Episode 15 - THE LAST HUNT

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 15 - THE LAST HUNT

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Date: December 19, 1959

Summary: Hoss and Joe encounter a pregnant Indian and deliver her baby in the wilderness.

Written by: : Donald S. Sanford
Directed by: Christian Nyby
Guest Stars: Shoshone Girl...Chana Eden Jason Kyle...Steven Terrell Doctor...Carlyle Mitchell Sumner Kyle...Raymond Bailey Hop Sing...Victor Sen Yung.

gif images courtesy of Bejules

PJudith
Drover
Drover
Badges: 36
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

BINGO Clue Round-Up Game 11th Anniversary Without A Trace 8 The Secret Word 2
Fun with Captions Level 1 BINGO Snail Games Edition Olympic Bronze 2018 Anniversary Puzzler
Anniversary Don't Blink 10th Anniversary Letter S Anniversary Secret Word Anniversary Poem or Artwork
Step Up To 2018 Christmas 2017 Not So Guilty Pleasures Thanksgiving To Remember

View all badges

Re: Episode 15 - THE LAST HUNT

Post by PJudith » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:58 pm

For an episode with "last" in the title, it sure had a lot of firsts.

It was the first time we saw Hoss play midwife. It was the first time we saw that the Cartwrights are not subject to hypothermia like other mere mortals. Really, shoulder deep in frigid water in winter! I hope they brought a dry set of clothes or else packed a clothes dryer in one of their saddlebags.

It was the first time we saw how tough Native American women were. Travelling on foot in the mountains, in the snow when she was about to give birth and a few hours after giving birth making a run for it down those mountains! The Israeli born Chana Eden was beautiful but a real stretch as a Shoshone. It was one of the first times we saw "any girl with long black hair can pass for Native American in the right clothes."

It was one of the first time we saw the uglier side of prejudice in the west. Boy, "Milburn Drysdale" was a real pill in this episode. Who wouldn't accept a lovely girl like that as a daughter-in-law? I know Ben would have. Too bad she didn't fall in love with a Cartwright. That way she would not have died from exposure and probably pneumonia.

On a lighter note, it was for me the first time I realized how way sexier and cooler Joe looked in his green jacket than the oversized horse blanket he wore in this episode! Sure it was probably warmer but no chick magnet. I mean, my great GRANDmother had a coat like that! :grin

PlatoofthePonderosa
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 34
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 Step Up 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 3 4th of July 2018
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 Pernell Birthday 2018 Bonanza Ballads Level 1 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 Lorne Greene Birthday Anniversary Don't Blink
Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5 Anniversary Poem or Artwork 10th Anniversary Letter A Anniversary Secret Word

View all badges

Re: Episode 15 - THE LAST HUNT

Post by PlatoofthePonderosa » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:55 pm

I really enjoyed watching this last night. After Joe and Hoss get back to the Ponderosa, the episode is so-so, but the first two thirds of the episode are just delightful. Even with the drama of the pregnant woman and the Shoshone warriors, you get a sense of what ordinary Cartwright hunting trips must have been like. Hoss and Joe are so comfortable around each other and so "wood-wise" with all their snares and bird calls and tracking skills. And any big strong Cartwright man holding a baby is just too cute. :thud

PJudith pointed out that this was Hoss's first time helping a woman give birth, but it certainly wouldn't be the last. Of all the strange men one might happen upon in the woods while in need of a stand-in midwife, Hoss is probably the best. That girl was lucky. Can you imagine what a disaster it might have been if Joe had been alone?
Joe: Hey, where's the Plato of the Ponderosa this morning?
Ben: If you're referring to your brother Adam, he left on TIME.

(Season 6, "Between Heaven and Earth")

Return to “Season 1”