Episode 28 - SAN FRANCISCO

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 28 - SAN FRANCISCO

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Date: April 2, 1960

Summary: Ben, Hoss and Joe deliver a herd to San Francisco and in the process get shanghaied on the Barbary Coast. Hop Sing and all his cousins to the rescue.

Written by: Thomas Thompson
Directed by: Arthur Lubin
Guest Stars: Quick Buck Katie...Kathleen Crowley Alexander Pendelton...David White Hop Sing...Victor Sen Yung Cut Rate Joe...Murvyn Vye Captain Shark...Richard Deacon Johnny...Robert Nichols Hamp...O. Z. Whitehead Sergeant...Stephen Roberts Cousin # 3...James Hong Bartender...Herb Vigran Big Henchman...Michael Ross Little Henchman...Donnelly Rhodes Busthead Brannigan...Tor Johnson Bob Miles...(uncredited stunt double) Bill Clark...(uncredited stunt double)

gif image courtesy of Gillie

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 185
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator December Delectables Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 7 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion

View all badges

Re: Episode 28 - SAN FRANCISCO

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 pm

My sister just pointed out that the name "Cut Rate Joe" sounds an awful lot like "Cartwright, Joe" when it's said fast. Hmm...coincidence or done on purpose? :shrug
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
littlejoenice
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 pm

Maybe a bit of both. I find it strange they'd name the character Joe in the first place, seeing as they had a Joe. I mean, how hard could it be to think up another name?!? Like how about, "Cut Rate Jack", or "Cut Rate Chuck", or something like that. That's where part of me wonders if it was planned that way, by the fact the character is named Joe, and not something else. Good observation by your sister!! :thumbup Is she a Bonanza, (and maybe a :joe ,) gal too?
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 185
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator December Delectables Fan Fiction Reviewer Level 7 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2
Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1
Board Navigation 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion

View all badges

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:18 pm

Cartwright fan. wrote:Is she a Bonanza, (and maybe a :joe ,) gal too?
She's a Bonanza gal, but not a :joe gal...she's another :hoss gal!
These users thanked the author CowgirlAtHeart for the post:
Cartwright fan.
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Cartwright fan.
Drover
Drover
Badges: 89
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss.

David's Birthday 2018 The Secret Word 2 Fun With Captions Level 2 Words Words Words
Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pernell Birthday 2018 Without A Trace 7 St. Patrick's Day 2018
Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018 BINGO Gutterball Games Edition BINGO Challenge Games Edition Academy Awards Chat 2018
Guess The Guest Star Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Hidden Treasures Boomers Contribution

View all badges

Post by Cartwright fan. » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:21 pm

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:
Cartwright fan. wrote:Is she a Bonanza, (and maybe a :joe ,) gal too?
She's a Bonanza gal, but not a :joe gal...she's another :hoss gal!
:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer
Awesome!!! :applause1 I love your sister already!!!! :hoss :laughing
These users thanked the author Cartwright fan. for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart
"Anybody can have a child but that doesn't make him a father!!!" -Hoss Cartwright- "A Dream to Dream"
"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right." -Billy Graham-

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:55 am

This is a great episode. Pa warns Hoss and Joe to be careful so they're not shanghaied and it's pa who gets shanghaied. I love when Hop Sing takes on a role along with many cousins as rescuer. We know from Michael [on Johnny Carson] that Lorne jumped in the water and lost his hairpiece and his hand came up, grabbed it and put it on crooked before coming back up.

littlejoenice
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 153
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben and Adam

Reader's Choice Level 5 Bonanza Ballads Level 12 NaNoWriMo 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4
Michael Landon Birthday 2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2019 Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3
Bonanza Ballads Level 11 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019
Poetry Portfolio David Canary Birthday 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 10 BINGO Strike Summer 2019

View all badges

Post by littlejoenice » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:23 pm

CowgirlAtHeart wrote:My sister just pointed out that the name "Cut Rate Joe" sounds an awful lot like "Cartwright, Joe" when it's said fast. Hmm...coincidence or done on purpose? :shrug
I never noticed that. I'll have to watch it again to hear it. :grin
These users thanked the author littlejoenice for the post:
CowgirlAtHeart
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What you're saying is that at your age, you don't know the difference between a girl and a horse?

Ben to Little Joe in "Day of the Dragon."

Janet the Wicked
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 6
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Ben

Don't Blink PODs Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Amazon Buyer
100 Posts New Member Post

View all badges

Post by Janet the Wicked » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Watched this episode on TV Land today. First time I'd seen it. I laughed and I laughed. Ben dropping through the trap door was quite the site. Then he is pawed at, dragged, pushed and shoved around and then they put him in black clothing. What a trip this episode is! I couldn't quite figure out why Joe felt it necessary to jump headlong into the ropes on the ship. Why not just use the gangplank?
I didn't realize that was Tor Johnson grappling with Dan Blocker. Fascinating stuff.
The color in this episode is phenomenal. I don't know why it looks different. I suppose the lighting of the sets at night.
But definitely a laugh riot. They all have black eyes in the end, even Hop Sing. I'm gonna tune into this one again real soon.
Bless thee, Adam - The Hopefuls

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 144
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

December Delectables Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party
Zazzle Buyer BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Search Valentine's Day Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 pm

I laugh a lot watching this also. Ben is worried that Hoss and Joe would be shanghaied but it was him that was! Hop Sing and many of his cousins were great to have along on the trip. They were heroes. :ha

ellie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 170
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Forum Moderator Christmas Card Team Friends Gathering 2019 September Song 2019
BINGO After Party BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Host Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Host Valentine's Day Amazon Buyer Super Bowl 2019 Surprise Level 2
Oktoberfest Recipe 2018 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Cinco de mayo 2018

View all badges

Post by ellie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

I love to speculate on the small changes that would occur in this episode had Ben's backstory of a life at sea already been set.

Return to “Season 1”