Episode 35 - BADGE WITHOUT HONOR

Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 35 - BADGE WITHOUT HONOR

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:26 pm

Date: September 24, 1960

Summary: Adam is rescued from an ambush by Gerald Eskith, a U.S. Marshall who is on business in Virginia City. Eskith is looking for Jason Blaine, a man who is married to a close friend of the Cartwrights, claiming that he needs to take him to California to be a trial witness.

Written by: John Twist
Directed by: Arthur Lubin
Guest Stars: Dan Duryea (Gerald Eskith), Christine White (Mariette Blaine), Fred Beir (Jason Blaine)

badge without honor.gif
badge without honor.gif (5.3 MiB) Viewed 2414 times

Slideshow images courtesy of Tracy

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Re: Episode 35 - BADGE WITHOUT HONOR

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Early episodes can be hit or miss, but this is one I find interesting. It has more complex characters than usual—they aren't black and white. It's like a low-key thriller, the whole drama with Jason and Eskith and the Murdoch gang...and the last few minutes are so intense.

I like seeing people actually use those epees, and I'm intrigued by the thought of the Cartwright boys having an adopted sister. I like the way Mariette and Adam interact. She runs to him when she's in trouble; he reads her like a book and calls her honey. :hearts It's so sweet.
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 309
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:48 am

PlatoofthePonderosa wrote:Early episodes can be hit or miss, but this is one I find interesting. It has more complex characters than usual—they aren't black and white. It's like a low-key thriller, the whole drama with Jason and Eskith and the Murdoch gang...and the last few minutes are so intense.

I like seeing people actually use those epees, and I'm intrigued by the thought of the Cartwright boys having an adopted sister. I like the way Mariette and Adam interact. She runs to him when she's in trouble; he reads her like a book and calls her honey. :hearts It's so sweet.
I also think Eskith (and Mr. Kyle in "A House Divided) are two of the most interesting characters who have multi-dimensions to their villainy. But these were early episodes which focused on the draw of Duryea and Mitchell and other guest stars since none of the C's were well-known actors. And I adore Eskith's admission that love has done him in -- that the only person he was ever in love with was himself! It would be funny in another situation.

As for Mariette, I never thought much of Christine White even though I did a guest star POD on her and the other guest stars in this episode a few years ago. (Her big claim to fame was her platonic relationship/friendship with James Dean -- she spoke about him at many events honoring him. And White was extremely religious which is why their close friendship was platonic.) Her best role, IMO, was as Shatner's wife in the Twilight Zone episode about the gremlin. Mariette, to me, seemed mentally off-kilter from the beginning. And when she flirts with Eskith, rolling her eyes and playing coy, it's almost a burlesque, it's so ridiculous. As for her relationship with Adam, it's a good thing they aren't related or it would border on pathological. He is the only one she kisses on the mouth when she says goodbye and she is far too dependent and clingy -- almost possessive -- in regards to him. Why not go to Ben? That would make more sense. After all, he's her "father figure" as Ernest T. Bass would say. :grin But Adam is protective and sweet to her. Mariette makes my skin crawl, she's so creepy.

And she is an interesting character and both Pt29646 and I have written WHN stories focused on her but with different takes on her character. I've played up the histrionic side and Pt emphasized her sweetness.

Edited in: This is the link on White in that POD, She is on two pages but this is the first: https://www.bonanzaboomers.com/forums/vi ... e&start=30
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
PlatoofthePonderosa
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 35

Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3
4th of July 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday
Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A

View all badges

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:21 pm

:laughing Mariette IS a little weird, but I have always just chalked that up to awkward acting. I always skip the scene with her and Eskith because it's too painful watch. But I've never seen Christine White in anything else. Is she considered a good actress?
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Forum Moderator Bonanza Ballads Level 8 Ponderosa Prospects Bonanza Ballads Level 7
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5 Springtime 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Whether someone is a good actor or not is a matter of opinion, but I did find this on Wikipedia: White was active in summer stock theatre, including work at the Cape Cod Playhouse. She was named Most Outstanding Actress at CCP for her portrayal of Millie in Picnic. That seems to be about it as far as kudos and awards. She seems to be more of a journeyman actor.

Most of my info on her and James Dean came from a bio of him I was reading at the time I did the POD; White was quoted many times in the book and Dean apparently thought she was talented and had great promise. :shrug Who's to say?

ellen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 122

Forum Moderator Zazzle Buyer Springtime 2019 Oscar Chat 2019
Out Of The Blue Step Up 2019 Christmas 2018 Thanksgiving 2018
Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Without A Trace 8 Surprise Level 3 Behind The Scenes
Coffee with the Cartwrights Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018

View all badges

Post by ellen » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:36 am

The one who makes me shiver is Dan Duryea as Gerald Eskith. His name, his mannerisms, even (especially!) his VOICE are creepy!
:ellen Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens. Then everybody disagrees. - Will Rogers

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:39 am

ellen wrote:The one who makes me shiver is Dan Duryea as Gerald Eskith. His name, his mannerisms, even (especially!) his VOICE are creepy!
Yes, he is...unctuous.

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:57 pm

He did so many characters on so many shows ... but this is, without a doubt, the most indelible bad guy of all.
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Ok, I rewatched this episode and I see I’m not the only one who thought Mariette’s relationship with Adam a bit strange. I can understand her appreciation for helping her husband but that was enough to make most husbands jealous—not that Adam really needed to have that problem (yet again)! I can’t help but think there’s a backstory... . The again maybe it was me, but Jason did seem to want to get on that stagecoach afterward!

As an aside it’s interesting seeing a very young James Hong, who went on to play many roles over the years (including Mr. Ping—Po’s father from the Kung Fu Panda series)!

Return to “Season 2”