Episode 9 - MR. HENRY COMSTOCK

Bonanza Season 1 Episodes
Episode Guide
Bonanza Episodes
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Hoss

Episode 9 - MR. HENRY COMSTOCK

Post by Episode Guide » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Date: November 7, 1959

Summary: Henry Comstock claims ownership of land where gold is discovered. Joe is attracted to Saratuchee, the daughter of Chief Winnemuca and he takes her to a dance. Chief W comes to the dance to take his daughter home.

Written by: David Dortort
Directed by: John Brahm
Guest Stars: Jack Carson (Henry T.P. Comstock); Joanna Sages (Princess Saratuchee); Terence De Marney (Pat O'Reilly); Jack Mathers (Heck Turner); Richard Cutting (Old Virginny); Bruce Gordon (Winnemucca); Charles Wagenheim (Pike); John Dierkes (Pat McLaughlin); Abel Fernandez (Lean Knife).

Slideshow gif images courtesy of Bejules

CowgirlAtHeart
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 176
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Little Joe

Forum Moderator Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 2 Game Night 12 ~ 2019 Level 1 Board Navigation 2019
Bonanza Ballads Level 6 Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Puzzlers
BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game Bonanza Ballads Level 5
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Reader's Choice Level 3 Saint Patrick's Day 2019

View all badges

Re: Episode 9 - MR. HENRY COMSTOCK

Post by CowgirlAtHeart » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Jack Carson does a fantastic job in this episode as the crafty-but-always-in-trouble Mr. Henry Comstock! I like how this episode explains the naming of the Comstock Lode and Virginia City. (The way it happens in the episode isn't too far from the historical truth, either!)

The Cartwrights, on the whole, are terrific. I love the scene where they take turns shooting to scare the men who are chasing Comstock. I also like the scene where Ben and Adam show up at the dance and settle the trouble with Winnemucca. (Of course Joe should never have taken Saratuchee to that dance. But he's Joe, so he does. :grin And he's so darn adorable throughout the whole episode!)

One thing that bothers me is how the Cartwrights keep joking about the women who are at the dance. I know women were scarce in the West at that time, and the episode writers must have been trying to make a realistic story, but I think all the jokes about the women's size and appearance are insensitive. They would never allow jokes like that on TV nowadays!
What, are you practicing to be a burglar, bettin' that kind of money on a two-card draw?Joe, "Queen High"

Adamant
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Badges: 302
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam/Any PR character

Forum Moderator Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion Bonanza Ballads Level 5
Springtime 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 4 Amazon Buyer Bonanza Ballads Level 3
Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Fun With Captions Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 1
Bonanza Ballads Level 2 11th Anniversary Step Up 2019 Dan's Birthday 2018

View all badges

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 pm

I enjoy this episode for the history lesson and for the further development of the C's. I also like to see Adam dancing with the "big" woman. Personally, I don't find Hoss' assessment of the women insulting. The women are raw -- the one Adam dances with drinks as hard as the men do -- and they are big. They survive in a mining camp and can't be delicate flowers.

Now it may be that if I were a big woman, I would find their talk insulting but I don't. In "The Way of Aaron," Hoss and Joe want Adam to take the sister with "the big bustle." That could be seen as insulting to large women as well. Hoss himself was often the target of his brothers' insults. At the beginning of "The Search" when Joe is sawing, he asks for Hoss' help and Hoss tells him that if he put some hog fat on the saw, it would move easier. Joe says, "Remind me to render you down some time." Adam also insults Hoss due to his size in "Song in the Dark," when he suggests Hoss eat more to get larger so that he can get jobs raising a barn (with a lever.)

