Bonanza Season 2 Episodes
TNTrue
Badges: 1
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

New Member Post

View all badges

Re: Episode 48 - THE COURTSHIP

Post by TNTrue » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm

Gillie wrote: But I could never understand Hoss' combination of refusing to believe that Helen was a gambling addict and/or his declarations that even if it was true, it wouldn't make any difference to him.
I thought that was classic Hoss logic, actually. :laughing He's leading with his emotions there, and that's not conducive to rational thought.
patina wrote:I so want to slap Ben upside the head when he tears up the IOU and tells both Adam and Joe to not say anything to Hoss. Really, Ben? He's willing to risk the Ponderosa because his son is in love with a compulsive gambler?
Ditto on the whumping Ben upside the head thing. I think it's good for parents to step back and let kids deal with the consequences for their own actions, but the idea is to let them make mistakes with costs you can absorb! There are limits, and that's way beyond them.
PJudith wrote: In a similar vein I always wonder about the paper money they often used. Back then most dollars were coins.
The US Government wasn't printing paper money, but banks did. As viewers, we probably couldn't tell the difference between a government issued $10 bill from back then, and one issued by a local bank. Although I don't know if they were much in use in Nevada. There were plenty in San Francisco, but they were usually a local thing -- you and the person you were dealing with both had to trust the bank in question. Travelers would want to have gold on hand, but since Ben does a lot of business in Virginia City, and is paying off a Virginia City businessman, bank notes are a reasonable explanation... this time.

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 am

TNTrue wrote:
The US Government wasn't printing paper money, but banks did. As viewers, we probably couldn't tell the difference between a government issued $10 bill from back then, and one issued by a local bank. Although I don't know if they were much in use in Nevada. There were plenty in San Francisco, but they were usually a local thing -- you and the person you were dealing with both had to trust the bank in question. Travelers would want to have gold on hand, but since Ben does a lot of business in Virginia City, and is paying off a Virginia City businessman, bank notes are a reasonable explanation... this time.
It wasn't until after the Civil War that the government standardized money so it would all look the same and be backed by the National Treasury; the govt. set up mints about the country for printing. But before this, as you said, banks printed their own money and apparently so could big ranchers as many times, especially in "The Countess", Ponderosa script is referenced as to how the men were paid, Ben's wealth giving it credence. Apparently Ben and the boys printed up "money" in the basement. (Or root cellar! :grin )
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am

Aa far as Helen Layton, as soon as she sees Adam, Helen seems to know her secret is -- or will soon be -- revealed (Same old flatterer.) That's why she does damage control with Hoss right after they arrive at the Ponderosa and Ben wants to talk to Hoss. I know it appears that Helen MUST have known things would come crashing down about her ears but she is a compulsive gambler and all she wants is the next fix and that's all she thinks of. Her past behavior of using men is shown in how she uses Hoss and if she can just get him to marry her...well, Helen must feel her gambling would be bankrolled for life!

But I like this episode, especially when Hoss knocks Adam down and then Adam clings to the bar to get up -- not that Joe fares any better!
These users thanked the author Adamant for the post:
TNTrue
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm

As far as the show goes with money, they tend to use more coins etc. the first year and much of the second. They seem to get more careless as the seasons roll by their accuracy diminishes.
I like this episode even though the "gentle giant" isn't so gentle with his brothers.

Return to “Season 2”