Episode 18 - A HOUSE DIVIDED

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 18 - A HOUSE DIVIDED

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Date: January 16, 1960

Summary: Though he tries with all his might, Ben cannot keep the politics of the Civil War out of his home…nor can he keep it from dividing his sons. Frederick Kyle, a man with a secret agenda, arrives on the scene and adds fuel to the fire.

Written by: Al C. Ward
Directed by: Lewis Allen
Guest Stars: Frederick Kyle...Cameron Mitchel Regis...Stacy Harris Gorman...John Anderson Lily Van Cleet-Kyle...Marianne Stewart Henessy...Howard Wendell Tom...Dan Riss Northern Miner...Mickey Simpson Southern Miner...John Locke Sheriff...Kenneth MacDonald Mine Owner...Stafford Repp Bob Miles...(uncredited)

Slideshow images courtesy of ansinico
These users thanked the author Episode Guide for the post:
January

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 62
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3
Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018

View all badges

Re: Episode 18 - A HOUSE DIVIDED

Post by Sharry » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:48 pm

I enjoy this episode for a host of reasons, but the scene in which Adam rides away vowing never to return is a favorite not because of the topic but because Adam was so vested in the moment. He was angry, he showed it, and watching him ride away was not only shocking to his family but to me as well. We all know he came back that time, but it's almost a harbinger of things to come. It's a brief scene overall, yet it feels very powerful to me. :sob
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post (total 2):
JanuarySierras

debpet2
Cowboy
Cowboy
Badges: 68

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary September Song 2019 BINGO Spare Summer 2019 BINGO Booby Summer 2019
BINGO Gutterball Summer 2019 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Fun With Captions Level 2 BINGO After Party
BINGO Search Round-Up Game BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019
Don't Blink BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Winner Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's

View all badges

Post by debpet2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:58 pm

That is a powerful scene. Adam's line to the effect that either he or Joe has to go and Joe needs their pa more than he does always gets to me. It shows how Adam was willing to make a sacrifice for the sake of his family. And that moment when Adam tosses the bedroll to Joe, Joe catches it and they both smile is a nice way of showing that they are back together again.

debpet2 :adam
These users thanked the author debpet2 for the post (total 2):
SharrySierras

daisy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Badges: 143
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Joe/Michael

Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Bonanza's 60th Anniversary BINGO Line Summer 2019 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 3
Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 BINGO After Party Zazzle Buyer
BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Saint Patrick's Day 2019 BINGO Search Valentine's Day
Oscar Chat 2019 BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019 15,000 Posts

View all badges

Post by daisy60 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 am

The scene in the barn when Joe tries to fight with Adam caused many fanfics about discord between the two of them. This was only for the script. I do love that scene when Joe catches Adam's bedroll. That shows the comradeship and playfulness on the set between brothers.
These users thanked the author daisy60 for the post (total 2):
SharrySierras

showdown
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 13

Time For A Commercial Break 3 The Reading Club September Song 2017 Readin', Writin' ...
Hidden Treasures Snail BINGO Quotes Stepping Up 2017 100 Posts
PODs The Reading Club Halloween Tales 2016 September Song 2016
School Daze

View all badges

Post by showdown » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:45 am

It´s a rare scene to see Adam in such an angry mood. Actually he is the one with good nerves and tries always being calmly. Just smart. But I like it when he shows such emotions.
These users thanked the author showdown for the post (total 2):
SharrySierras

Sierra Girl
Drover
Drover
Badges: 32

Countdown to 1,111,111 Group Member Like us on fb 100 Posts
1,000 Posts Boomers Million PODs FanFic Writer Badge
Fan Fic Fun Don't Blink BINGO Snail BINGO Search
BINGO Special Guess The Episode Cartsmurf Hidden Treasures September Song 2015

View all badges

Post by Sierra Girl » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:25 pm

It is a great scene when Adam leaves. It's touching because despite their differences it shows Adam still cares deeply by being the older brother and saying their pa needs Joe more. And that in itself is quite heart-rending as it isn't necessarily true.

And it's also sad that he pushes his pa away in order to leave.