I have watched TV shows today that are even more sarcastic and insulting about heavy people, both male and female despite today's attitude about accepting one's size no matter how large one is. So, no, television hasn't become more "sensitive" to weight issues on the whole although "Mike and Molly" helped quite a bit.
We never really grow up; we just learn how to act in public--anonymous

RedShirt
Drover
Drover
Badges: 29
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam Cartwright

Feedback Corral Summer 2018 Pernell Birthday 2018 FFW 2018 Title Search
FFW 2018 Matchups FFW 2018 Fabulous Fan Fiction Cinco de mayo 2018 Pie Recipe for Pi Day 2018
Stuffed In Chat 2018 Meet & Greet Chat 2018 1,000 Posts FanFic Writer Badge
Olympics Silver 2018 Anniversary Don't Blink Anniversary Word Puzzle Anniversary Pick 1,2,3,4,5

View all badges

Post by RedShirt » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:45 pm

I don't find the comments about women insulting. But then again I've got "Lonesome Dove" to compare to. You want nasty comments on
women, that's where you look. There weren't a lot of single women around the frontier's cutting (or bleeding) edges, especially not
delicate ones old enough to be on their own. Stereotypical rancher's daughters aside, a lot of women who had married into pioneering
families, or been born into them, accepted two things: they had to work twice as hard as a man to be thought half as good (that hasn't
changed a bit), and if they didn't want to be treated like property they needed to be tougher than whang leather.

Lots of women wound up widowed (or grass-widowed) on the frontier; without a certain set of skills, they often had few choices about
how to make a living indeed. But some turned out to be amazingly good at unexpected roles anyhow. Here's one such example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Williams

Owen Wister's Virginian and his pal who swap the babies around in their blankets during a dance pulled one of the tamer pranks
in cow-country. We never see anything quite that heart-attack-inducing at the hands of Cartwrights (even Candy), but we get the
idea, based on how hard the boys aggravate one another over various female acquaintances, that they knew and fell in line with
how the times and place they lived in shaped society's outlook on women.

They just spit in its eye as often as they could.
For that, I'm grateful to 'em, one and all.
These users thanked the author RedShirt for the post:
Tahoe Lee
A gun is only a tool, like your jackknife; no better 'n no worse than the man who handles it. Any man can pull a trigger. It's not hard. But it takes a big man not to pull one. -- Adam Cartwright

Julianna
Drover
Drover
Badges: 51
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 Epilogue FFW 2019 Puzzlers
FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party BINGO Spare Round-Up Game BINGO Search Round-Up Game
BINGO Clue Round-Up Game BINGO Gutterball Round-Up Game Springtime 2019 Saint Patrick's Day 2019
BINGO Spare Valentine's Day BINGO Search Valentine's Day BINGO Gutterball Valentine's Valentine's Day 2019

View all badges

Post by Julianna » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:15 pm

This episode is okay. It really is not a favorite of mine. i do like 2 scenes- The one where the cartwrights show off their markmanships and at the dance when Pa and Adam show up. i love Hoss' line "Adam hasn't got to dance yet with Adam's roll of his eyes! so funny! The rest is so full of holes! Really Saratooche can make a dress in a couple of hours with no thread and no scissors? Just so silly.

Lisal
Ranch Hand
Ranch Hand
Badges: 42
Who is your favorite Bonanza character?: Adam

Bonanza Ballads Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 4 1,000 Posts BINGO Snail Round-Up Game
Pernell Roberts Birthday 2019 FFW 2019 Discussion FFW 2019 GAMES BINGO After Party
Reader's Choice Level 3 Reader's Choice Level 2 Springtime 2019 FanFic Writer Badge
Oscar Chat 2019 Lorne Greene Birthday 2019 Valentine's Day 2019 Bonanza Ballads Level 2

View all badges

Post by Lisal » Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I give the episode a B in regards to plot, etc and for where it falls on my list of favorites but it gets extra credit for 1)Adam in a pale yellow shirt with dark vest, 2) the replant-a-tree-for-each-tree-you-cut-down lesson and 3)Adam in a pale yellow shirt with blue scarf.

Just kidding. I also like the scenery and the marksmanship scene and eye roll, as mentioned by you guys already. In the end, A-ish. Not a favorite but very easy on the eyes.
That's my family... which means the odds have changed.
- Adam in "Toy Soldier"

Return to “Season 1”