-emotional Joe and the reserved Adam is interesting and it wouldn't be as effective if they were both running around hysterically. :thumbup

Julianna
Cowboy
Cowboy

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:42 am

Oxgirl wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:09 am
Julianna wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:17 pm
Yes, I do see. It's not a criticism of PR's acting, I think the contrast between the over-emotional Joe and the reserved Adam is interesting and it wouldn't be as effective if they were both running around hysterically. :thumbup
Yes, and actually Joe is very much like Adam as time goes by, but less mature and less reserved in his thinking . Most people believe it is due to the different childhoods they had. If you get a chance watch how PR plays Sam in Ride Lonesome or O’Hara in Have Sword Will Duel. Those characters are much more free and less confined than Adam. But Adam is a hero and has responsibilities and they do not. I think PR grew tired of Adam because as some have stated, Adam had to be the responsible brother. Personally I think it would be hard to write for 4 characters all the time. The premise of the show was that each character would be featured a different week and not be necessarily in each episode. According to Dortort that was changed due to the audience liking the whole family. I do like the Cartwrights that way too. So when Adam wasn’t there I felt like something was missing and the stories got routine. I am not a Candy fan and although he fits in, the stories aren’t that great anymore. I find aside from the ML written stories I can rarely name the later episodes.
These users thanked the author Julianna for the post:
Oxgirl

Return to “Season 2”