I can watch that scene over and over.
These users thanked the author Sierra Girl for the post (total 2):
SharrySierras

AdamCult2b
Drover
Drover
Badges: 58

Sadie Hawkins Day 2018 Summer 2018 Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2017 Without A Trace 5 Stepping Up 2017 Christmas 2016
The Coloring Book Dan Blocker Birthday 2016 Fun With Art Sadie Hawkins Day 2016
Group Member Like us on fb 5-star review 100 Posts

View all badges

Post by AdamCult2b » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 pm

PR could show his different aching skills. It is always so nice to watch the scene with the bedroll.That smirk on Adam's face is so great :thumbup
The only thing one could 'claim' is that they could have made two episodes of this .
These users thanked the author AdamCult2b for the post (total 2):
SharrySierras
It may be the way to tame a shrew but not a Woman of Fire
A man who hold on to his convictions takes courage (The Ride)

Sharry
Drover
Drover
Badges: 62

Fall Writing Challenge 2019 Warm & Fuzzy Fall 2019 Reader's Choice Level 4 Reader's Choice Level 3
Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 1 Amazon Buyer
Super Bowl 2019 11th Anniversary Winter 2018/2019 Ponderosa Nightmares 2018
Surprise Level 2 Surprise Level 1 Break The Record eff 2018 Oktoberfest Recipe 2018

View all badges

Post by Sharry » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Sierra Girl wrote:It is a great scene when Adam leaves. It's touching because despite their differences it shows Adam still cares deeply by being the older brother and saying their pa needs Joe more. And that in itself is quite heart-rending as it isn't necessarily true.

And it's also sad that he pushes his pa away in order to leave.

I can watch that scene over and over.
Yes, all of that. The look on Ben's face was utterly devastating. Adam may have been right in a more literal sense, but his advantage in years over Joe along with his strength of character didn't necessarily lessen his own 'need' for his father either. He must have realized that after he cooled down and had his talk with Joe by the lake. It didn't seem to take that much to remind him that Joe just might have needed him also. :ranch
These users thanked the author Sharry for the post (total 2):
Sierra GirlSierras

Drifter
Drover
Drover
Badges: 18

Bonanza's 60th Anniversary Summer Reading 2019 September Song 2019 Ponderosa Prospects
1,000 Posts 100 Posts Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019
PODs Oscar Chat 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Christmas 2018
Hidden Treasures Halloween 2018 Time For A Commercial Break 4 Surprise Level 1

View all badges

Post by Drifter » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:10 pm

i didn’t quite understand why Kyle sought Little Joe and how he knew of him. I can assume he had a relationship with his mother before she met Ben, but how did he know she had a son so many years later?

I also don’t quite know why he needed Joe. Kyle was able to do business in other cities by himself. I don’t see how this was different.

Still a strong family episode nonetheless.

chezza
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot
Badges: 2

FanFic Writer Badge New Member Post

View all badges

Post by chezza » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:05 am

Beware of strange men who show up with pictures of your mother. Never a good sign. :) Kyle calls it a photo which it clearly is not.

I wonder if the writers in choosing the theme for this episode were thinking at all about the United State's escalating involvement in Vietnam and the divisions that was causing among Americans. Differing beliefs about Vietnam broke apart many families. But perhaps this 1960 episode predated most of the anti-war sentiment.

Re: the conflict between Adam and Joe. I think it's rooted in the essential differences of who they are as people rather than external factors. I believe the external factors (ie. the Civil War) are just triggers for the already existing tension. Adam became an adult long before he should have. While Joe was afforded a rather carefree adolescent-type life even into adulthood. It's no wonder their completely different perspectives lead to some friction. I believe Joe sees Adam as controlling and judgmental. An unfair impediment to Joe's pursuit of enjoyment. And Adam sees Joe as too often irresponsible and lacking self-discipline. A worry or a diversion from Adam's busy life of practical tasks. You throw into that mix their allegiance to their very different, long dead and therefore idealized mothers, and you create a situation of men who take pride in their differences and have a desire to stand up for their particular heritage within a complicated family. (The writers really seemed to emphasize the effect of having different mothers more in season one than the later seasons.)

But those tensions are similar to the type found among all siblings. Not anything that can undermine real love and family loyalty. Adam didn't make it far in a whole night's ride, did he? Was he waiting for someone to catch up to him? Hoping to be coaxed back? Joe didn't have to say much for Adam to turn around.
These users thanked the author chezza for the post:
PlatoofthePonderosa

Return to “Season 1”